Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: diablo 3 beta dupes...

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Do you want a pm so you can judge? I don't want to spread it here.
    Why not? It's a beta - and the more awareness there is the better!
    Also it's easier to discuss the probable technical background and implications of it if everybody is on the same page

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Do you want a pm so you can judge? I don't want to spread it here.
    I think I would. I just want to know what's going on, because due to my "work" on the emulator (note: I'm not a programmer, but I've taken a keen interest in how it works) I may have some feedback to give to Blizzard on it.

IncGamers Member Grayson Carlyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Risingred View Post
    I mostly (still) agree with the article about why duping would be impossible in Diablo III.
    I wrote that article, and it was based off the apparently incorrect assumption that items would be their own stored entity. Or maybe they are and the AH handles things separately, but I doubt that. Perhaps I underestimated the impossibility of inserting and deleting the amount of items that D3 has to handle server-side, considering the hundreds that are created every time someone starts a new game and it's simply not feasible to use a database, even a RAM-based one.

I've been specifically avoiding looking at the details of how D3 works, preferring to remain blissfully ignorant so that I wouldn't walk down that path again. But trading and the AH are far too much a part of how I wanted to be playing this game to overlook duping. I now plan to attempt to seclude myself from interacting with the rest of the D3 population and play a purist style with my friend when the game goes live. D3 with duping will just sadly not be the long-term game I wanted it to be because trading is what would keep it going for me. If Blizzard somehow manages to minimize the impact of each dupe method as they are found, or actually gives in and writes code to actively handle dupes as they are created, realizing that dupes will be created, then I could probably be playing D3 for a very long time to come.

pickles, unfortunately, cannot PM anyone his knowledge yet because he doesn't have 10 posts. He's got your BattleTag though, Red.

IncGamers Member

Okay one PM sent to Risingred, will wait a bit before deciding if I should post it public.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson Carlyle View Post
    I wrote that article, and it was based off the apparently incorrect assumption that items would be their own stored entity. Or maybe they are and the AH handles things separately, but I doubt that. Perhaps I underestimated the impossibility of inserting and deleting the amount of items that D3 has to handle server-side, considering the hundreds that are created every time someone starts a new game and it's simply not feasible to use a database, even a RAM-based one.

I've been specifically avoiding looking at the details of how D3 works, preferring to remain blissfully ignorant so that I wouldn't walk down that path again. But trading and the AH are far too much a part of how I wanted to be playing this game to overlook duping. I now plan to attempt to seclude myself from interacting with the rest of the D3 population and play a purist style with my friend when the game goes live. D3 with duping will just sadly not be the long-term game I wanted it to be because trading is what would keep it going for me. If Blizzard somehow manages to minimize the impact of each dupe method as they are found, or actually gives in and writes code to actively handle dupes as they are created, realizing that dupes will be created, then I could probably be playing D3 for a very long time to come.

pickles, unfortunately, cannot PM anyone his knowledge yet because he doesn't have 10 posts. He's got your BattleTag though, Red.
    It did allow me to send the PM, strange.

Edit: RisingRed can you confirm receiving the PM?

IncGamers Member Grayson Carlyle's Avatar

Excellent! We also have 20 messages now, instead of 10.

BattleTag wolfpaq777-1423

I don't understand why so many people say "dupes are possible" without specifying how. FFS the game is not live, you need to spread the news with clear replication steps to as many places as possible. Post here, Post on reddit, Post on the bnet beta bug forums, post on diablo fans, post on D3sanc, get the news out to as many people as possible to pressure Blizzard into fixing it. NO ONE wants a repeat of D2's mess.

It seriously makes me think people are making things up for attention.

IncGamers Member

Very well.. Here goes:

The easiest one atm. is taking for example an amulet and putting it in either stash or inventory(equipped rarely works), going to list it then do the following fast:

Double click item to sell
    CTRL+A to highlight bid value
    Random number
    TAB
    Random buyout
    Create auction
    Quickly cancel auction

Nearly all the time, if done fast enough, the items stays in the list to the left, so you can list it again and cancel the auction. After that go to the "Completed tab" and you will have fx. 3 amulets cancelled. You can only send one to stash since they have identical ID's, but all you have to do is send item, join game, leave, send the next and so on..

Any questions?

BattleTag wolfpaq777-1423

Wow that was quick. Thank you! I will test this when I get home.

IncGamers Member

Yeah well, just copied the PM sent to RisingRed

Edit: For some reason only some items work, it seems random. Some helms work, some don't etc.