Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Sorceress in hell.. advice needed

Hello!

Tried some searches came up sort of blank..

This is my only character, new, so no supergear yet..

Looks like i cant farm too much in nightmare, so I need to go on in hell..

Problem is, my character is 60 now, i got an act5 normal barbarian merc.

I put my points as following:
    20 points blizzard
    20points glacial spike
    15points fireball
    1 in fire/cold mastery.
    1 teleport
    1 static field
    1 warmth..

my gear is pretty bad..
    just got skin of vipermagi, so that may help with elemental damage in hell.
    i had a plain 600defense armor before that.

Anyways, basicly when i try to play in hell, i just die.
    Im a little low level to be in hell yet i guess, and my gear is not up to it.

I try to use some MF, have a about 97MF so far.

Basicly, my question is, which elemental school should i choose for PVM, pure PVM ( im playing single player)
    I noticed lightning was doing most damage, but had lowest average damage.
    I cant use the nice infinity runeword as im not in ladder.

I got a lot of runes, but nothing higher than lum yet.

So, should i keep putting points into fireball for now, to get that damage up?
    Or should i reset again and go into lightning as main, with cold as backup?

My stats are about as following..
    up to 100 in strenght total.
    50 in energy total. 75 with gear.( this is way too low, especially with warmth only at level 1)
    i got about 110 total in vitality, and about 110 points unspent..
    I just reset my character, cause i had no alternative damage, and my merc sucks, so he cant take out groups of monsters which are immune to cold.
    My fireball did only like 70-80dmg before reset. now its 260..

This i should keep putting points in to vita, or go higher in energy? i have 2 more resets.
    but would prefer not to have to use them..

i heard SOJ dropped mostly off andariel in NM, so farmed her a bit today to no luck..

I found a nagel ring earlier though.

Drops are the same in singleplayer as on closed battlenet?(i played there before, but those characters are long gone)

Anyways, thanks for your time! Much appreciate it if anyone has some advice.

IncGamers Member

Re: Sorceress in hell.. advice needed

Okay first, level 60 is a bit low for hell.
    You need to fix your build. Glacial spike does nothing and blizzard doesn't even add damage to it. Max ice blast instead. Otherwise it seems to be okay.

You can use RWM ( rune word mod ) to enable ladder only runewords in single player. Make insight in an exceptional polearm ( or elite if you have it ), and stick it on a defiance merc ( act 2 normal defensive )

Don't put any points in energy. Mana items + insight > energy.
    Put them all in vita or the moment. Later if you find a blocking shield and want to use one, you can respec to max block. Also, don't go overboard on strength. 80 is a good enough number to equip almost anything on a sorceress. The only heavy item you can have is a spirit monarch, and monarchs don't drop till act 3 hell.

What are your resists at the moment? Try not to be negative in any of them. And try to have fire and lightning as high as possible.

As for mf, it only makes sense if you want to run NM andariel/ mephisto/ Baal. I wouldn't suggest mf in hell , not yet. Fill those mf gear slots with resist gear or +skills gear. I do suggest Baal running though. It will level you up nicely, and you can enter hell at level 70+

Last edited by zaphodbrx; 29-01-2012 at 02:18.

IncGamers Member

Blizzballer is a good build, gear and level issues are probably the bigger issue than spec. As zaphod says, ice blast is better than glacial spike, but since you'll be using fireball as your primary untimered attack, there's no real need for you to use a respec on it. At some point down the road you'll want to respec for some other reason, and you can move those points then.

A "rhyme" shield and a "lore" hat are always good easy gear bits. If you end up installing RWM like zaphod suggested then a spirit crystal sword as well as insight for your merc are excellent additions.

I'll second the suggestion to run NM baal until you're level 70 or so, you need a stronger fireball before you can start doing much in hell.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Okay first, level 60 is a bit low for hell.
    You need to fix your build. Glacial spike does nothing and blizzard doesn't even add damage to it. Max ice blast instead. Otherwise it seems to be okay.
    First off, thanks for the answer!

My build is ok, if you recheck the skilltree you will see Glacial Spike does add damage to Blizzard, as much as ice bolt and ice blast does.
    It is true ice blast does more damage though, but glacial does aoe freeze, which is pretty handy when fighting monsters which can kill you in a few hits.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx
    You can use RWM ( rune word mod ) to enable ladder only runewords in single player. Make insight in an exceptional polearm ( or elite if you have it ), and stick it on a defiance merc ( act 2 normal defensive )
    I tried defiance merc first, but he seemed not to do so much, but to die alot.
    Im trying the act 5now, though he has lower health and defense, he seems to be doing ok, he attacks more i think.
    But he dies a lot when i attempt hell.. So maybe i should take up and act2 again.

I also found no gear to put on the act5, while i have 2-3 elite polearms for the act 2..

Don't put any points in energy. Mana items + insight > energy.
    I have to put points in energy so far, else i empty my manapool by casting 3 blizzards.. The belt only carries so many potions.
    I've had some bad luck on the charm-side so far.

What are your resists at the moment? Try not to be negative in any of them. And try to have fire and lightning as high as possible.
    My resists in hell are as following:
    Fire -3
    Cold 75
    lightning - 10
    poison -20

Im working on adding more resistance, but the gear i put on also need to be good in other things aswell.

As for mf, it only makes sense if you want to run NM andariel/ mephisto/ Baal. I wouldn't suggest mf in hell , not yet. Fill those mf gear slots with resist gear or +skills gear. I do suggest Baal running though. It will level you up nicely, and you can enter hell at level 70+
    I am running bosses, but i assume its a little pointless until i get to hell, as i miss out on so many of the potential drops.
    I am not choosing pieces with more MF, if i loose out on resistance, or lots of defense. Just for a few more MF points.

My defence is only 628, you guys think its a bad idea to wear "skin of the vipermagi" due to its +30 to all resistances, instead of a plain 602 def armor?
    As a sorceress you arent supposed to tank, so I believe its better this way, but ranged normal attacks would do way more damage now yes?

I can see potential problems in act2 and act3 with this setup.. Aswell as act5 spear throwers/archers.

Though a lot of items can drop until i get there.

I got enough runes for both Rhyme and Splendor.. and have been waiting for a good grim shield drop.

I nearly want to start a laddercharacter for the additional runewords i can get there.
    Im not much for addons, I wouldn't get into trouble if i play open battle net with a modded character?

Ofcourse, last time i played open, i ran into hacked guys all the time, with godly damages and insane stats.. cheated characters..

So i switched to closed net, which is much better, but these days seems emtpy and full of bots.
    I play on the europe portal.

Thanks magicrectangle for your advices and inputs aswell.

Any general ideas which immunities i can run into the least in hell difficulty?
    I will mainly run act3 mephisto and act 5 baal when i manage to get through hell.
    Some Andariel.

Im looking for gear with this character, to equip it, and potential other characters which would have a harder time doing quick MF/loot runs.

IncGamers Member

Glacial spike does very little damage, blizzard does not give glacial any damage at all just freeze length, while ice blast gets a hefty boost from blizzard. Thats not the biggest of your problems but I'm just pointing it out.

If you use the RWM mod, you can enable insight in single player and most of your mana problems will go away.
    By the way Rhyme is also a ladder only runeword.. you need RWM for that too.

Also cold resists are not really needed and I have no idea how you managed to max that, try to get other resists instead.
    Yes, use the vipermagi! There is almost no difference between 300 def and 600 def. In fact there is almost no difference between 300 and 3000 def. It is only at about 7000+ def that it starts to matter more.

You can get a lot of items in nightmare, its not useless at all to mf NM baal. Eg, you can get Oculus, shako, etc.

By the way.. I am not really sure if you're single player. SP usually means you have the character on your own machine , instead of logging on to Bnet.. Atleast thats how I understand it. So don't connect to bnet at all.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Glacial spike does very little damage, blizzard does not give glacial any damage at all just freeze length, while ice blast gets a hefty boost from blizzard. Thats not the biggest of your problems but I'm just pointing it out.

If you use the RWM mod, you can enable insight in single player and most of your mana problems will go away.
    By the way Rhyme is also a ladder only runeword.. you need RWM for that too.

Also cold resists are not really needed and I have no idea how you managed to max that, try to get other resists instead.
    Yes, use the vipermagi! There is almost no difference between 300 def and 600 def. In fact there is almost no difference between 300 and 3000 def. It is only at about 7000+ def that it starts to matter more.

You can get a lot of items in nightmare, its not useless at all to mf NM baal. Eg, you can get Oculus, shako, etc.

By the way.. I am not really sure if you're single player. SP usually means you have the character on your own machine , instead of logging on to Bnet.. Atleast thats how I understand it. So don't connect to bnet at all.
    Ah yes, that is true about glacial spike, its damage are basicly bad.
    But aoe+aoe freeze saves the day often.. I must admit i had iceblast before reset yesterday.
    All the guides and opinions is a bit hard to filter.

I am not a new player, but I havent played for 12 years. So I'm basicly new.

Cold resist is that high cause i found a few small charms with resist in cold. and no other cathegories..

My old Mf character was a nova/orb sorceress around level 97, with most the good items you can can easily obtain..
    I seem to recall her killspeed wasn't that great, which is why i try other things now.

every site i have checked lists rhyme as a normal game runeword. Ill report back after i find a shield to socket. not like shael and eth are very rare.

I have a few items with resistance to cold at 39,32,19 resist.. also the charms.. each of these items have other resistancebits on them aswell.. obviously not that great ones

you guys would recommend i go back to act2 normal and buy me an act 2 defensive merc instead of my current act5 one?
    The one i got now is level 62, brought up from 30-40ish when I got him.

I play single player, but you can use those singleplayer characters on battle.net open.
    I have 2 copies of diablo, so i can change gear back and forth with myself, using 2 computers.

I think I managed to run Baal on my old sorceress i believe, without problem. Though of course, Baal himself usually isnt the problem, its the throneroom that makes it hard for me usually..

IncGamers Member

Ah sorry I meant spirit, not rhyme. Spirit in a crystal sword is a good weapon, and you'll be wanting to make a spirit shield too.
    Merc will be hired at about the same level your character is, so that's not a problem.

I have 2 copies of diablo, so i can change gear back and forth with myself, using 2 computers.
    This is very inefficient. Just use ATMA.

IncGamers Site Pal crawlingdeadman's Avatar

glacial spike is awesome.

IncGamers Member

Dead stuff is more awesome than frozen stuff. The DPS output from iceblast is quite good.

IMHO, you should play an Orb-it-aller if you intent to MF at lvl60. Blizzballer's advantage is that it has a timered spell + a spammable spell in both elements. This cannot be achieved at lvl60, thus a lvl60 Blizzballer is simply worse than a lvl60 Orb-it-aller. That said, at this lvl it is not a good idea to MF in Hell. NM Andy/Meph/Trav/Baal/Chaos are all good for you.

Also, there are some fine gear advices already mentioned here. With RWM, your priorities should be:

- 'Spirit' sword
    - 'Lore' helmet
    - 'Rhyme' shield

- 'Insight' polearm: exceptional or elite base (merc)
    - Life leech helmet (merc)
    - 'Treachery' or 'Smoke' armor (merc)

I value FCR breakpoints very high for all sorcs, including starting ones. 63% FCR will mean you will be able to safely tele away from most mobs before their attack hits you. After FCR come the resists, with Light and Fire being the most critical ones (not only are they the deadliest, but also you get Thawing and Antidote potions for the 2 remaining elements). +skills is always nice to have and is the next priority, but do remember that a dead sorc will do 0 dmg.