Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BattleTag Zokar -1451

Re: Beta testers whats up with dodge?

so, are the horizontal lines indicative of no benefit from additional dex or just extremely small benefit, or an artifact of just not having sufficient data to illustrate the correct behavior, or something entirely different?

If this is really a step function, then I am completely baffled by the decision. Which indicates to me that something else is at play here...

IncGamers Member

I think that even if they cap of dodge blizzard set at 75% or 70% that would be still op.
    Let's see fully geared monk would have for example defence enough to avoid 50% of enemy hits and 50% resists on each element.
    Dodge sources:
    Passive
    20-25% from stats if not more..
    15% Passive Guardian Path
    15% Mantra
    10-20% Passive skill Sixth sense cannot be any worse then Guardian Path.. if not better..
    60%-75% (That s give nearly cap,there s can be also dodge from items who know?)
    Active
    20% Dashing strike (3sec) 25spirit (Pretty much spamable)
    15% Mantra (3sec) 50spirit! ouch
    35%
    Let's add all:95%-110% dodge... let s remove active bonus from mantra : 80%-95%

Skill Resolve give us 25%dmg reduction (2.5ses debuff on target after attack)
    Inner Sanctuary Circle of Protection dmg reduction 35% (5sec debuff global for all enemies, cooldown 20sec) 30spirit

Let's make summary:
    Let's say we got 55% passive dodge and 20% from dashing strike for 3 sec (spamable) that s give 75%
    Add to this 50% for avoid chance and 50% resists to reduce spell dmg
    Add to this in hard fight against stron mini bosses and bosses 25% dmg reduction and 1/4 time another 35%reduction of dmg.
    Let's calculate how much dmg can deal to us single strong enemy: 1/4 x 1/2 x {3/4 - [100/(35/4/)]100} = 1/8 x 75/100-11/100= 1/8 x 64/100 = 0.08 Let's multiply it = 100x0.08 = 8% dmg

Yes this is with what numbers will have to deal with monk if reach 50%avoid from defence and 50% resists on elements and cap would be "only 75%"

Now consider situation when our monk got some decent life steal on same rules as other characters (because how can be different that 's impossible) and monk look like freaking high dmg class.. cant imagine him as character who deal less dmg then wich doctor or barbarian.

Let s think about this 8% dmg it's simply funny it makes our life steal 10x stronger in term of regenerating our life tab.
    5000dps monk wil regen with 10% life steal on inferno 500hp/sec Let's say we got 10k life and we lose 8% of our dmg/sec =800dmg Quick calculate: 800dmg from monster - 500 cause of life steal = 300 dmg/sec from monster He can kill us after 30sec if we doesnt use health potion or pick red orb. Easy mode

IncGamers Member Such Violent Storms's Avatar

Dodge has breakpoints. 1000 dex currently yeilds around 31% innate dodge I believe.

Here's the current scaling of Dodge from Dexterity at all character levels:

Code:
     Dex Range      Dodge% / Dex

0 -  100         0.1
     100 -  500         0.025
     500 - 1000         0.02
    1000 - 8000         0.01

100 Dexterity =  10% chance to dodge
     500 Dexterity =  20% chance to dodge
    1000 Dexterity =  30% chance to dodge
    2000 Dexterity =  40% chance to dodge
    8000 Dexterity = 100% chance to dodge
    Also, Dodge and DR% from different sources don't stack additively. 30% Dodge from DEX and 15% from Mantra of Evasion equals 40.5% Dodge. DR% from Armor and Resists most likely stack the same way.

Last edited by HardRock; 01-05-2012 at 06:44.

IncGamers Member

I'm guessing it works like magic find where it is a % of a really small number rather than a % of attacks dodged.

Like if you have 50% magic find, 50% of the items you find aren't magic items. You just have 50% more magic find than the base amount. Same would go with dodge?

No, if you have 30% dodge, then you will dodge 30% of all incoming attacks, which includes melee attacks, projectiles and even AoE.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    No, if you have 30% dodge, then you will dodge 30% of all incoming attacks, which includes melee attacks, projectiles and even AoE.
    Can you verify that Dodge avoids all attack types even including magic? How do you know?

I know, because I tried it against the elemental attacks enemies use in the beta. Here's an old video Risingred recorded as a demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug454JiZYFQ

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    I know, because I tried it against the elemental attacks enemies use in the beta. Here's an old video Risingred recorded as a demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug454JiZYFQ
    I see. I take it that the beta client does not allow MPQ deconstructing based on the nature of the threads I have seen.

Do you have some idea of who is prepared to decode the MPQs on release, and/or if the useful formulas (not the boring item stuff on d2nut) will be posted on release? I am talking about damage, IAS/framing, dodge/block/armor, etc.

i guess there may be a cap for dodge?