Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BattleTag Zokar -1451

Re: Beta testers whats up with dodge?

Quote Originally Posted by shoko View Post
    That's *damage* not *chance* I like imagining silly things like 500% crit damage builds where you just walk around slowly killing stuff and every once in a while something just completely gets destroyed and blown to bits all over the screen in a massive violent blood bath from hell!!! RAWR!!! Bring it on!

BattleTag Zokar -1451

Quote Originally Posted by koticgood View Post
    Multiplicative stacking is quite limiting just by itself. If you were to introduce a hard cap, there would be little reason to have more than 1-2 total sources of dodge (unless high end dexterity --> dodge is minimal, but that would be silly given it's a primary stat for two classes).

Maybe a good idea would be to treat every source of dexterity as a separate source of dodge. It seems far easier to balance things that way. You would still get a good chunk from your base dexterity, which would be a decent amount at level 60 I presume, then every source from items would be like having +dodge, instead of adding to your dexterity pool.
    I'll grant that I haven't actually spent time thinking about this too much, but it seems strange to me right now that all the skill based dodge stuff are multiplicative but dodge from dex is additive. I'm sure it is for a reason, but it's still early for me to think about it hehe!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zokar View Post
    I'll grant that I haven't actually spent time thinking about this too much, but it seems strange to me right now that all the skill based dodge stuff are multiplicative but dodge from dex is additive. I'm sure it is for a reason, but it's still early for me to think about it hehe!
    Well, it is rather organic/common sense for dex to be "additive." It's not chunks of dodge being additive. It's just, you have a certain number of dexterity, say 253, that's listed on your attribute sheet, so naturally it just seems like one solid chunk of dex. But it might be a good idea to calculate the dex from items and other sources as separate instances for balance purposes. Maybe not though; I'm sure Blizzard will find/has a way.

BattleTag Brokenstorm-1880

There has to be a hard cap for the dodge % you can get from dexterity, or at some point it must stop being a linear increase.

Since at lvl60 you would have 187 base dex (if stats gain remain constant).
    You can get 200 dex from Amulet, Boots, Gloves, Weapon so you could easily get 1000+ dex which would give you over 100% dodge from your dex.

BattleTag Zokar -1451

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenstorm View Post
    There has to be a hard cap for the dodge % you can get from dexterity, or at some point it must stop being a linear increase.

Since at lvl60 you would have 187 base dex (if stats gain remain constant).
    You can get 200 dex from Amulet, Boots, Gloves, Weapon so you could easily get 1000+ dex which would give you over 100% dodge from your dex.
    Or the dodge per dex decreases as we level beyond some point... At any rate, we can assume that if Blizzard doesn't want a broken game that they will have thought this out to ensure that a fully decked dex monk doesn't go much above 75% or so... we'll have to see how these stats change if at all.

Dodge only increase linearly up to 100dex. not quite sure what the formula is after that.

I can warrant a guess as to what Dex will do past the 100 mark. Blizzard likes making all these sources of dodge multiplicative. For example, I always thought that the "extra 25%" three second bonus on the mantra would add with the other to make 50%, but when I checked, it actually multiplied to make 43.75%.

My guess is that every "batch of 100 dexterity" will multiply with each other. For example, if you have 565 dexterity, your dodge chance would be
    1 - [(0.9)^5]*0.935 = 44.79% chance to dodge.

In that case, 1000 dex, which was previously postulated to give us 100% dodge, would give us 65.13% dodge.

This is a total guess, not based on a lot, except to help justify why the first 100 was linear. It's worth testing for dexterity past 100. The prediction would be that for a dexterity of 100 + x; x<100; we would have dodge chance 1 - 0.9*(1-x/1000).

I got my dex up to 197. From 100 dex the dodge change increases in steps in a quasi linear way at 1/4 the rate it did originally.
    If dodge change continues to increase in this way, we will need 3700 dex to get 100% dodge.

http://i.imgur.com/pO0X2.png

BattleTag Zokar -1451

odd... wonder how this will be different at lvl 60.

BattleTag shoko-2476

Quote Originally Posted by Zokar View Post
    That's *damage* not *chance* I like imagining silly things like 500% crit damage builds where you just walk around slowly killing stuff and every once in a while something just completely gets destroyed and blown to bits all over the screen in a massive violent blood bath from hell!!! RAWR!!! Bring it on!
    ohh sh.... i have to buy a new pair of glasses :>