Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Fire and lightning sorc

So I've got an Ormus robes with +3 fireball and +15 lskills , and another with +3 meteor +15 lskill. So I want to make a fire/lightning sorceress. So far I was thinking Fireball+meteor, Chain lightning+lightning mastery. Any other ideas?

IncGamers Member

Re: Fire and lightning sorc

Meteor/Fireball + Nova. CL is too weak without synergies. The key to good dual-tree builds is to have one of the skills be strong without synergies and pump synergies on the other. Nova is the only lightning skill that is good unsynergized (since it has no synergies). Just max Nova and Lightning Mastery, leaving the rest of your points available for maxing meteor, fireball, and fire mastery.

It should play pretty similarly to a Blizzard/Nova sorc. You've got Meteor instead of Blizzard, Fireball instead of Ice Blast, and of course Nova. Granted Meteor is balls compared to Blizzard, but Fireball is better than Ice Blast, so that helps make up for it.

I'm not sure which Ormus I'd use with it. I'd have to play around with the build for a while to get a feel for whether meteor or fireball would be used more. I'd guess that it would go something like a blizz sorc - cast a meteor on the mess, then teleport directly onto the spot you cast the meteor (enemies won't run out of it, they'll run towards it - towards you) then spam nova. Of course after trying that a few times it might turn out that nova kills stuff off before the meteor even lands (at least, in p1), so you might end up just using fireball against light immunes and only hitting meteor against bosses or nasty looking ranged packs.

It is also worth mentioning that I don't recommend any kind of Nova build unless you have CtA to get your HP up to a reasonable level, and at least 60 FHR (preferably 86, not hard with spirit monarch giving 55). After all, Nova has you right up in there, tanking with your face.

Last edited by magicrectangle; 17-01-2012 at 03:56.

FB/Nova is an extremely fun build. i would pretty much disregard the meteor, except maybe for moating mephisto or diablo/baal. i havenīt really run them with this build.
    bu i wouldnīt use an ormus on this build. both fire mastery and light mastery add a high percentage to the dmg, so the few percent from eshuta or ormus wonīt matter much, but certainly can work.

i would aim for 105 fcr, 86 fhr, high %dr and max block - this excludes the tal set, but if u prefer not using MB tals would probably be a very good option. %dr and max block are for saving ur life when u have to nova down the pesky FIs that explode in your face. that really takes the edge off of them:

my prefered equip would look like this:

spirit sword 35 fcr for the 55 fhr and huge mana boost
    SoVM 'shael'
    griffon or 2 sorc circ maybe with 20 fcr otherwise fcr rings are needed
    storm shield
    mages
    2* soj or mana res rings
    mara, tals amu or anything with skills mana and res
    thundergod
    for boots what ever is needed
    skiller, life and mana charms + probably 11 fhr from the charms somewhere

Last edited by Krupa; 17-01-2012 at 15:22.

IncGamers Member

Really, does the +% work that way?
    Like if Lightning mastery adds 350%, and then ormus gives +15%, so it becomes 365% ?
    If that is so then it sucks balls and I would never use it, I thought it will add on after all the skill bonuses had been considered ( ie if we did 1000 dmg without ormus, we would do 1150 dmg with ormus )

that is exactly how it works. that is why -res% is better for fire, light and +dmg% for cold as the mastery does the corresponding other

Ye, +% sums with fire and lightning mastery in that way so it's really not that great. The only char I'll ever use an Ormus on is my echantress I use to buff other chars...

IncGamers Member

Okay, so I've ditched that idea.
    But I really want to do something with lightning, so how about chain lightning/frozen orb?
    CL, lightning, LM,FO max with remaining points in CM.

guide to that build

iīve tried it in 1.12 and used mainly lightning insted of cl, maybe thats me. recently i tried a blova build and it works better, but a orb/cl is more fun imo. and fb/nova even more so

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krupa View Post
    iīve tried it in 1.12 and used mainly lightning insted of cl, maybe thats me. recently i tried a blova build and it works better, but a orb/cl is more fun imo. and fb/nova even more so
    How is orb/cl more fun than blova? Any build that uses nova is insanely aggressive, and therefor great fun.

As you say, blova is more powerful than orb/cl, but blova also pretty much requires CtA, whereas orb/cl can be done with any old trash gear. I like orb/cl as a low-gear dual spec more than meteorb just because of the sheer volume of fire immunes.

IncGamers Member

I thought about this and decided to make blizzard nova sorceress. I have vex and ohm rune. Sure I already have a full Tal's blizzballer already, but I like sorcs. Blizzard is fun.
    Purpose of the sorc with be MF and general area running/LK etc.

I'm thinking the following items
    Harlequin crest ( NV would be better and I have one, but there's no mf in it )
    Skullder's Ire/ Vipermagi
    HOTO or the Oculus
    Oculus has better MF but also has the annoying teleport. Waiting for Pul to complete Hoto flail
    Spirit monarch
    Call to arms ( high time I made one, but waiting on Mal and Ist )
    Spirit monarch
    Chance guards/magefist
    Arachnid mesh
    Nagelrings/ 10 fcr ring
    War traveller
    Mara's kaleidoscope

I'm undecided as to whether use Vipermagi or skullders. Skullders would mean I have to give up chance guards and nagelring to get to 105 fcr, but that seems better given that skullders has more mf.

Any other suggestion?