Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator Holyknight3000's Avatar
    BattleTag Holyknight-1111

SOPA is (Shelved)... one down, and one more to go...

I just received word that SOPA is dead:

In a surprise move today, Representative Eric Cantor(R-VA) announced that he will stop all action on SOPA, effectively killing the bill. This move was most likely due to several things. One of those things is that SOPA and PIPA met huge online protest against the bills. Another reason would be that the White House threatened to veto the bill if it had passed. However, it isn't quite time yet to celebrate, as PIPA(the Senate's version of SOPA) is still up for consideration.
    http://www.examiner.com/computers-in...use-kills-sopa One down and another to go. I'm looking at PROTECT IP (PIPA). I can breathe easier but not fully until PIPA is gone.

HK

(PS: Sigh I thought too soon; sorry guys keep up the good fight. I know I am!)

Your friendly neighborhood Fan Creations Forum Moderator
    Creator of the Fiery Runes Series and Chronicles of the Dark Library
    Have any questions or suggestions please send me a Message

- The Runeweaver -

Re: SOPA is dead... one down, and one more to go...

Unfortunately you can't really breath easier yet. The bill is shelved, not killed. It can be brought back at any time. Not only that, but unpopular bills like this have a habit of attaching themselves to other bills, causing opposition to choose between allowing it to become law or being accused of "throwing granny off a cliff".

this is mildly embarassing but other than that the bill is designed to stop piracy, I don't even know what's in it and why it will lead to the death of the internet. what's the clause that's got everyone all worked up?

D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator Holyknight3000's Avatar
    BattleTag Holyknight-1111

Quote Originally Posted by Glurin View Post
    Unfortunately you can't really breath easier yet. The bill is shelved, not killed. It can be brought back at any time. Not only that, but unpopular bills like this have a habit of attaching themselves to other bills, causing opposition to choose between allowing it to become law or being accused of "throwing granny off a cliff".
    Sigh then we must always be vigilant then. I hate how this crap even came into being.

Your friendly neighborhood Fan Creations Forum Moderator
    Creator of the Fiery Runes Series and Chronicles of the Dark Library
    Have any questions or suggestions please send me a Message

- The Runeweaver -

Quote Originally Posted by Glurin View Post
    they should make a law stopping that bundling laws deal, and they should not bundle SOPA into said law.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator View Post
    this is mildly embarassing but other than that the bill is designed to stop piracy, I don't even know what's in it and why it will lead to the death of the internet. what's the clause that's got everyone all worked up?
    To put it simply, it's way too broad and way too open to abuse. SOPA gives the Great Firewall of China a run for its money in terms of draconian censorship potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator View Post
    It's kinda like a DMCA takedown process . . . but for entire websites at the DNS level . . . and without a counter-notice process . . . and the ISP who complies gets immunity from any resulting consequences.

------------------------------------------
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Like the result but not digging the NDAA more

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Like the result but not digging the NDAA more
    It's cool. Romney said he was all for the NDAA, because American's should just elect presidents that don't abuse it. Simple!

------------------------------------------
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Re: SOPA is (Shelved)... one down, and one more to go...

Well, even if PIPA gets through to the Pres., Obama has said that he'll veto both if they get near him. We don't have much to worry about, and I really doubt it'll get a 2/3 majority override, as it's such an unpopular bill.

Don't get me wrong though, all actions against PIPA are great!