Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BattleTag kestegs-1550

Re: OT: The SPF Path of Exile Thread

Good Necro, I was thinking we needed something here anyways.

I started playing yesterday and am absolutely loving it so far. This game looks to have loads of potential and diversity.

I'm not exactly sure how to add friends but I think if you go to the social tab you can add the name of a character that your friend has. I saw that this morning at least, but didn't know anyone to test it out on.

Anyways, I've got a ranger (I think, lol) by the name of "twangstegs" that anyone can add if they want.

What is the itemization like? Are the uniques as special as they are in D2, or are they along the lines of D3 and T2 with nothing being OP? Are there sets? Looks like the bulbs, inventory, etc. is virtually identical to D2 - is there a very limited stash like D2? Any limit on the number of characters you can create?

Gieb info, plz!

The game was a lot funnier in the beggining. Now it fells like d3 grinding for paragon levels, probably because I'm not exploring my skills well. Very weird... Early game, apparently boring midgame and probably ton of stuff to balance on late game (right sockets on right items with max level right stuff) . It's fun, but the moving one dot each half hour or so is kinda annoying sometimes.

I'm playing with a duelist (duel wielding tank) named BaronScorpio - and I think I discoverd by accident from where Verdi pulled that name... Fell free to add me, just tell you're a complete stranger trying to get personal data to kidnap me in real life and I'll add you.

Anyway, the game is very fun and addictive. I only stopped playing because the client crashed due to some waterfall-random-noise-something-missing-ish. I seriously recommend it. It ain't another cartoonish ARPG, and that is good enough, imo.

---------

@RobbyD: Itemization is like D1-D2, I don't know about the sets. The item system reminds me Final Fantasy VII a lot.

Essentially, items have sockets, connected or not. There are skill gems that evolve with you as long as they're placed on sockets. You have a blue rock called "Fireball", and it levels making the skill stronger. Items have base stuff like attributes, armor bonuses, resistances, ll, ml, etc.

Problem is that sometimes you find useless junk (for you). If the stash (big one, 4 tabs) is shared between characters, I'll try alternates, since I have gems like rain of arrows, lightning arrow, fireball and no use for them on my dw duelist. Or I can choose to go dual wield on main hand with a bow on switch...

That makes the build diversity a lot like D&D (before a flood of Dragon Magazine content). Technically, you have endless possibilities considering the amount of passive skills and "multiclassing". In the end you choose your class based on your main stat(s) and where it's placed on skill tree.

As you level, you get auto allocated stat points and can choose a passive skill from the 1k+ skills tree/map, which contains lots of "+10 <stat>" between the stuff you want.
    Last edited by BaronScarpia; 24-01-2013 at 18:14. Reason: @RobbyD

IncGamers Member

I have started with a maruader; high life + high life regen with Resolute Technique and Blood Magic. This is one of the easier builds to roll with, without heavy reliance on gear. I actually dont like this character too much, mostly playing him to find gear for a physical dmg bow ranger and later a dual wield ranger or duelist.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyD View Post
    What is the itemization like? Are the uniques as special as they are in D2, or are they along the lines of D3 and T2 with nothing being OP? Are there sets? Looks like the bulbs, inventory, etc. is virtually identical to D2 - is there a very limited stash like D2? Any limit on the number of characters you can create?

Gieb info, plz!
    Stash tabs are limited to 4 pages 12x12 and 24 character slots. You can buy more of both in the microtransaction shop.
    Reg. itemisation. The big difference between PoE and D2, is that in PoE the focus is on crafting gear. Different currency items can alter an item in different ways. the transmutation orb makes an basic item into a magic item (1 pre- and/or suffix). Orb of alteration rerolls mods of an item. Regal orb transforms a magic item into a rare item and adds a mod. Exalted orb adds a mod to a rare item. The alchemy orb makes a white item into a rare item with 4-6 random mods. And there are many more currency items which alters item in different ways.

The very best items are completely hand crafted:
    1) Find the best base item
    2) Turn into magic item and roll best prefix and suffix (say phys dmg + IAS)
    3) Make it into a rare item. If the mod added did not suit you go to 2)
    4) Add a mod to the rare item. If the mod added did not suit you go to 2)
    5) Add a mod to the rare item. If the mod added did not suit you go to 2)
    6) Add a mod to the rare item. If the mod added did not suit you go to 2)
    7) You now have the ultimate item.

This is of course nearly impossible to achieve as some of the required currency items are rather rare (more rare than a high rune in 1.13) and you are going to start over ALOT of times.

E.g. I found a rather good rare bow with phys dmg, cold dmg, crit damage and crit chance. First time I used the Exalted orb to add mod to this I got a little bit extra phys dmg from another dmg mod. The second time I a "exalted" it I got IAS. Thus I ended up with a quite good bow with all 6 mods dmg related. I have of course also tried the opposite. I had a quite good armor and the extra mod I got was "damage reflected to attacker" which is as useless as in D2.

Another big difference is how skills works. Skill comes in the form of gems (items again). All your gear have sockets for gems. These sockets might be linked. If two sockets are linked you could insert a skill gem and a support gem, say Heavy Strike and Added Fire Damage. Your Heavy Strike skill will now be augmented with extra fire damage. Another example could be Lightning Arrow with Fork and Reduced Mana Cost.
    Body armor and two handed weapon can have up to six sockets all linked. Thus you can have a skill which is augmented with five extra effects. This is mighty strong. As you might have guessed by now; there exists currency items (orbs) to reroll sockets and links between sockets to get that elusive six linked item. This can easily require 1000 of orbs which are quite an investment time wise to obtain.

IncGamers Member

The problem I have with Path of Exile is the online only part. Lags, spikes, disconnects, beeing forced to play with strangers, etc. are just not my thing.
    I had really high hopes for Torchlight 2. But in the end the item system is fairly crap, maybe because they copied it from D3 it seems. I have put about 100 hours into the game but gameplay will only get you so far. An ARPG is about both gameplay and items. Since it is heavily moddable, hopefully someone will make a good mod overhauling the item system or make a 'diablo 2 mod' in it some day.
    Marvel heroes is also another game to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    The problem I have with Path of Exile is the online only part. Lags, spikes, disconnects, beeing forced to play with strangers, etc. are just not my thing.
    I had really high hopes for Torchlight 2. But in the end the item system is fairly crap, maybe because they copied it from D3 it seems. I have put about 100 hours into the game but gameplay will only get you so far. An ARPG is about both gameplay and items. Since it is heavily moddable, hopefully someone will make a good mod overhauling the item system or make a 'diablo 2 mod' in it some day.
    Marvel heroes is also another game to watch out for.
    What I've played of it there really weren't any lag spikes unless I had a lot of mages in my party shooting fireworks at the same time. As long as you have a modern internet connection you should be fine. I have intel graphics 3000 and a 4mb avg d/l speed.

BattleTag nswhorse-1450

Downloaded it yesterday. Will have to add Bob and scam Baron. Only just started actually playing it. I'll give feedback when I've had a proper go.

Edit: The Friend invite function (which can only be accessed in-game via the party screen) uses character names, not user names. For anyone that wants to friend me:

Spoiler

is the name of my Bow-wielding Ranger.
    Last edited by Jason Maher; 25-01-2013 at 05:33.

IncGamers Member

Hi there, I also downloaded this game to see what it is and played it until lvl 28. I think it is pretty awesome game and it is much more similar to diablo2 as diablo3 is. There are basically unlimited amounts of builds you can make which is very cool, also I rly like the way items works and with the linked sockets, also the skillset can vary a lot.

At lvl 28 I found 3 uniques running around with about 40%mf, one of those uniques was superior giving even better stats.

My build I was planning was a shock summoner with wrath aura, conductivity curse and max summons and some aoe lightning spell. The idea was to proc shock at all enemys which increases damage (40% for each shock proc, which stack) even more so my minions and spell would do good damage. Lightning immunes would be covered by the minions and minion explosions. If interested, this was about the passive build I planned for far endgame. I had some hp nodes, likely it would be better to remove them and focus at energyshield, but whatever. The plan was to start focusing to get all my minion passives and then slowly add the defensive and offensive nodes as needed.

I found that most important for my items was not the stats, but having linked blue sockets, so I could link my summons with extra hp/damage and my aoe lightning spell with extra damage/penetration.
    Sadly I decided to quit the game again, just like I dont have time to play d2, I certainly dont have time to play this game.

edit:
    Though i might not be playing it anymore, this passive skilltree is so cool, I cant get away from it, I changed my planned build into an energy shield defense, ater reading the mechanics of it, this makes much mroe sense for a summoner. Here is my final 111 points build: link. Posssibly more str/dex is needed for equipment, but the 30 str/dex nodes can easily be taken in exchange for something else.
    Last edited by EasyG; 25-01-2013 at 15:31.

Jason's starting with a bowie....shocker.

I had my first play session last evening, only an hour. A lot of time was spent figuring out how to hotkey skills, where I was supposed to go, talking with NPC's, etc. so I didn't do a lot of killing. Reached level 3 with my Templar. Was disconnected from the server twice, the first time only a few minutes into my play session. When I logged back in I still had my items but was back at the starting point and was able to collect the same starting items again, which I think is a glitch. The 2nd time I didn't lose anything, I was fighting some zombies when they all stopped attacking and just followed me around for about 10 seconds until the disconnect. I'm not worried about the disconnects, this is still a beta afterall, and my internet connection isn't the best.

I thought it amusing that my hand kept creeping back to it's old D2 position with fingers F1, F2, 4, and Alt keys. I'll have to teach them a new setup, or change the keys in PoE to match my D2 setup.

My character's name is Bob_Templar, feel free to add me. I saw Baron on last night but was just figuring out the friends/chat functions when I had to sign off.

I have no idea what build I'm going to end up with, every time I look at the skills tree I get lost and start wandering around looking at various synergies (I suppose that's what you would call skills reasonably close to each other on the map). I had considered some type of summoner but it seems the summon skills are spread out across the map, and may require a dedicated INT build (Witch) to be at their best. I have a few cold damage skills so far, perhaps I should go with some sort of frost zealot-esque build. I will probably just save my skill points for awhile until something interesting drops in my lap and helps my decision.

Edit: Forgot a question, is there a way to speed up the NPC text? It's abysmally slow and I typically play with the sound off anyway so I don't care if they're speaking...

BattleTag nswhorse-1450

I'm basically aiming for an all-out bow damage glass cannon build. Using normal attack on LMB, Split Arrow on on RMB, and Poison arrow on CMB (which is my scroll wheel), with various other skill gems socketed to level them up.