Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Re: OT: The SPF Path of Exile Thread

@Moar: I've got blood magic on act 3 normal with my marauder, with ~700 life and one of the life gain on hit gems. If your skill isn't mana hungry, it's very doable and the gameplay becomes a lot more fluid - but I'm playing with a bow. Also, I gave up on rejuvenation totem, since it doesn't work that well.

One of the things with marauder is that you can't really escape from blood magic + life on hit + resolute technique combo (you always hit, so the life loss becomes hard to notice). If you add iron defenses to the mix (which is good, to make more items viable), dex becomes something you want just to level up gems or equip stuff.

Also, melee is hard imo. My duelist reached act 3 due to some sort of miracle, abusing of fire trap. (It's like having meteor dot from D2 while you try to hit stuff at melee range). Decoy totem was helpful, as well.

I have LOH on both attacks which are currently Heavy Strike and Sweep. I love Sweep, but I think Ground Slam might be better. I'll try that out tomorrow and see if I get hit less. Resolute Technique was the first I got, then made my way to BM and now on my way to more health nodes. Read about that build on the forums as newbie friendly. And a newbie I am.

Can anybody explain how to use Enduring Cry correctly and what it actually does? And why it is good using it?

IncGamers Member

It is true this game is very melee unfriendly. All of the ranged skills in this game are skillshots, which means ranged players can evade them. As melee char you are so close to the enemy that there is no time to dodge and you will take a lot of free damage. Another point as fighter compared to nuker is that you are very weapon dependant, which is a bad thing for a new player. The difference between a good weapon and a mediocre weapon is massive. You will not only kill faster but also leech life faster, take less damage.
    Until lvl 59 I used life on hit support gem, but since then I discovered it is more usefull to kill faster and keep my hp up with flasks, if you kill faster your flasks also refill faster.

Some monsters will just instakill you if you go melee into them and you dont kill/stun them immediatly. Especially for example the act 2 boss or very large monsters packs, you want some ranged skill so you can evade their damage. Ground slam is a typical marauder semi ranged skill, and lightning strike a typical elemenal melee ranged skill, like my templar.
    You can use these skills in range by holding shift while using them, when you have shift holded your character will not move and make his attack while standing. Persoanlly I find it unpleasant to hold shift so i reconfigured that to alt, and have items on ground allways shown by toggling z.
    Once you get used of it, you will do use shift/alt more often then not. Archers use it also all the time. it is much mroe easy to spawm your arrows in an area holding shift, as trying to target each mobs individually and accidently walking to them when you misstarget.

enduring cry is an aoe aggro, which makes all monsters attack you for a short period. On top of that you get 1 or more endurance charges. At lvl 1 you get 1 charge for each 14 enemies around you with a minimum of 1. Each endurance charge gives you 5% resistance and 5% physical damage reduction.

BattleTag nswhorse-1450

Is there any way to stop my scroll wheel from zooming every time I try and use my middle button skill (which I do frequently)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Maher View Post
    Is there any way to stop my scroll wheel from zooming every time I try and use my middle button skill (which I do frequently)?
    Yes, you can disable it under UI options.

IncGamers Member

im lvl 67 now and allrdy solo'd a few maps, allthough i lose just as much exp in them as I gained :P, found my first usefull legendary: lioneye's paws. And suddenly im tired of being melee. Im going to give priker a break, here are hi final stats:
    -skilltree (maybe lvl 91 is max lvl since im lvl 67 and skilltree says 24 points left)
    -75 resist all, 11456 defense (35000 with granite flask), 51% block, 6% evasion, 25 life regen, 46 mana regen, 2287 hitpoints.
    -2267 DPS with lightning strike-weapon elemental damage-added fire damage-melee physical damage
    -1800-2700 damage with molten shell-iron will-increase quantity
    -allways 6 active auras, thanks to my massive mana pool and 2 reduce mana support gems.
    -shield charge-faster attacks as utility skill.

Now it i time to start my caster tank, she will start of as a nuker and later will slowly tranform in an immortal tank. endgame she will have 74% chance to block attacks and 47% chance to block spells and heal 400 energy shield on each succesfull block. If needed I will give molten shell a lifeleech support gem to heal even more when taking damage to become truly immortal. Besides of that she will also have a lot of damage, I think molten shell will do about 4k damage and my secondary skill will likely be firestorm, maybe cold nova with cold to fire gem. She will use 2 uniques: aegis aurora and stone of lazhwar, which I will both ahve to trade for. The shield is worth way more as I have with all my items together so dont know yet how to get it.

If anyone wants to chat, trade or quest together with me then add me ingame as friend, my charname is: copia, I would rly like to quest together.

I still have a 6 socketed bow and evasion armor for anyone who wants to have either.

BattleTag nswhorse-1450

Quote Originally Posted by Moar View Post
    Yes, you can disable it under UI options.
    *facepalm*

@EasyG: That is a decent level there. Although I know how the system works, I've never actually done a map, back when I played they weren't in the game yet - instead they had kind of an endless random dungeon thing as engame (Torchlight style).
    Well, since youre making an immortal character migh as well play HC? I'm up for starting new characters anytime since I roll them often enough anyway, and I'm saving all the skill gems so have plenty to give away, except some rare ones. The worse that can happen is that you get transferred to default (= Edit: I added you to friends ingame, but if HC just isn't your thing that is completely fine - chat still works across leagues as I found out recently.

Talking of new characters, I've not rolled one for a while, instead I kept playing the shadow. Up to lvl 56 in Cruel act3 now, with only the last boss left to be done. I've been trying to play it as safe as I can and despite a couple near-deaths its been going good enough for a not-so-tanky chracter. I partied up for one of the bandits but seeing how it didn't do nearly as much damage as I expected, I soloed the other one and helped the third one (for 4% cast speed bonus since I'm getting the cast speed passives anyway). I also teamed up for Vaal and the first Piety ecounter in act3 but everything else has been solo play - full party usually lags me too much :(

Unlike the trade chat, I found trade forums to be pretty useful - people post good items more often than not and bump their posts when theyre online - often you can get a deal instantly. Thanks to that and a bit of luck with crafting I actually have a few items that are not bad

Here is the build so far. Right now I'm getting the mana passives at the top of the skill tree, going for freeze duration increase nearby after that. Mana is the biggest issue of the build, cant seem to get enough mana regen and quantity (running Clarity aura for mana regen, but would like to run at least Grace -for extra evasion - too), while keeping resistances/life where they need to be. Otherwise I'm concetrating on life, cast speed and crit chance/multiplier, got some evasion/energy shield passives too since they looked like a good deal. Mostly looking for life, mana and resistances on gear.
    The main killer : [Freezing Pulse - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Projectile Speed - Added Cold Damage] does ~2.1k aoe dps - while the skill popup says 700 dps, there are actually 3 wide "projectiles" and damage of all them stacks up. I use Frostbite to lower resistances often, sometimes a spell totem with Ice Spear-Lesser Multiple Projectiles for extra freezing and damage.

Might give the shadow a little rest now and roll something new for a change.

IncGamers Member

Hey nermind, allthough starting in hardcwould be fun , I did start n default yesterday allready. Also my playstyle is rather uncarefull trying to get molten shell to explode without having the patience for energyshield to be back up before:P

I find it very awesome that you allmost finished cruel on hardcore. thumbs up.

One thing that I wodner is why you dont just get eldritch battery. you have lots of int and nullification to boost your ES, with discipline aura you will get a massive mana pool. That is what I did with my templar, You only need to invest 1 passive point for it, while you invested like 10 points at mana right now. As you see in my build, except for eldritch battery I didnt take any mana at all, and still had enough mana for 6 auras and 46 mana regen. I kept clarity at lvl 3 since it takes much more mana for each lvl up. Oops I just realize i also had inner force, which makes clarity/discipline and all other buffs way more stronger, so i actually invested quit a lot at them. Inner force is kinda far away for you.
    If you dont go eldritch battery you might consider going towards the witch for your mana instead of that circle in the southmiddle. you will get for 8 points:
    -28% increased mana 60% mana reg, 8% es and 20% es cooldown + 3 lifenodes for grabs
    in the middle you get for 6 points
    -24% increased mana 40% mana reg and 10 int.

ah now i look at it, it is not significant better. I just like exploiting the strong starter area passives.

edit: kripparian is a the moment also planning a freezing pulse char, currently discussing it at his stream. I believe he goes with added lightning damage isntead of cold damage and picking up the static blows. Also you forgot doomcast, for 2 points you get 10 int and 60% crit, while just below that you took 60% crit without 10 int for 2 points.
    His build looked like this
    Last edited by EasyG; 07-02-2013 at 11:46.

Were getting into some serious theorycrafting here

As I told you ingame those are good tips. I've still got a lot to learn about building passive skills effectively, and eldrich battery is something I'm planning to try out on my summoner witch when I get her levelling again (lvl 31 now). When I feel more comfortable with giving up my energy shield I might try it on a character that has no minions to hide behind (=

I do like the idea of going halfway around the passive tree to pick up skills in several different starting areas, even if that is only achievable at a high level (that I'm not likely to reach on HC but hey - hope is not a bad thing right? ). Something to think about! (=