Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: Ron Paul and Jessie Ventura?

Quote Originally Posted by Turnip View Post
    Hmm, I guess I get the same feeling listening to the other candidates. The ones who say they were attacked because of "american exceptionalism", as if every muslim has a television and a cable connection. Or that america needs to have the patriot act otherwise the muslims will take over; as if thousands will come over on their wooden aircraft carriers and drop bombs.
    I get that same feeling when I hear other politicians spewing that kind of crap too. They're called Republicans. Me no likey.

But what part of what rp says is crazy? I'd like to hear how it could be any worse than these other clowns. I see ron paul pretty comparable to a president like andrew jackson, ending the feds private supply of currency. Stopping nation building and wasteful agencies in order to lower taxes and drop income tax. Giving more control of government to the states so the people have more control. All pretty comparable qualities I would think. Andrew jackson is the mans on your 20$ bill and is seen as a hero, I'd hope you didnt think he was crazy as well. :P
    Andrew Jackson also essentially ended State's Rights, or at least the most significantly so before the Civil War. Even Glenn Beck hates Andrew Jackson. I personally despise him for the Trail of Tears. I think everyone could find at least one major reason to hate him.

Ron Paul is an idealogical purist. At first glance, he has some awesome sounding ideas. Legalize pot? Great! Then you find out he wants to legalize EVERYTHING else too. Not so great. Quit screwing around in the rest of the world? Awesome! Never ever under any circumstances spend another dime abroad. Really? Cut government waste? Sign me up! Completely eliminate a 1/3rd of the federal government with NO PLAN WHATSOEVER on how to transition or what to do in their place. O_o?! You're in Canada, do you like your healthcare system? At all? It would disappear over night if left up to Ronny. I'm also no fan of the Fed, but I'd like to hear a better plan than:

Step 1: Destroy the Federal Reserve.
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit!!

Also, let's not forget that if you don't have insurance or $100k in the bank, you should die on the operating table, and businesses should have the right to not serve "coloreds" if they don't want to.

Like I said, fruit loops.

Quote Originally Posted by SaroDarksbane View Post
    The people who predicted exactly the mess that we're in now are using "antiquated" theories that we are far beyond, but the "top men" we have in charge today using "modern" theories are doing a bang up job.

It takes a a special sort of person to post that and not have their head explode.
    If you always predict doom, eventually you'll be right. It's comical to think no one else thought deregulating the entire financial system would lead to collapse. Just like it did 80 years ago. Wait, aren't the Libertarians the ones always screaming for deregulation?

The depression happened under the rule of "antiquated" theories. Roaring '20s, BAM!, depression. We had to put banking regulations in place, put there by people using "modern theories", and we had a fairly stable economy for the better part of a century. In the late 90's, they were obliterated (the culmination of a 20 year effort by the same old Victorian-style economists), and 10 years later, BAM!, near-depression. I know you guys have been trying to re-write history absolving free market theologians of responsibility for the depression, but the rest of us know better.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

You free all the market or none.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    Ron Paul is an idealogical purist.
    This is code for "holds non-contradictory opinions".
    It's comical to think no one else thought deregulating the entire financial system would lead to collapse.
    Clearly, the current crisis was caused by "deregulation" and not by a system of money based entirely on debt that accumulates at an exponential rate and can never be repaid.

Maybe you and that other miracle of "modern" economic thought Paul Krugman can go burn down some houses to make us all richer, or something.

------------------------------------------
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

IncGamers Member

Andrew Jackson also essentially ended State's Rights, or at least the most significantly so before the Civil War. Even Glenn Beck hates Andrew Jackson. I personally despise him for the Trail of Tears. I think everyone could find at least one major reason to hate him.

Ron Paul is an idealogical purist. At first glance, he has some awesome sounding ideas. Legalize pot? Great! Then you find out he wants to legalize EVERYTHING else too. Not so great. Quit screwing around in the rest of the world? Awesome! Never ever under any circumstances spend another dime abroad. Really? Cut government waste? Sign me up! Completely eliminate a 1/3rd of the federal government with NO PLAN WHATSOEVER on how to transition or what to do in their place. O_o?! You're in Canada, do you like your healthcare system? At all? It would disappear over night if left up to Ronny. I'm also no fan of the Fed, but I'd like to hear a better plan than:

Step 1: Destroy the Federal Reserve.
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit!!

I'm not too familiar with Andrew jackson, but its interesting to see where I was wrong about him. Pretty much see your point.

-I think Ron paul does want pot to be illegal, or legal, depending on what the people in the individual states decide. He says he likes this because people have more direct control, and the failed war on drugs is becoming expensive and ineffective just as prohibition.
    -Spending money overseas, I believe he is for going to war if it is diplomatic, for trading with overseas people, but not overthrowing governments. Cant really blame him again as you arent exactly prospering right now, especially if you have to effectively borrow the money to do all this. I feel you'd be a bit more effective waiting a bit before fixing the world. Especially with the lack of green renewable energy, you are kind of cutting your prosperity a bit too soon I think to fully help people; technology would need another few decades. When solar power and battery's are a lot more effective and you are able to give people useful farming equipment.
    -His plan after cutting the departments is to have them handled at the state level, where they were originally before the departments were introduced. Cant really blame him after how bad the education has gotten.

My healthcare I currently pay around 5% of my wages towards. About 3000$ a year I think. This doesnt really cover various medicines though, I dont currently take anything so not too informed about those. I find people go to the doctor a lotttt though, a lot of waste is taking place. Whether privatizing it would work out better in the end I have no idea, would definitely be a lot less going to the doctor solely for a doctors note though I would hope.
    I believe our wealth to cost ratio is comparable to a lot of other countries, and not all of them have public healthcare.

edit) found a delicious graph:

Anyways its kind of sad. Hes been trying to change the system for a long time, and its worse than ever as age is catching up with him. Look at this video, all the way from the 80's hes been pretty consistent. Being a veteran, as well as being so for the constitution you would think more people would have respect for him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qWxaGRZ7Nrs

Last edited by Turnip; 09-12-2011 at 10:10.

Hey, Turnip, it would help if you clarify who you're responding to.
    I mean the first one you posted says this:
    "His espousal of limited government and attacks on certain government agencies, including the Federal Reserve".
    Does the federal reserve seem like a government agency to you?
    Very much so. So do FNMA and FMAC, as well as a host of other institutions, none of which are nominally Gov't agencies. I would venture to say that we'd be better off without <MANY> of these pseudo-Governmental agencies.
    I can see why bush was elected for so long now, I suppose America deserves what it gets in the end, just wish we all didn't suffer alongside you.
    I had to re-read just to recognize you were writing from your viewpoint in America's Hat.
    He should give the money back? I'm sure hate crime victims around the US would sleep better knowing that Stormfront has more money in its pocket . . .
    I would, since he's granting them legitimacy by doing so. More legitimacy means more money.
    He said Israel is evil?
    More than once, if what I've read from various locations is accurate.
    Receiving campaign contributions is un-libertarian? ****, I wouldn't have donated if I'd known that.
    You take money from someone in politics, it's not just a gift.
    Come on, surely you have something I can really sink my teeth into?
    jmervyn: DON'T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!

SaroDarksbane: What?

jmervyn: SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE! YOU VACUOUS TOFFEE-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!!!

SaroDarksbane: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!

jmervyn: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!

SaroDarksbane: Oh! Oh I see!

jmervyn: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.

SaroDarksbane:: Oh...Sorry...

jmervyn: Not at all!

In other words, you're just going to nit-pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    and it's JMerv he watches a source guarantied to make anyone not a "Member" into a villain or idiot in <20 minutes.
    Which source would that be, pray tell?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    sigh why Americans Can't have nice things.
    You claim they don't?
    We rented an apartment in a worker’s district. That apartment, at $18 a month, is equipped with all sorts of conveniences that we Europeans were quite un-used to: Electric lights, gas cooking-range, bath, telephone, automatic service-elevator, and even a chute for the garbage.” - Leon Trotsky

IncGamers Member

Sorry I was responding to technomancer.

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    I would, since he's granting them legitimacy by doing so. More legitimacy means more money.

I think him accepting money from racists or bad people is sort of a ridiculous reason to vote against someone, what if I pronounce myself a racist and donate to a candidate you believe in. Are you going to stop voting for them as well?

Its not like he went to a conference to accept a giant check from a group of klu klux klan.

I would, since he's granting them legitimacy by doing so.
    How so? Do you suddenly feel compelled to give money to Stormfront or think better of their beliefs because Ron Paul doesn't want to give back their money? I'm not seeing the connection, here.
    You take money from someone in politics, it's not just a gift.
    His criticism against Gingrich was Gingrich saying one thing and then doing another when the money rolled in. Now that you've proved that Ron Paul gets campaign contributions (not a shocking revelation, really), can you show that he acted against his prior professed beliefs in favor of those industries?

That would something noteworthy I would like to know about.

------------------------------------------
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Its not like he went to a conference to accept a giant check from a group of klu klux klan.
    Well, Stormfront is essentially the American NSDAP, as much as any group is. So what you're saying more or less what happened, though it's not making Paul out to be David Duke (just that they're pals).
    How so? Do you suddenly feel compelled to give money to Stormfront or think better of their beliefs because Ron Paul doesn't want to give back their money?
    No, but it infers that Paul shares their beliefs & cause. Since I'm substantially more pro-Israel than many, it definitely means something to me. Furthermore, I disagree strongly not only with his apparent stance that of all our allies, we ought to shaft Israel first & foremost, and also disagree that we ought to be a full neutral, completely uncommitted State. Ought we to hold Canada and Mexico at arms' distance? Should we treat Britain as Obama does, or France under Bush? We ought not be showering gifts on Pakistan, tolerance on Egypt, and happy thoughts on Iran, but neither can we just pull the covers of the bed over our heads and go back to sleep. Paul seems to promote the silly level of isolationism that was pretty much debunked by WW1. I suspect that he's more from the Anarchist side of the Libertarian Party than the Minarchists, which I would align with.
    Now that you've proved that Ron Paul gets campaign contributions (not a shocking revelation, really), can you show that he acted against his prior professed beliefs in favor of those industries?
    In honesty, the fact that he was hypocritical <while> accepting those donations is sufficient. I recall reading that he had done exactly what you say. However, I've never really been 'pro-Paul' or 'anti-Paul' enough to care. I like his presence on the scene, just as to some extent I appreciate Dennis Kuchinch (sp, probably). When it comes to politicians I'd actually see in positions of leadership, my short list would be more like Rubio, DeMint, and Ryan (and of course Barr, and perhaps Johnson). I like Root well enough, but he's a bit of a goof.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Well, Stormfront is essentially the American NSDAP, as much as any group is. So what you're saying more or less what happened, though it's not making Paul out to be David Duke (just that they're pals).
    No, but it infers that Paul shares their beliefs & cause. Since I'm substantially more pro-Israel than many, it definitely means something to me. Furthermore, I disagree strongly not only with his apparent stance that of all our allies, we ought to shaft Israel first & foremost, and also disagree that we ought to be a full neutral, completely uncommitted State. Ought we to hold Canada and Mexico at arms' distance? Should we treat Britain as Obama does, or France under Bush? We ought not be showering gifts on Pakistan, tolerance on Egypt, and happy thoughts on Iran, but neither can we just pull the covers of the bed over our heads and go back to sleep. Paul seems to promote the silly level of isolationism that was pretty much debunked by WW1. I suspect that he's more from the Anarchist side of the Libertarian Party than the Minarchists, which I would align with.
    In honesty, the fact that he was hypocritical <while> accepting those donations is sufficient. I recall reading that he had done exactly what you say. However, I've never really been 'pro-Paul' or 'anti-Paul' enough to care. I like his presence on the scene, just as to some extent I appreciate Dennis Kuchinch (sp, probably). When it comes to politicians I'd actually see in positions of leadership, my short list would be more like Rubio, DeMint, and Ryan (and of course Barr, and perhaps Johnson). I like Root well enough, but he's a bit of a goof.
    So speaking of Israel and Hypocritical.
    Helen Thomas Was Crucified for Saying of Israelis What Newt Says About the Palestinians

Now Back on Topic for this game of calvinball
    Forbes again:
    Why Ron Paul Will Win Iowa

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzinga...will-win-iowa/

Last edited by BobCox2; 11-12-2011 at 00:42.

I don't see why people are SO FOOLISH to believe that because Ron Paul says "End the Fed" "End the IRS" "No foreign spending. None. Nil." etc. etc. that you ACTUALLY BELIEVE if he was elected that ANY OF THOSE THINGS would take effects. Thats just nonsense.

It takes radical views to instigate some sort of change. Without those extreme views, we get ridiculous things like 1000+ page healthcare laws that get half-assed passed. What good is that? Or we get senseless bills to pass like the GLB (allowed looser banking through legal separation of investment banking and deposits i.e. your deposits in checking account is loaned to folks with 'creative mortgages' as they're called in the industry -- anyway, led to the entire debt crisis), and the Patriot Act (senseless paperwork and regulations that actually accomplish nothing except padding pockets of folks in power).

Without a hardcore view on delicate matters, all the other guys are just that... the other guys. No other candidates have any real beliefs except for what will get them elected. Ron Paul continues to stand for what he believes in, whether or not other people like it. Thats why I like him. He's crazy about the economy. Is that really that bad? Better than being crazy TO the economy and pass trillions in more debt.

He just doesn't come off as another fool from Harvard trying to get "in" to the system for more wealth and power and a place in history. And thats another reason I like him.

Regardless of who is in office, I feel like all these silly social issues like abortion, religion in schools, or gays will only change with the people and not some puppet we see on the propaganda box.