Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BattleTag Brokenstorm-1880

Re: Lore Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Mage Slayer View Post
    I'd put forward that Baal was actually trapped inside Tal Rasha, not the soulstone shard, and that the shard acted to prevent Baal from asserting full control of Tal Rasha's body. Tal Rasha was the prison, the soulstone was the lock.

It follows that the soulstone shard could imprison Baal again. Baal wanted it back to ensure it could not be used against him. And when you're as powerful as a Prime Evil the safest place to keep something is probably on your person.
    I like it

On a side note, anyone noticed this typo in the 3rd chapter of Birthright.
    Uldyssian had lived here for four days now, two days in which his farm had been left all but unattended.

The Marius thing always confused me. Why did Aiden (Diablo) even let him tag along in the first place? Diablo knew he was there, he could have killed him at any time, just like anyone else. That must have been some magnificent planning ahead!

I like Mage Slayer's idea about Tal Rasha and the Soulstone too. That fits all the facts and explains why Baal begged him to pull it out. I also like the idea of Baal not being able to directly take it back from Marius, and follows what I've seen in popular culture. It seem like a common idea that Demons/Evil can't just TAKE items of power from mortals, but they must be given freely (see Hellraiser 3). It's also similar to the theme of vampires having to be invited into a home before they can enter.

There could be more as well, in that only a mortal could have REMOVED Baal's Soulstone from Tal Rasha, and that's the real reason Diablo strung him along in the first place. Diablo couldn't have even done it.

Scorch, you bring up an interesting point, but if the Soulstones have some limitations on how they can be manipulated by Demons, perhaps there are limits on Angels too. Since Sanctuary is not a place of power for Angels or Demons, maybe neither kind is able to do a great deal with them? Does anyone have any records of Tyrael having actually USED any of the soulstones on the Primes Evils? Perhaps only mortals have the ability to directly use them against demons?

I have some more questions.
    I am unable to find anything about the origin of Leoric. I know that the fact that he was a northern lord has been retconned, but I can't find any info other than he was a eastern lord.

Does anyone has a good idea for a name for the time period between The Binding of the Three and Events leading up to Diablo I?

Last edited by Brokenstorm; 30-11-2011 at 13:00.

BattleTag Tanith-1143

I think you mean Leoric, yes? Lazarus was just his Archbishop. I wasn't aware that "northern lord" had been retconned to "eastern lord" but that makes sense since Zakarum has its origins in the east.

As for a name for that time period...well, the Horadrim would have been dwindling during this time, and the people slowly forgetting the past...

Hmm. I'll have to think about that one.

IncGamers Member

From Librarius Ex Horadrim:
    The Lands of Khanduras
    Years after the last of the Horadrim had died, a great and prosperous society grew in the lands of the West. As time wore on, many Eastern pilgrims settled in the lands surrounding Khanduras and soon established small, self contained kingdoms. A few of these kingdoms bickered with Khanduras over holdings of property or routes of trade. These quabbles did little to upset the lasting peace of the West, and the great Northern kingdom of Westmarch proved to be a strong ally of Khanduras as the two lands steadily engaged in ventures of barter and commerce.

It was then that the great northern lord Leoric came unto the lands of Khanduras and, in the name of Zakarum, declared himself King. Leoric was a deeply religious man and had brought many Knights and Priests with him that comprised his Order of the Light. Leoric and his trusted advisor, the Arch Bishop Lazarus, made their way to the city of Tristram. Leoric appropriated the ancient, decrepit Monastery on the outskirts of the town for his seat of power and renovated it to match its time-lost glory. Although the free people of Khanduras were not pleased with being placed under the sudden rule of a foreign King, Leoric served them with justice and might. Eventually, the people of Khanduras grew to respect the kind Leoric, sensing that he sought only to guide and protect them against the oppression of Darkness.
    So he could be both northern and eastern. Even if he wasn't born in the east, his family would likely have been eastern and he was acting in the name of an eastern religion.

As for a name for the inbetween period, how about The Horadrim's Fall & Zakarum's Rise? We could also steal from Librarius and change Events Leading Up To Diablo 1 to The Return Of Terror?

You have to remember that Westmarch was refered as the northern kingdom in the D1 manual which it's clearly not.

I'm a little confused as to how Diablo was released from imprisonment.

In the timeline it says: "Archbishop Lazarus, secretly releases Diablo from imprisonment."
    In the D1 manual it says:
    Sensing that freedom was within his grasp, Diablo entered the nightmares of the Arch Bishop and lured him into the dark, subterranean labyrinth. In his terror, Lazarus raced throughout the abandoned hallways until he at last came to the chamber of the burning Soulstone. No longer in command of his body or spirit, he raised the stone above his head and uttered words long forgotten in the realm of mortals. His will destroyed, Lazarus shattered the Soulstone upon the ground. Diablo once again came into the world of Man. Although he was released from his imprisonment within the Soulstone, the Lord of Terror was still greatly weakened from his long sleep and required an anchor to the world. Once he had found a mortal form to wear, he could begin to reclaim his vastly depleted power.
    which seems to make little sense, if Lazarus was able to destroy the soulstone how were we able to take it out when we killed diablo. Now the D1 manual does have many lore mistake in it (even has some contradiction with the D1 game) so that may be one of them.

and finally from the game
    When I awoke my Master from his sleep, he attempted to possess a mortal's form. Diablo attempted to claim the body of King Leoric, but my Master was too weak from his imprisonment.
    I guess the question is, why did Diablo need Lazarus's help to awaken and what exactly did Lazarus do to awake him. (I'm guessing releasing from imprisonment and awakening mean the same thing)

Last edited by Brokenstorm; 30-11-2011 at 17:10.

IncGamers Member

Leoric probably wasn't from Westmarch though (he can't have been ruler of Westmarch and I doubt Westmarch's king would have taken kindly to one of his nobles creating his own kingdom next door yet everything points to good relations with Westmarch up until Leoric goes mad), so it's relocation doesn't necessarily affect Leoric's backstory. In any case, the geography of all of the western continent has been so thoroughly screwed around, both going from Diablo 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, that it's all moot. It'll be interesting to see what the map in the Book Of Cain will be like - the devs mentioned a while ago (Blizzcon '09 or '10 I think) that the D3 map we've seen has since been revised and corrected.

I had assumed Diablo/his soulstone would have been bound/sealed by magic (much like Mephisto's soulstone was, at least in theory) making it more difficult (but perhaps not impossible) for Diablo to reach out into the world, and that Lazarus was more moved to free him by Mephisto's corruption than Diablo's up to that point. It's possible Diablo was still able to corrupt those around him as Mephy did - but since the monastery was abandoned until Leoric and Lazarus' arrival, while Mephisto had Travincal above him, Diablo wasn't able to do anything until Lazarus came and undid the magic. Since Lazarus was responsible for the warding of Mephisto's soulstone he would be an expert in such magic.

Smashing the soulstone is total nonsense though. I suppose we could invent some gibberish about it being part of some ritual to release Diablo without a human body to act as host, and that the soulstone was then reconstituted as it was need for Diablo to fully corrupt a human body, which he needed to do in order to fully manifest his power on Sanctuary... but I think it makes more sense to simply disregard the passage as wrong.

The second book of Librarius Ex Horadrim is a bit suspect anyway since a Horadrim couldn't possibly write a book with such recent information, as noted on the wiki. Although, Librarius Ex Horadrim could be translated (according to google) as 'Publisher/Copier of the Horadrim', which could mean they were written based on Horadric writing, rather than actually being Horadric writing, and the writer filled in more recent events as best he could - and likely didn't survive to make corrections.

Last edited by Mage Slayer; 30-11-2011 at 18:47.

Leoric probably wasn't from Westmarch though (he can't have been ruler of Westmarch and I doubt Westmarch's king would have taken kindly to one of his nobles creating his own kingdom next door yet everything points to good relations with Westmarch up until Leoric goes mad)
    Well if it was to spread "the light" to Khanduras, Westmarch might have been fine with it. In any even it seems clear the Leoric was from Kehjistan.

I agree with you that Lazarus might only have to dispel the warding that was on the Soulstone to awaken Diablo. It makes even more sense it you consider Sankekur's letter.

The second book of Librarius Ex Horadrim is a bit suspect anyway since a Horadrim couldn't possibly write a book with such recent information, as noted on the wiki. Although, Librarius Ex Horadrim could be translated (according to google) as 'Publisher/Copier of the Horadrim', which could mean they were written based on Horadric writing, rather than actually being Horadric writing, and the writer filled in more recent events as best he could - and likely didn't survive to make corrections.
    Even the first book has some pretty big errors in it leading me to question if the Horadrim really wrote it

Their Exile from Hell left them with an insatiable hunger to bring suffering and pain to all who would not kneel before them, and so the Three Brothers ravaged the lands of the Far East for countless centuries.
    Mephisto and Baal, trapped within the swirling, spiritual constraints of the
    Soulstones, were then buried beneath the dunes of the desolate Eastern Sands.
    Yet, for many decades the Horadrim continued their grim search for the third Brother, Diablo.

IncGamers Member

To be fair those errors in the first book are really retcons - I don't think they were inconsistent with the lore/events of the time, unlike the soulstone shatteri- oh, what's that on Diablo's head?

Maybe they were written by Zhar the Mad.

no those errors are not even consistent with the lore book in the D1 game

Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein, for they are the last legacy of the Horadrim. Nearly three hundred years ago, it came to be known that the Three Prime Evils of the Burning Hells had mysteriously come to our world. The Three Brothers ravaged the lands of the east for decades, while humanity was left trembling in their wake. Our Order - the Horadrim - was founded by a group of secretive magi to hunt down and capture the Three Evils once and for all.
    The Third Evil escaped capture and fled to the west with many of the Horadrim in pursuit. The Third Evil - known as Diablo, the Lord of Terror - was eventually captured, his essence set in a Soulstone and buried within this Labyrinth.