Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Lore Compendium

I suggest adding Astrogha to the "Others" section of the Burning Hells.

BattleTag Brokenstorm-1880

Due to the lack of information I had to surmise the chronology of some events, hopefully the Book of Cain will add more information.
    Let me know if you think that makes sense.

Inarius is turned over to Mephisto in return for Mephisto casting his mark on the point of flux inside the cathedral of light.
    Izual attacks the Hellforge.
    Izual is defeated, he turns over the secrets of the soulstones to the Prime Evils and help them plan their exile to Sanctuary.
    Izual spirit is bound within a terrible creature summoned from the Black Abyss, left to wander the Burnings Hells for eternity.
    First civil war in the Burnings Hells
    Dark Exile
    Second civil was in the Burnings Hells

Now for the speculation. Mephisto had a reason for wanting Inarius in his keep otherwise he would not have "casted his mark" (whatever that means). Perhaps from him he got the knowledge he needed to begin to corrupt an angel (Izual) who had the knowledge he desired (bypass whatever casting his mark did).

Izual, now partially corrupted goes against the wishes of Tyrael and attacks the Hellforge as a ploy so he can be captured by the Prime Evils without raising suspicions. The Prime Evils learn of the soulstones and how to corrupt them from Izual and begin to plan how to trick the Angels in using the soulstones against them.

So they stage their exile by perhaps even secretly instigating the civil war by letting the lesser evils think that they were afraid to continue the war with the High Heaven, instead focusing on Sanctuary. They are then exiled and roam Sanctuary leaving chaos and attrition in their wake, this to trick the angels into using the soulstones against them. They may even had a hand in the shattering and fragmenting of Baal's soulstone to force Tal Rasha to sacrifice himself in an attempt to contain Baal in a partial soulstone (This was a trick so that Baal could then take over Tal Rasha, in the same way that Diablo took over Aiden, and gain his knowledge and abilities).

The events of DI to DIIX occur and the rest is still unexplained.

Last edited by Brokenstorm; 24-11-2011 at 08:48.

BattleTag Tanith-1143

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenstorm View Post
    Does anyone know where the idea that Andariel is the daughter of Lilith comes from?

In the Book of Cain it says:
    Andariel is the twin sister of Duriel

and Lilith is not the mother of Duriel nor could she be, in fact the only descendant of her that I know of is Linarian aka Rathma.

EDIT: oh it's from The Arreat Summit. But since the pandemonium event isn't even cannon I guess we can ignore that.
    Yeah. I'm actually surprised that the Arreat Summit hasn't been updated with the new information we've got...but I guess they've got to leave it up in some form to account for the appearance of Lilith and the other bosses in the game.

There are other contradictions, too...for example, yesterday morning I realized that if the Pandemonium Fortress houses the Worldstone...what purpose had the Worldstone Keep served? I know it's gone now, but should we consider it to have been an extension of the Pandemonium Fortress on the mortal plane? Kind of like a mystical version of Doctor Who's TARDIS, with more blood and body parts.

And props to Neinball for that Star Wars link, that's a very cool idea. Though we'd probably have to corner Chris Metzen and get him to clarify what's canon and what isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanith View Post
    There are other contradictions, too...for example, yesterday morning I realized that if the Pandemonium Fortress houses the Worldstone...what purpose had the Worldstone Keep served? I know it's gone now, but should we consider it to have been an extension of the Pandemonium Fortress on the mortal plane? Kind of like a mystical version of Doctor Who's TARDIS, with more blood and body parts.
    I think the Worldstone Keep was formed after the Sin War Trilogy as a result a the pact made between the High Heavens and the Burning Hells concerning the Worldstone. Probably to keep anyone else from altering it. (they probably couldn't move is back to the Pandemonium Fortress since that would have required the Angiris Council and the Prime Evils working together)

As a side-note, it seems Horazon lived for quite a while. in d2 Drognan says that nearly a thousand years ago he created for himself an Arcane Sanctuary.

An since he noted to tomb of Tal Rasha in his journal that mean he lived for at least 710 years!!!!

IncGamers Member

The lore panel at Blizzcon seemed to emphasise that the Worldstone was still in Pandemonium, it seems to exist in all worlds. By 'stealing' it Inarius et al really just hid it from everyone outside Sanctuary.

Spoiler

As for the Worldstone Keep, wasn't it there in The Sin War Trilogy? Didn't Uldyssian have to battle Bul'Kathos to gain entry? Or was it somewhere else?

And yes, I seem to remember somewhere (probably an NPC gossip) it saying (or at least suggesting) that the Arcane Sanctuary itself extended Hoarzon's life. Possibly time moves slower there - but I can't remember if it actually said that or if that's me filling in the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mage Slayer View Post
    The lore panel at Blizzcon seemed to emphasise that the Worldstone was still in Pandemonium, it seems to exist in all worlds. By 'stealing' it Inarius et al really just hid it from everyone outside Sanctuary.

Spoiler
    There is a lot of misinformation and contradictions concerning the worldstone which makes it difficult to discern the truth.

For example at the end of the Sin War Trilogy it is hinted at that the Worldstone would be attuned to let the power of humans grow (or at least not suppress their power), but then again in the lore panel they said that the Worldstone did suppress their powers (among other things).

But yes they said that technically the Worldstone was still in Pandemonium, but somehow "dimensionally veiled it" and blinked it out in the realm of Sanctuary.

As for the Worldstone Keep, wasn't it there in The Sin War Trilogy? Didn't Uldyssian have to battle Bul'Kathos to gain entry? Or was it somewhere else?
    In the Sin War Trilogy it only referred as Mount Arreat, a place of Inarius's making. Although Bul-Kathos infers that there might be other guardians, there is not evidence of it in any of the books. Even then Bul-Kathos only seems to protect Mount Arreat from humans, as both Inarius and Lilith were able to access the worldstone without his knowledge. Unlike the Ancients who guard Mount Arreat from everyone (expect those possessing the relic of the ancients)

And yes, I seem to remember somewhere (probably an NPC gossip) it saying (or at least suggesting) that the Arcane Sanctuary itself extended Hoarzon's life. Possibly time moves slower there - but I can't remember if it actually said that or if that's me filling in the blanks.
    You are correct Drognan says:
    "He believed that his Sanctuary would not only protect him from Hell's vengeance, but also allow him to continue his studies free from the ravages of time and disease."

Wow, there are so much contradictions in the Beta, I hope those thing are fixed before release.

• It is hinted at that Lazarus was already possessed by Diablo before Leoric moved to Tristram, and that it is Lazarus who chose Tristram as Leoric new seat of power. Whereas Diablo awakened after Leoric moved to Tristram.

Spoiler

• Aiden was off to become a warrior before Leoric sent his armies against Westmarch, so he couldn't have been part of the war as was said in the lore panel.

Spoiler

IncGamers Member

^ I'm not sure either of those are contradictions. The first doesn't seem to imply he's possessed to me; Lazarus was Leoric's top advisor, why shouldn't he exert some influence over such an important decision?

And "off to become a warrior" could simply mean he'd gone off to train, which presumably he'd finish in time to join the army of Khanduras for the war. The question of what took him so long to get back to Tristram remains, however. I'd be much happier if Aiden wasn't in the war, then we could assume he went off on his own path (as could also be interpeted from that lore entry) and didn't decide to return home for several years. It seems hard to believe that he'd not do anything about his father's madness or death unless he was well and truly out of contact. Maybe he went swanning off right after the war, without going home, but that feels very off to me. Is there anything besides the lore panel to say he did go to Westmarch?

In the Sin War Trilogy it only referred as Mount Arreat, a place of Inarius's making. Although Bul-Kathos infers that there might be other guardians, there is not evidence of it in any of the books. Even then Bul-Kathos only seems to protect Mount Arreat from humans, as both Inarius and Lilith were able to access the worldstone without his knowledge. Unlike the Ancients who guard Mount Arreat from everyone (expect those possessing the relic of the ancients)
    I always assumed, structurally, it was always as we see it in D2 and that the Ancients were recruited as B-K's replacements at some point. In any case, it's hardly surprising Inarius and Lilith would be able to gain access to the chamber, regardless of who was guarding it or how the defenses were structured - they created it after all. (Or at least Inarius did and Lilith was privy to all the details.)

I just re-read the Arreat Summit entries on the Ancients, and unfortunately there isn't anything that could help date their recruitment.

You are correct Drognan says:
    "He believed that his Sanctuary would not only protect him from Hell's vengeance, but also allow him to continue his studies free from the ravages of time and disease."
    Yes, thank you. It was late here when I posted and I couldn't be bothered to look it up then. I guess my time moves slower idea was blank filling.

IncGamers Member

What happen to Inarius after Mephisto takes him to his realm?

Well, we can perhaps infer an answer from the Overlords entry of the D1 manual beastiary:

Overlords (Tyrannus Pinguis)
    Even the Seraphim are not immune to the corruption of the Dark Lords. One such angel, Inarius, was proud of his beauty and boasted loudly of his purity and worth. His thoughts became so clouded that he believed himself to be above both Angel and Demon, and he left the High Heavens to form his own dominion. He constructed a great cathedral of mirrored glass and crystal, and followers flocked to him, drawn by his numinous charm and wealth. Once Inarius had gathered a sizable army, he decided to prove his power.
    Inarius first laid siege to an infernal temple devoted to the worship of Mephisto, but made the foolish mistake of overestimating his prowess. The armies of Inarius laid waste to the temple and killed the dark monks that dwelled within. The Three Evils had considered the vain warrior a mere nuisance and amusement until this time, but this was an insult that they could not bear.
    Mephisto himself is said to have appeared at the cathedral of Inarius. He laid waste to the church and the surrounding countryside. The Lord of Hatred took the proud archangel and his followers captive. He bound Inarius with tremendous chains and slowly tore the wings from the back of the angel. Great barbed hooks were then used to stretch out the once glowing skin and his features were distorted by vile powers. Many of the followers of Inarius were given as gifts to Baal and Diablo, but the rest were molded to match the bloated image of the now crippled angel. To this day, Inarius is said to be trapped in Hell within a chamber of mirrors, his eyelids torn from his face as he is forced to gaze upon his misshapen form for all eternity. His misguided followers now serve as Hell’s taskmasters, taking the anguish of their lost glory out upon the bodies of others.
    These grotesque demons have considerable brawn hidden beneath their layers of greasy flab. Do not underestimate their strength or their intelligence for crossing swords with them is ill advised. You will be far better served to combat them with ranged weapons or magic.

We know, thanks to Abd Al-Hazir, that early Vizjerei writings (specifically including this particular book) aren't especially reliable, so perhaps it's not too surprising that some important details - like that Inarius' domain was in fact Sanctuary, or exactly how Inarius fell into Mephisto's possession - might be misrepresented. The descriptions of the specific tortures also seem unlikely given what we now know of angel physiology. All that said, in the absense of any other information I think we can take from that that Inarius remains Mephisto's prisoner, undergoing eternal torture based upon his own vanity. I tend to doubt the actual Overlord connection though (there was no suggestion of Mephisto getting his hands on any of Inarius' followers in the novels was there?).

It's unfortunate that the whole bestiary is either Vizjerei or demon propaganda, because there would be a lot of info in there.