Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: DoT and Pet Scaling

Bashiok replied to a question about this thread today:
    http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/10/...d-attack-speed

The tick rate of channeled skills is currently scaled by your weapon speed. This has the side effect of making the resource cost go up, which we’re okay with. It’s consistent with the philosophy that faster speed weapons consume more resource but may do more damage. Channeled skills might still be better with slower weapons though because on a channeled skill, you have as much mobility as you want, so the “mobility” and “overkill” advantages of faster weapons are eroded with channeled abilities, so all you’re left with is increased mana cost for increased damage.

We've been thinking of changing the tooltips and going with “ continuously does X% weapon damage”. The reservations we currently have are:

* Even though we say continuously, there’s a pulse rate under the hood, so do players want to know this pulse rate?
    * If we did show a pulse rate, we’re adding more complexity to an already complicated tooltip.

However, the benefit of being able to directly compare 135% weapon damage on Disintegrate to X% weapon damage on another skill is super high, so we love that.

Stepping back and going big picture, we’re currently working on greatly simplifying tooltips. It’s too early to give details at this point, but our general feeling is that we provide way too much information in the skill tooltips in general.

--Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

BattleTag Kingu-2601

Damn them, I cant stand hearing that something needs to be simplified and will be awesome...

IncGamers Member

Why dont they just add an option like: "Activate complicated tooltips" and all are happy?
    I really wanna have my complicated tooltips XP

Quote Originally Posted by Vernichtung View Post
    Why dont they just add an option like: "Activate complicated tooltips" and all are happy?
    I really wanna have my complicated tooltips XP
    Nah that's too complicated a command. It would have to be "Activate" only.

IncGamers Member

Hi to everyone.

In first, i have to apologies if my english isn't good. Its not my native langage and i will do my best to avoid errors.

If i come here, its because i have some interrogation about the theorycraft.
    My real problem is how to calculate with accury DMG and DPS of channeled skills.

Can you try to explain me with real simple math ? my english is good enough to understand you, but my math are bad!
    Like with simple thing like :

I have XX intel
    i have a 6-13 sword (13.3dps) 1.4 attacks speed
    i have XX DPS global on my character screen
    i use ray of frost (200% weapon dmg)

IncGamers Member

After this was discovered for the Monks we decided to test out the only other class with a DoT within the beta, the WD and some strange things were discovered.

Here is my discovery about dependance between channelled spells and weapons speed.

• Faster Weapon makes shorter channel to make the same damage at the same cost of resources
    • Slower Weapon makes longer channel to make the same damage at the same cost of resources
    • Faster Weapon hits more often with lower damage
    • Slower Weapon hits less often with bigger damage
    • Time is different, because two equal damage weapons (with 2 different speeds) need different durations of channeling.

Links:
    to reddit
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Dia:blo/comm..._tempest_rush/

or to my blog about Monk - translation to English:

http://translate.google.pl/translate...pest-rush.html

Last edited by Valkemen; 02-04-2012 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
    If i come here, its because i have some interrogation about the theorycraft.
    My real problem is how to calculate with accury DMG and DPS of channeled skills.

Can you try to explain me with real simple math ? my english is good enough to understand you, but my math are bad!
    First, the relevant stats:

109 Intelligence
    15-16 damage crossbow with 17.1 DPS and 1.1 APS
    36.53 DPS on the character screen
    Ray of Frost deals 215% weapon damage

Now, the problem when trying to calculate the damage of channeled spells is that they have a peculiar way of displaying their damage. They do this in half a second ticks, but the damage they show you has a much larger spread than what you would expect based on your weapon. For example, with the above stats, my Ray of Frost usually displayed 38 or 46 damage, but it wasn't rare to see a large divergence from those numbers. For example, once it displayed 52 and 62 as well.

My theory is that you can calculate the damage that channeled spells will do in a second by simply taking the DPS shown on your character screen and then multiplying it by the skills damage. By doing this for RoF I came really close to what damage the game usually showed to me.

I'm not sure what causes the anomalies in the displayed damage of channeled skills, but I have a feeling that frame rate has something to do with it.

If you didn't understand some part of my post or you have more questions, feel free to ask.

IncGamers Member

Thx for you answers,

If have to resume it , with :
    109 Intelligence
    15-16 damage crossbow with 17.1 DPS and 1.1 APS
    36.53 DPS on the character screen
    Ray of Frost deals 215% weapon damage

If i use Ray of Frost, my ticks damage will be : 36.53 x 215% = 78.60 / second ?

There is no advantage to have faster weapons ?
    They dont give more DPS , they only consume more ressource?

If i use Ray of Frost, my ticks damage will be : 36.53 x 215% = 78.60 / second ?
    Yes, that's correct. Although like I said, the displayed numbers are sometimes inconsistent, but the damage itself isn't. So, according to the game I did 38 or 46 damage every 0.5 second, which means that my average damage was 42 every 0.5 second or 84 per second. According to my character sheet my DPS is 35.53 so Ray of Frost should do about 78.54 DPS, like you said, which is close enough to the displayed 84 for me, especially since the displayed numbers aren't accurate enough and the size of my sample could be larger as well.

There is no advantage to have faster weapons ?
    Yes, there is. The damage of channeled skills will always be displayed every half a second, but the displayed damage will increase with faster attack speed. More APS means more DPS even with channeled skills.

They dont give more DPS , they only consume more ressource?
    They do both. Multiply a channeled skills mana cost with your APS to get the skills real mana cost per second.

Last edited by HardRock; 02-04-2012 at 21:49.