Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Re: DoT and Pet Scaling

Quote Originally Posted by Neinball View Post
    That's one of the trickier things that is very difficult to model accurately.

It isn't that difficult really, you'll want a faster burn rate than appears to be the best solution on paper (in terms of ap efficiency relative to damage). The faster you can spend your ap, the more efficient you become in these scenarios where avoiding stuff is paramount.

As for the modeling of it, I come from a spreadsheet perspective and all you need is breaks and intervals of breaks to simulate moving, and by letting the user edit the breaks/intervals themselves a consensus can be drawn for that particular build / weapon speed etc. For the sake of completion, it could easily be macroable to determine varying degrees of % time spent running for the same build. For example, if the user currently has 50% time spent running, the macro will determine the same value for for example 10% and 90% spent running in order to determine how effective it is in very varying degrees of downtime.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superstate View Post
    It isn't that difficult really, you'll want a faster burn rate than appears to be the best solution on paper (in terms of ap efficiency relative to damage). The faster you can spend your ap, the more efficient you become in these scenarios where avoiding stuff is paramount.
    I disagree. It would hugely depend on the "profile" of the fight. Faster weapons makes resource overflowing less likely, but at the same time it makes resource starvation more likely. It would boil down to the fight when the question is which one is the more optimal choice.

If you know you have to move to avoid stuff then ideal situation is that you use that time to passively regen resources back, but this doesn't happen if your resources are capped to begin with. On the other hand when you get change to go balls deep damage out you wouldn't want to run into situation where your resource bar is depleted and you will be forced to use generators to get it back.

IncGamers Member

Ok, wasn't well write i figure (no im not a troll ><)
    If i have a weapon with 1.5 aps (with lower base dmg on than my prévious 1.1 aps weapon indeed), the same overall dps (36.53) on my character sheet and i use again ray of frost ( 215%)
    The formula is still : 36.53 x 215% = 78.53?

Or , finally , did i have to use :
    Ray of Frost
    APS DPS
    1,02 275%
    1,30 351%
    1,39 376%
    1,44 389%
    1,50 405%

and make : 36.53 x 405%: = 147.94 ? oO

Quote Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
    The formula is still : 36.53 x 215% = 78.53?
    Yes.

You would have a much easier time understanding this if you let go of the weapon speed (ie DPS), instead focusing on it from the damage range only, and after doing so introducing varying weapon speeds.

IncGamers Member

I have to kill SK :
    with 1.1 APS weapon, 36.53 dps sheet x 215% (r.o.f) = 78.53 Skill DPS
    and 1.5 APS weapon, 36.53 dps sheet x 215% (r.o.f) = 78.53 Skill DPS
    advantage of slow weapon, cause less ressource cost? I will not do more damage with fast weapon?

If i use the rune " 0 cost ressource for ray of frost" : is it better to have , for the same overall sheet dps, fast or slow weapon?

advantage of slow weapon, cause less ressource cost?
    The same amount of damage for significantly less resources, yes.

If i use the rune " 0 cost ressource for ray of frost" : is it better to have , for the same overall sheet dps, fast or slow weapon?
    A friend told me recently this is bugged and it does have a cost, it just isn't reflected in the calculator. I'm taking his word for it!

But if it was at 0 cost, it wouldn't matter which weapon speed you chose. The runestone would however be more powerful for faster weapons, since it is effectively a higher decrease of ap cost / second.

IncGamers Member

Ok, thx for you'r help superstate ! i have fully understand now i think ...
    Or not : i don't full understand the purpose of
    Ray of Frost
    APS DPS
    1,02 275%
    1,30 351%
    1,39 376%
    1,44 389%
    1,50 405%

Link before, but its ok if i know i have to use slow weapon ^^

IncGamers Member

That's just relative comparison. DPS is what matter. Those numbers represent that you can have lower damage weapon, but as long it has more dps due faster AS it deals more damage.

the % part tells what multiplier it uses for your weapon damage. The APS is the length of the cycle. System is in place so weapon damage range won't be the only thing that matters, but attack speed also get's applied as well.

275 / 1.02 = ~270 (rounded up)

405 / 1.5 = 270

That ray of frost example was used to illustrate that in this context all that matters is weapon DPS.

It get's bit more complicated when you start applying passive resource generation, flat damage affixes outside of weapons, on-hit effects and possible skill cooldowns. Most cooldowns seems to be normalized tho, but it's not certain at this stage whenever it applies to all of them.

Last edited by Karpalo; 15-04-2012 at 10:51.

Just a heads-up, Haunt doesn't scale with attack speed, unless we are talking about it's initial cast animation. Tested this with these stats and weapons:

43 Intelligence
    4.3 DPS crossbow, 5-5 damage, 0.86 APS
    4.9 DPS dagger, 2-5 damage, 1.37 APS

If Haunt scales with APS, then the dagger should have done slightly more damage. That wasn't the case however. The crossbow always ticked for 2 damage for me, while the dagger usually ticked for 1. Keep in mind, that damage numbers are rounded.

EDIT: Haunt did 41 damage to Leoric with the crossbow. With the dagger, it did 29.

Last edited by HardRock; 16-04-2012 at 15:36.

Hm... I wonder if it's supposed to work like that. I really thought that all dots/channeled spells worked off DPS.

Maybe it's just channeled spells?