Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

DoT and Pet Scaling

First off, all thanks go to Valkemen and his friend Astehnir for testing out this info.

Over on the monk boards the community was compiling info on the undocumented patch changes and we came across something weird. The DoT component of Exploding Palm was showing different figures then the talent calculator as well as different figures for different people. Upon some testing done by Valkemen and Astehnir they found that the DoT was scaling with weapon speed, the faster the weapon the more damage the DoT did.

Testing has found that the formula is relatively simple:

Weapon Dmg % x Weapon APS* = Actual Damage.

*Dual wielding gives the main hand weapon a bonus of 15% APS.

Example:

The Exploding Palm DoT does a base 65% weapon dmg per second, if a monk is using a 1.2 APS weapon the DoT will now deal 78% (65 x 1.2=78) wpn dmg per second. A dual wielding monk with a 1.2 APS main hand weapon will deal 89.7% (65 x (1.2 x 1.15)=89.7) wpn dmg per second.

After this was discovered for the Monks we decided to test out the only other class with a DoT within the beta, the WD and some strange things were discovered.

As excepted Firebats scales it's damage in the same exact way, it was 100% wpn dmg x APS = actual dmg per second. Surprisingly, the DoT component of Poison Dart did not scale at all with APS. Not being satisified with such a small sampling of abilities Valkeman and Astehnir decided to load up an emulator and check other abilities that may have scaled in a similar fashion.

They found the following abilities all scale their damage on APS in the same exact way:

Acid Cloud
    Locust Swarm
    Haunt
    Grasp of the dead
    Gargantuan
    Fetish army

With this it would seem that certain pets also scale their damage on the APS of the caster. There are many other abilities/pets/summons from other classes that need to be tested out either in an emulator or the beta (Call of the Ancients, Companion, Sentry, etc) and many, many rune effects that will need to be tested once the game goes live.

Also not being in the beta I can't test it but would like to know if anyone has any experience with DoTs critting.

Summary:

DoT and Pet Damage Formula:

Single Weapon (1h or 2h)
    Base Weapon Damage % x Weapon APS = Final Damage Total

Dual Wielding
    Base Weapon Damage % x (Main Hand Weapon APS x 1.15) = Final Damage Total

Last edited by Neinball; 14-11-2011 at 22:44.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Albert Einstein

IncGamers Member Grayson Carlyle's Avatar

Re: DoT and Pet Scaling

Might this apply to all attacks with a static attack rate? Channeled DoTs as well; Disintegrate, Ray of Frost, etc...?

I'd be willing to say yes given how it interacts with Firebats. I don't have a beta account so I can't say for certain.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Albert Einstein

IncGamers Member

Maybe I'll throw up some numbers for you to do the math. ;]

WIZARD

Disintegrate
    APS DPS
    1,02 138%
    1,30 176%
    1,39 188%
    1,44 195%
    1,50 203%

Explosive Blast
    APS Damage
    1,02 168%
    1,30 214%
    1,39 230%
    1,44 238%
    1,50 247%

Ray of Frost
    APS DPS
    1,02 275%
    1,30 351%
    1,39 376%
    1,44 389%
    1,50 405%

Arcane Torrent
    APS DPS
    1,02 204%
    1,30 260%
    1,39 278%
    1,44 288%
    1,50 300%

Ice Armor (!)
    APS WD reflect/hit
    1,02 10%
    1,30 13%
    1,39 14%
    1,44 14%
    1,50 15%

Familiar
    APS Damage
    1,02 15%
    1,30 20%
    1,39 21%
    1,44 22%
    1,50 22%
    1,53 23%

DEMON HUNTER

Rain of Vengeance
    APS DPS
    1,34 178%
    1,40 186%
    1,43 190%
    1,60 213%
    1,84 245%

Companion
    APS Damage
    1,34 40%
    1,40 42%
    1,43 43%
    1,60 48%
    1,84 55%

All precentages here are the precentage of your weapon damage. Barbarian doesn't have any skills that scale with APS, Demon Hunter has only two. I'll leave the values of each monk skill to Valkemen, as it's his "guinea pig" to test on. :>

Cya around.

Two monk's skills work with APS - Exploding Palm and Lethal Decoy

numbers for Lethal Decoy

no wpn = 1 APS = 110%
    1h wpn 1,40 APS = 154%
    dual wpn 1,40 APS +15% bonus = 1,6 APS = 177%

To sum it up then.

DMG of DOTs, channeling and cool-down skills (Basically all skills where attack speed normally doesn't help you.) are calculated based on Weapon DPS.

DMG of skills without cool-down are calculated based on weapon dmg. Attacks speed based on weapon APS.

This is pretty good but they should change the skill tool-tips. Instead of "140% weapon dmg per second" use "140% weapon DPS per second". Although, that sounds pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by snurrfint; 16-11-2011 at 13:19.

Finally, continuous scaling for DoTs. Makes things a lot easier to theorycraft. Just need to figure out the crit mechanics.

Also, I'm assuming only Barbs and Monks can dual wield melee weapons, and Hunters can dual wield small crossbows? And if you're worrying about DoTs and Monks, which weapon does the DoT damage? Do you alternate hands like other skills? Exploding Palm A on Monster A uses right hand weapon for DoTs, and Exploding Palm B on Monster B uses the left hand weapon for DoTs?

Quote Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
    Finally, continuous scaling for DoTs. Makes things a lot easier to theorycraft. Just need to figure out the crit mechanics.

Also, I'm assuming only Barbs and Monks can dual wield melee weapons, and Hunters can dual wield small crossbows? And if you're worrying about DoTs and Monks, which weapon does the DoT damage? Do you alternate hands like other skills? Exploding Palm A on Monster A uses right hand weapon for DoTs, and Exploding Palm B on Monster B uses the left hand weapon for DoTs?
    As I said before. DOT dmg is calculated using your basic attack DPS. This is presented to you nicely in the character screen in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHorZSXg4QU

If your DOT do 75% weapon dmg per second, you simply multiply 433 (in this case) with 0.75 and get 324 dmg/second. And thats all you'll have to know. If you want to see if dual-wielding will increase DoT dmg, simply equip an offhand weapon and check the basic attack DPS value.

I don't think the OP is right when he say that dual wielding increase the main weapon APS by 15%. I think your APS is a combined value of both weapons. That atleast, makes more sence to me.

Quote Originally Posted by snurrfint View Post
    I don't think the OP is right when he say that dual wielding increase the main weapon APS by 15%. I think your APS is a combined value of both weapons. That atleast, makes more sence to me.
    The math is what supports this, when you dual wield the number listed in the skill window will always have that 15% bonus.

It's something that can be checked with multitude of different weapon speeds equipped to each hand though. I'll see about getting it tested.

I think you're right on about it being the % of dps of the weapon, we just don't know if either the dps listing or the skill takes into account elemental effects on the weapons/gear or how it handles the damage calculations with dual wielding. It's things like that I would love to test for hours on end if I could.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neinball View Post
    The math is what supports this, when you dual wield the number listed in the skill window will always have that 15% bonus.

It's something that can be checked with multitude of different weapon speeds equipped to each hand though. I'll see about getting it tested.
    Done that already. Tested 8 times on different weapons, and the outcome was always the same. Equipping an offhand weapon increases attack speed by 15%.

Anyone want more numbers, just to prove it? :>