Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Re: 1.13d and mulitple cdkeys from 1 compouter

FYI, you can install D2 on VirtualPC as well. I installed an old Win98 SP2 as the guest OS (to make it as small as possible), downloaded the final Win98 patches (you can google for them), then Diablo and it works, in spite of the terribly old gfx card which is being used in the emulation (Trio S3 IIRC). You just have to download and install the 1.13 patch by hand. Full-screen mode shows a few ugly chunks in the graphics, but you will have none when using windowed mode. That's good enough for muling and rushing dummies for HF and socket rewards.

D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

vmware'n everything seems really complicated. Doesn't it stress your cpu, running another OS within your OS?
    I just copied my folder 3 times (1.7gb) and it still takes up less space than any of my other single-game game installations.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

VMWare won't work with Win98 and Diablo, I tried it. IIRC, the gfx test fails and there's no suitable gfx card emulation for Win98.

I have 3 copies of the game, so I need something beyond Sandboxie, as the freeware version allows only one sandbox at a time. That means, I would need a second program like that. I don't know any sandbox program but Sandboxie, so I installed a virtual Win98 machine.

I could switch to a different Windows account, but that needs a couple of key and mouse clicks and includes a few switches between screens while I prefer to have everything on the same screen.

I could also buy the full version of Sandboxie, but getting things done with what's already available (in a legal fashion, of course) is a part of the fun for me when using computers. It's like taking the stairs instead of the elevator because it's good for your health .

D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Use fast user switching.

It takes a minute to jump over to the other user, but I don't think it will work any other way without a third party program.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    vmware'n everything seems really complicated. Doesn't it stress your cpu, running another OS within your OS?
    I just copied my folder 3 times (1.7gb) and it still takes up less space than any of my other single-game game installations.
    It won't stress the CPU running Dii. Ram will be the bottleneck far sooner because you have two OS's loaded in ram at the same time. Even then, most computers could easily run 3 vm's + 3 Dii's plus the host machine and OS without any trouble Three vm's because of the limit of 4 instances per ip address per game enforced by battlenet.

sandboxie is the way ofc
    just take advantage of the fact that d2 will run from any folder (if you copy d2 folder on a different drive or even a stick it will work; there is no need to have it installed on that machine)

so, to save some space we can do the following (assuming n key sets)
    1) install d2 with the first set (let's assume install folder is c:\d2)
    2) move d2char.mpq and d2fsx.mpq and copy d2.exe in a sandbox in folder c\d2
    3) uninstall d2 and install again in the same folder with second key sey
    4) repeat 2) but using another sandbox
    5) repeat 3 and 4 for how many key sets you have
    6) make shortcuts to d2.exe for each sandbox on ur desktop with -w param
    7) now u can delete all d2.exe files from sandboxes if u want (not mandatory)

so finally u will have these
    1) d2 install folder (c:\d2) containing all files except d2char.mpq and d2fsx.mpq
    2) a bunch of sandboxes having in correspending d2 folder (c\d2) only the files d2char.mpq and d2fsx.mpq (and maybe d2.exe if u didn't delete it)
    3) shortcuts to each d2 sandbox

I have 3 sets of keys.. I lost me LoD cd, and had to register them through battle.net. So I had to do a digital install (with 26char keys). My other keys are 16char keys. But when I try to use my sandboxie (after following all the steps) and I get this error. I increases the File Migration to just over 600 MB. So what is causing this error?

The file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\Diablo II\d2char.mpq" could not be opened. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (InstallerFile::Open)