Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 Beta HIT LAG, it's TERRIBLE :(

......please folks, don't feed the fluffy troll......

Why do the trolls have to warp every thread ..

This thread is about the OP's genuine concern at their perceived 'hit lag' .. which is basically whether a hit against a player is determined, for a limited subset of monster attacks, based upon the start of an attack animation rather than the end of the attack animation, thus preventing you from dodging it. The OP took the time to make a video .. and while they come across as overly dramatic they are probably just passionate and concerned.

Online & Offline makes a BIG difference in lag, Offline has no lag at all no matter what game you play...

Here's online only PoE hit-lag test video. I have around 200-250ms (the server is located in Dallas and my pc is located in the eastern border of Europe).

The game has absolutely zero hit-lag with 200-250 ms latency.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by ursustas View Post
    Why do the trolls have to warp every.
    One player's warp is another player's focus, bear.

Does anyone disagree that Actiblizz's desire to monitor and potentially monetize every aspect of the play experience is 100% of the reason that offline-only exists in the first place?

And does anyone disagree that this is 99% of why lag is an issue? The code might be an issue, too, but I doubt it, a decade later.

Quote Originally Posted by permaximum View Post
    Here's online only PoE hit-lag test video. I have around 200-250ms (the server is located in Dallas and my pc is located in the eastern border of Europe).

Hopefully it will be like that in the final version of Diablo 3 as well.

Banned

It's not lag, it's just bad coding. It's much easier to do it Diablo 3's way, rather than Path of Exile's way. You have to account for animation time variables in PoE.

I guess you're right. I called it hit-lag because everyone used it to describe the problem.

IncGamers Member

Here's online only PoE hit-lag test video....
    Those poor, dumb zombies....

I'm very much hoping this is just a beta bug or something that's waiting till final stages to get polished up. I think it's no exaggeration to say that, for a game like D3, nothing is more important than having great feeling combat and this kind of thing does not feel great. Once the monsters start getting faster and more aggressive, I do not think it will seem like so small a thing.

BattleTag Azzure-1989

As some other people have mentioned in this thread, this has NOTHING to do with lag or latency. This would happen under 0ms conditions.

It's the way the game is programmed. When a monster starts a Swing (even before you see the animation beginning FYI), it always follows through. This is a combination of the way the game is coded, the way it animates and the difficulty of the game. Monsters with super-fast attack animations won't have this perceived problem. Act 1 Normal monsters all typically have slow-looking attack animations so they aren't as dangerous. In Inferno, when monsters are running around at high speed and doing fast deadly attacks, this will be less noticeable.

This is exclusively a question about game difficulty and balance IMO. Blizzard could make it so the attack doesn't register if you move (just like in that PoE video) but look at how easy it is to avoid damage using that model. You can run in, swing and then run out before the monster has a chance to touch you.

Short version: It's not lag, it's animations and coding. It has nothing to do with online-only. Keep the discussion relevant by not jumping on the "ONLINE ONLY SUCKS" bandwagon.