Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member MauriceBastard's Avatar

Diablo 3 Beta HIT LAG, it's TERRIBLE :(

I've made a video showing the monster attack hit lag in Diablo 3 Beta, it's quite terrible. I compare the hit lag in D3 beta with d2 offline single player and torchlight. I hope there is ZERO HIT LAG in Diablo 3 when it is released, because games with ZERO HIT LAG feel better.

http://youtu.be/WsuJXNeLm-4?hd=1

(i'm not saying torchlight is better then diablo 3, i'm just pointing out how much i dislike hit lag in any game. it's possible that hit lag is a part of all games with multiplayer code, seeing as torchlight has ZERO HIT LAG and it has no multiplayer code)

you can read my full diablo 3 beta rant here, http://mraaktagon.com/

Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 Beta HIT LAG, it's TERRIBLE :(

You are comparing offline-games to online-game, read up about latency
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/s...atency.htmThis applies to all network(online) games.

They do not add delays for fun...

IncGamers Member

Good thread, yeah its very noticeable. Something i picked up on straight away.

I don't know how much it will effect my characters in the end though until retail. I certainly won't be making hardcores...

@tyren

i understand that LAG is unavoidable for online games, i've been dealing with lag since 1996 when upgrading from a 14.4 to 28.8 modem help drop my ping for quake dm matches

BUT diablo 2 single player offline has hit lag, a small amount compared to diablo 3 beta. i'm thinking the lag is introduced by multiplayer code even when you play offline locally. so it's possible this hit lag in diablo 3 beta would still be there if you could play it offline locally. i can't test this theory. i think the best chance we might get to see if hit lag is reduced is by playing on a network that is local to the diablo 3 servers, perhaps at blizzcon, or if a blizzard employee playing at the blizzard offices. i'd like to see a comparison.

for all my ranting and raving, i'm hoping the full version of diablo 3 reduces/eliminates hit lag for people with high bandwidth/low latency connections. my cable modem with 30mb/1mb should be fast enough to hide the latency effects right? i know bandwidth and latency are different things by the way, it's just pretty common for higher bandwidth connections to have lower latency.

i pretty much love everything else about the beta and am playing... er testing it for what it is.

You are pretty much showing the most extreme example using Harvester. Yes, there is a bit of hit lag but not as bad as you make it out to be. The Harvester's attacks have much longer range than they look and has a really slow attack animation. In fact, most of the enemies in the beta have slow attack animations.

@ jumpymonkey

i disagree. all you have to do is run around a pack of 3-5 zombies and you get a even WORSE effect from hit lag. you'll be getting pelted with invisible attacks. this is not something you normally do in diablo, normally you kill the monsters so fast you don't even see this happen.

IF the harvester is supposed to have a longer range, then the animation and model should be changed to show this so it doesn't look/feel crappy.

one thing that might help would be attack radius rings around enemies, that you can toggle on and off. just so you can see where their range is. YES it would look terrible but might be helpful to sort out when you'll get hit.

I checked myself and it is not nearly as bad as the video you showed. You probably have a latency issue making it look more extreme.

@ JumpyMonkey

is there a test i can run to see what my latency to the diablo 3 beta servers is and compare it to yours?

IncGamers Member

I posted about this before and got very little concern:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=811825

Considering this is an action game, I think this kind of stuff, which greatly impacts the fluidity and feel of combat, is extremely important so I'm pretty disappointed about it.

There is a latency bar in the game but I'm not sure how accurate it is. It's to the left of your resource sphere. Mine usually sticks around 64-72 msec and occasionally spikes up to 100-109.