Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BattleTag Kastigar-1218

Re: The Really Big Barb thread

Shields DO give a chance to block in addition to the large amount of armor they grant.

I must admit that I shed my shield almost instantly when I got a second 1h and I shed those almost as soon as I could find a 2h as that's my preference.

But shields do seem to function as you'd expect them, large armor pools with chance to block as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastigar View Post
    Thanks a mill Zediono, really awesome of you to compile those for the thread. It has been added to the first post at the bottom.

As do address your question Yab, I can't say for 100% certainty as I don't have access to Weapon Master for use (one more level, it'll just take a little time to grind out). However, I can give you the info I have. Mighty weapons...well I'm not sure what they are, but I can tell you I have the ability to craft one.

This particular one is a 1h sword, and it stats don't seem particularly...unique. However, it lists its weapon class as "Mighty Weapon" instead of "1h Sword". So it looks like it's either a Mighty Weapon or it isn't. So it seems like a weapon can only qualify for one of these bonuses.

I think ultimately this may come down to personal taste. Do you want crit more? Hit harder with regular attacks? Generate more fury for special abilities? Blizzard has said they want all of the weapon combos, be it 2h, 1h or sword and shield, to be viable and really only come down to preference. This ability may be a way to help make that possible. As well as giving more variety between weapon types, provided you opt to use it.

I'll report a bit more about it when I hit 13. I just hit 12, but I'll keep you guys posted.

Edit: Just crafted a pair of the Swords with "Mighty Weapon" as their type. They seem comparable damage wise. They are slightly weaker together than my 2h axe (but my 2h axe is pretty awesome). Other than that they are just...really large 1 handers. The difference between Mighty Weapons and their 1h or 2h (possibly) counterparts may be a matter of taste and little else. It could just be, how big do you want your weapons to be? I don't notice and other immediate differences that jump out at me.

Edit 2: They do come with large (30%) bonuses to critical hit damage by default (for the crafted ones at least). It's hard to say if this is an attribute of the weapon class though as these are the first I've seen. Will continue to hunt the beta for more info.
    Thanks for the answers, I think I know what Massive Weapons are - found a picture of one of those:

It would be really hard to tell what type they are, so I guess it's just it's own kind I suppose. That's why there are probably no additional bonus beside the +1 Fury gain from Weapon Master.

Last edited by Yab; 09-09-2011 at 07:20. Reason: typo ;p

BattleTag Kastigar-1218

That's actually exactly what I crafted. Hopefully my answer wasn't too convoluted, I'm pretty tired so I may not be as concise as normal.

DIII just keeps me awake :P

Mighty items are weapons and armors that are only usable by the Barbarian from what I've seen so far.

DIII just keeps me awake :P
    *in the emperors voice* Goooood.

BattleTag Kastigar-1218

That is true, that is definitely one of their unique points. They have a Barbarian requirement on them (which that screen Yab posted shows). I haven't hit a crafting wall yet, So I'm gonna keep leveling it and see if I get access to any mighty armor pieces or additional weapons.

I'll post if I see any other common trends between the items.

IncGamers Member

How is dual wielding compared to 2handers? From streams it seems like 2h hits for quite more than dual 1h, and if almost all skills have %weapon dmg how its counted? When you dual wield this count % from main hand or from both weapons? I wanted to dual wield but now I'm thinking why even bother when fury is gained by doing/receiving dmg, you gain more fury per 2h swing, when using skills you again get more fury cuz of weapon % and so on, am I missing smn?

Quote Originally Posted by Kielki View Post
    you gain more fury per 2h swing
    There are a lot of questions about fury at this point. For example, is the amount you gain based on damage or just the number of hits? Fury generator skills also list fixed a number that you gain, but is that all you get when you use that skill or is that just a base value which will increase with every monster you hit? It would be great if Kastigar could shed some light on these questions.

BattleTag Kastigar-1218

They've truthfully cut through enemies at about the same rate. You offset the lower damage with faster swings on the 1 handed weapons.

I'll just use cleave as an example. Cleave with my 2h does about 45-50 damage a hit. Cleave while dual wielding is doing around 25 damage a hit. But since you get 2 attacks in roughly the same time as 1 attack with a 2h. It evens out almost exactly.

I can't say for certain whether skills are using weapon damage of both weapons or not. My guess is no otherwise my 1hs would have a clear advantage with speed on top of an almost equal amount of weapon damage to a 2h. That being said, the tool tips don't specify anything that specific (yet).

Blizz has said they'd like the options to be as equal as possible in damage output. So I'd say you are fine if you want to DW. I've noticed no drop in performance by storing my 2h for a while and using nice 1hs. It feels different...more frantic I guess. But the results are very very similar.

@hard- I'm playing atm, I'll look into this right now.

Cleave while dual wielding is doing around 25 damage a hit. But since you get 2 attacks in roughly the same time as 1 attack with a 2h.
    May I have a two follow-up questions (I know, I'm asking a lot of stuff)?

Can you see if skills (Cleave for example) use both your equipped weapons by switching after each swing? I guess you would need two elemental weapons to see this clearly, so it may be a little tricky to verify.

I'm also interested to know which weapon Leap Attack uses if you dual-wield, because in this case it would make sense if it would use both at the same time, since there's no attack animation that could be modified by the increased attack speeds compared to a two-hander.

And I have to say again, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

BattleTag Kastigar-1218

Ok so Fury:

The standard attack (not skill) generate 2 points of fury. Type of weapon doesn't matter, nor does damage done. So hit or crit, 1h or 2h, basic attack = 2 Fury if it connects.

Fury generation on abilities gives you the stated amount per attack. For example, cleave gives you 2 fury. If you hit 15 enemies with 1 cleave you get...2 fury, if you hit 1 enemy with cleave you get (you guessed it) 2 fury.

Fury is also gained when receiving damage. It looks like 2 fury per hit. It doesn't seem to be variable based on damage received.

As for animations and what it shows when using abilities like cleave. It appears that he alternates between MH and OH with each swing. It's really tough to tell, but that's what the animation looks like. I double checked to be sure, and I'm almost 100% positive it alternates. It's just getting difficult to find mobs that survive 1 cleave. I'm farming the Skeleton king so I'll check again when I fight him.

edit: added Fury observations to 2nd post.

edit: Okay, abilities are definitely alternating between main and off hands when going DW.