Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: Will my computer run Diablo 3 Beta?

Quote Originally Posted by NuWorld View Post
    I agree with Tilitoon, buy laptop if you need mobility, otherwise dektop is far better option.
    Not always I have home situation (newborn) and gave up my rook for my little kid. Im planing to play on Laptop now if i will be able

This is my recently purchased rig - It runs Torchlight on highest settings and runs LOTRO on medium - Don't have WoW installed anymore nor do I plan on it Also never played SC2

http://www.hp.com/united-states/pers.../s5730f_ds.pdf

The one concern I have is that my gpu is "ATI Radeon HD 3000" which isn't even listed. I would anticipate this comp. would run D3, but would like advisement from someone who knows more about hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshertw View Post
    This is my recently purchased rig - It runs Torchlight on highest settings and runs LOTRO on medium - Don't have WoW installed anymore nor do I plan on it Also never played SC2

http://www.hp.com/united-states/pers.../s5730f_ds.pdf

The one concern I have is that my gpu is "ATI Radeon HD 3000" which isn't even listed. I would anticipate this comp. would run D3, but would like advisement from someone who knows more about hardware.
    From what I've seen, Starcraft 2 can be played on "Low" settings with the ATI Radeon HD 3000 integrated graphics. Don't expect better than that for Diablo 3. This is the very low end of the "playable" configurations. You get what you pay for, in this case a very cheap and good PC for Web surfing etc. but not very good for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilitoon View Post
    From what I've seen, Starcraft 2 can be played on "Low" settings with the ATI Radeon HD 3000 integrated graphics. Don't expect better than that for Diablo 3. This is the very low end of the "playable" configurations. You get what you pay for, in this case a very cheap and good PC for Web surfing etc. but not very good for gaming.
    Thanks for the reply. I use it to run recording studio software and its powerful enough for those applications, which I would think are equal to or more resource heavy than gaming, as far as power is concerned, minus the graphical component. I actually purchased this comp for the studio, and gaming was an afterthought.

With an integrated graphics chip like this, could I still buy another card with a bit more power and get to at least "medium" settings without spending a fortune (i.e. any easy to install cards out there that would work for this computer?). Any compatible cards you would recommend for under $100 or so that might provide a noticeable upgrade?

Note: It says there is a PCI Express slot available in the spec sheet (to save you the trouble of checking it again)

IncGamers Member

Look for Radeon 5670, 6670, 5750 and 6750, last one being the fastest. These should be within your budget, just make sure that they have DDR5 memory, not DDR3. If you can scrap few more bucks get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161387

512 Mb of video RAM should be enough if you play on resolutions lower than 1920*1080, otherwise get the card with 1 Gb DDR5.

These cards don't draw much power so you shouldn't have any problems if you have half decent PSU.

Edit: Crap, I just saw this review: http://compreviews.about.com/od/sff/...ine-s5730f.htm

It says that your only PCI-e slot is blocked by PSU, so you migth be out of luck with upgrade.

Thanks for the reply. I use it to run recording studio software and its powerful enough for those applications, which I would think are equal to or more resource heavy than gaming, as far as power is concerned, minus the graphical component. I actually purchased this comp for the studio, and gaming was an afterthought.

With an integrated graphics chip like this, could I still buy another card with a bit more power and get to at least "medium" settings without spending a fortune (i.e. any easy to install cards out there that would work for this computer?). Any compatible cards you would recommend for under $100 or so that might provide a noticeable upgrade?

Note: It says there is a PCI Express slot available in the spec sheet (to save you the trouble of checking it again)
    I have started writing this reply at noon but since then NuWorld has pretty much answered. I will post it anyway just in case...

It is indeed "powerful enough" to run the applications but it is also far from being a true workstation or something like that. Usually you would want at least 4 cores, hyper threading (for INTEL cpus), a lot of memory (at least 6GB), and a fast hard drive. But I'm sure it is good enough for a "home recording studio", and certainly a very good "performance for bucks" ratio.

As for you question, pretty much any dedicated PCI express video card would be better than an integrated chip. Your main concern if you want to add a dedicated gfx card would be the power supply. I'm not sure what it is, but it is probably the bare minimum you need for your current system. Graphics cards usually add a substantial amount of power requirement. So, can you take a look at it and tell us what specs it has ? You might need to replace it if you want to add a decent video card. For ~100$ you might want to take a look at the Radeon 6570.

Your last option might be Hybrid CrossFire but I'm not sure it would be a good option. For starter, I'm not even sure it is available on your motherboard... I'd have to double check. Basically what it is : you add a dedicated video card and it runs in crossfire with your integrated chip. It has to be from the 3000 series, like the Radeon HD3850. The other problem is that those cards are pretty hard to find, and the last problem is that it is not that much more powerful (compared to a standard dedicated video card like the before-mentioned Radeon 6570. The advantages are : price = very low, doesn't require much more power.

Lame re: blocked expansion slot. I'll have to take a look at my warranty and see if I can maybe return the thing due to "design flaws" - Pretty sure I got a year of "anything" coverage on it at least.

I sort of bought this computer out of desperation - old PC died before a major recording session and had a very small budget to work with. I'm actually "inheriting" a fairly new (year and half old as of now) I-mac in a couple of months when my Dad upgrades so I will probably switch to that as both my main gaming (read: Diablo 3) and recording computer.

That said, from what I've seen of the Beta, playing on "low" would be fine, I've always been a fan of content over graphics anyhow. I'm happy to play in lower that 1920x1080 - I'll have to just find a resolution that plays smoothly and rock that.

Here's hoping the shipped product has less stringent requirements than the Beta :(

Thanks again for the help guys.

Hey, so I'm planning on getting a new pc with the following specs:

CPU : Core i5 2400 3.1Ghz
    MoBo : P8P67-M B3
    RAM : 2x4GB G.Skill SNIPER Edition
    GPU : AMD Radeon HD 6850 V2
    HDD : Caviar Green 1TB

Since my MoBo will allow me to add 2 more ram sticks and another hd 6850 in the future instead of buying a new setup, I thought I'd get a better processor to start with. I want to go with the i5 2500 or 2500k. Since I dont really understand anything about overclocking my question is this: Is there any point getting the 2500k if I dont know how to overclock?

Lame re: blocked expansion slot. I'll have to take a look at my warranty and see if I can maybe return the thing due to "design flaws" - Pretty sure I got a year of "anything" coverage on it at least.

I sort of bought this computer out of desperation - old PC died before a major recording session and had a very small budget to work with. I'm actually "inheriting" a fairly new (year and half old as of now) I-mac in a couple of months when my Dad upgrades so I will probably switch to that as both my main gaming (read: Diablo 3) and recording computer.

That said, from what I've seen of the Beta, playing on "low" would be fine, I've always been a fan of content over graphics anyhow. I'm happy to play in lower that 1920x1080 - I'll have to just find a resolution that plays smoothly and rock that.

Here's hoping the shipped product has less stringent requirements than the Beta :(

Thanks again for the help guys.
    Yea I think my advise would be to try it on low settings and then switch for another computer later on when you get the chance. Upgrading your current system might be a pain in the ***, especially if you are not that familiar with components upgrades. With a "regular" desktop computer it would have been easy (simply insert any PCIx graphic card), but with yours, if you run into incompatibilities with either the case/design or the other components, you won't have a good time troubleshooting the problem and trying to fix it.

I don't think the final game will have "less stringent requirements". It might have more visual settings but I think it will be more for the higher end video cards, like FSAA support and stuff like that. Also keep in mind that if you play with 3 other people, in more detailed areas/environments, it will be more demanding. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you will be able to play the game on low settings and enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post

Since my MoBo will allow me to add 2 more ram sticks and another hd 6850 in the future instead of buying a new setup, I thought I'd get a better processor to start with. I want to go with the i5 2500 or 2500k. Since I dont really understand anything about overclocking my question is this: Is there any point getting the 2500k if I dont know how to overclock?
    To answer your question first, the easy answer would be :
    No, you don't need the "K" version if you don't know how to overclock.

The elaborated answer would be :
    Most medium / high end motherboards now have overclock buttons, which automatically overclock your CPU for you. Sometimes it is a physical toggle button on the motherboard, sometimes it's a setting in the BIOS, and it can also be done from a software in Windows. You can also manually overclock the CPU in the BIOS. The SandyBridge platform (the one you are currently looking to buy), is the easiest platform to overclock ever made. Besides all the "auto overlock" methods I've mentioned, the manual way to overclock it from the BIOS simply involves going into the AI Tweaker (ASUS boards), and increase the multiplier (CPU Ratio).

Since the default Base Clock on these boards are set to 100Mhz, it is very easy to calculate the overclock. For example, the i5 2500K is clocked at 3.3GHZ. It has a default CPU Ratio of 33.
    Your CPU frequency = Base Clock * CPU Ratio, in this case
    100Mhz * 33 = 3.3Ghz.

So if you want to overclock your CPU to 4.1Ghz, which is really easy to obtain with these CPUs, all you need to do is change the CPU Ratio to 41.

Now if you are reading this and you are scared, then by all means, pick the i5 2500 (not K) and you will be fine, more than "fine" really, as the i5 2500 is the best gaming CPU out there. You don't "need" to overclock your CPU to get incredible performances out of this CPU, it is already very good at stock speed. But if you have basic computer/hardware knowledge and you think you can do it, then yes an overclocked 2500K is really really good. The only other thing you need to know is that if you are planning to overclock, you must buy an aftermarket cooler. Well, even if you are not planning on overclocking I would still suggest you buy one (the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus is a very good option). But I would suggest a better colling solution than the Hyper212 if you are planning on overclocking more than 4.0Ghz (the Coolit Systems Eco would be a good choice).

As for the other components choices :

Motherboard : the P8P67-M is a mATX board, so if you are not planning on installing your motherboard in an mATX case, then I would suggest you buy an ATX motherboard, as it will have more features and will have more upgrade options.

Memory : Yep, good choice, I'm not sure which version you chose though, just make sure it is compatible with your motherboard (they are compatible with the ASUS P8P67 boards).

GPU : Yep, good video card for that price, if all you are aiming for is to play D3 on high settings, then it is a good choice. If you want to run future games such as Battlefield 3 then you want the MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II for ~$125 more.

HDD : Don't buy a "Green" HDD for your OS and applications. They are storage drives, they are not spinning at the standard 7200rpm. What you want is the Caviar Black.

IncGamers Member

Perhaps you could try to check with HP if they can offer you u proper midi tower case instead of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post

Overclocking sandy bridge processors is not as complicated as his predecessors, since the FSB clock is locked at 100 MHz, all you have to do is raise multiplier in BIOS. 2500K runs at 33x100 = 3,3 GHz, you can safely overclock it at 40x100 with raising Vcore voltage to 1.28 V, that is a good boost and this is really modest overclock for this CPU. Another good thing about SB is that you can still use SpeedStep technology while overclocking so processor will not run at full speed when it's not necessary. You should just buy a separate cooler because stock cooler is very noisy beyond 3.8 GHz, you don't need any high-end coolers, something like this will be enough: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233081

6850 is a good (and inexpensive) choice for SLI but you should look for mobo that runs SLI in x8 mode, for example -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131703

You would want to get a good 650 W PSU for SLI. Also, one recommendation about hard drive, "green" disks are rather sluggish as a system disks, you should get smaller caviar black disk for a system disk and use green disk just for storage.

Last edited by NuWorld; 13-09-2011 at 12:44.