Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    IncGamers Member

Re: So much for playing D3 while deployed.

Creating the Diablo 3 public server will be a beast amount of work. It's not like enemy units are as simple as they are in MMO's - movement patterns for one will consume hundreds of hours of the developer's time.

Personally, I would rather make my own Diablo clone and sell it for riches and lord it over them that I finally made a game strictly better than Diablo II than to take up the yolk of furnishing a D3 server. You'd have competition, and the rewards would be nascent.

That said, fans spend hundreds of hours building emulators and translation patches of old games (or even in the case of Quest for Glory 2 - AN ENTIRE FREAKING REMAKE)... there will be a decent (but perhaps not great) Diablo 3 public server one day. A day much sooner than 12 years from now, at the very least.

I find that comforting in a strange way.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    No. The point is if you are older than 18 and are unable to play Diablo 3 because of the online condition, it is the result of choices and decisions you made so don't expect sympathy. Companies don't have to design their products so that certain groups of people are able to use them, so the argument that military personel will be unable to play Diablo 3 is irrelevant. Just as it is irrelevant that I can't play Diablo 3 at work; Blizzard doesn't have to, an don't, care about that.

Fine. Join the military then, but don't expect companies like Blizzard to cater to that decision.
    I did not come here looking for sympathy, and know full well the implications of my choices. To give you better context of deployed life, instead of comparing it to your lunch break, compare it to you coming home after work but are unable to play D3 or leave your house for a solid 3-6 months. Some live like that for over a year. Yes it was our "choice" as we are all full aware of, and don't want anyone to feel sorry for us because of our careers, but it still gets old fast so any small pleasantry is welcome. I don't consider wanting a single player version of a game to enjoy all too demanding.

However I made my posts to simply state my opinion on the matter like so many of us come to these forums to do on various topics. Bottom line is, I think it sucks that I will be unable to play one of my favorite titles for 3-6 months. Are there other games? Yes. Will I get over it? Yes. I also do realize that military personnel without a internet connection is a very small part of the overall market bucket. I would be no more happy if they made it so you need a connection to watch a DVD because they might wanted to update the special features. I am also slightly worried that they may adopt an online requirement with all future Blizzard and copying companies games.

They have valid points, but I feel it is still not a good argument to not providing a option to make a single player character that I can play only on my computer and with no one else. As flux often states if I can't get my head around that concept its my own fault and that way the people that don't have constant access to online can still enjoy their game.

I thought the obvious solution for OP is to... not join the military? Dude, the military beggared the country and you are whining that you can't play D3 while deployed??? WTF????

IncGamers Member

Honestly reverse engineering diablo 3 is going to be a lot easier than reverse engineering world of warcraft. It'll be done and it'll be a lot more stable than the wow private servers aswell. Not to mention that, as far as I'm aware there are some pretty good vanilla wow private servers out there now. One of the main challenges in reverse engineering world of warcraft is that it changes too quickly, and of course the massive server size.

Diablo 3 is much smaller, will change a lot slower and in general have a lot simpler mechanics, given that only 4 players are supposed to play simultaneously.

IncGamers Member

I agree, private servers will be easier to engineer than WOW which i believe took about a year. But a crack will be produced fairly quick for D3, their drm is just a delay on the inevitable, it's complexity will govern how long the delay will be. D3 will be a huge target and therefore will speed up the process most likely. Blizz's drm is nothing new and good crackers shouldn't have much problems with it. A packet sniffer will be used to intercept the incoming server instructions & data, this code will be surely encrypted but the client software will have to decrypt it to be able to use it. Another 3rd party app will be used to reveal the algorithm used in this process and fully unhindered data logging can then commence. A localhost server will be utilized to simulate Blizz's server which will have all the info needed for the program to properly function in SP mode with char. saves also being stored on the users hdd. A crack will be compiled to be used to run the game and utilize the localhost server in lieu of Blizz's BN server.

This will prolly not be the optimal version of the game but should be quite adequate for those people being locked out by Blizz's online only drm. Of course any hot fixes (ie. patches) administered from BN will most likely have delayed releases as well, if at all. Which may or may not be a problem depending on how buggy the game is at launch. I personally have a very stable hsi but i absolutely hate this kind of drm for a multitude of reasons. Even though i hate to support this kind of behavior i will most likely end up buying the game, but at a later date. Of course this also depends on how it's generally received and also because i have a few concerns with the directions they've took.

I truly feel bad for all the people out there with bad or no internet conx, especially seeing as how a separate offline only SP client would have been extremely easy for Blizz to have implemented and would have contributed no detrimental effects to the BN servers. This is unfortunately not the Blizz of old. I do hope the game turns out to be a masterpiece, even it it's a flawed one.