Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Offline single player back in??

Hey guys, just spotted this recent Bashiok quote that I thought I'd share:

"There is offline single player, but it's something we're going to attempt to discourage as best as possible.

A lot of us, myself included, and probably a lot of you and your friends had the exact same Diablo II experience. You get the game, start playing, your friend says let's try co-op, and when you log in your characters aren't there. After a slight freakout moment and potentially some use of Webcrawler to search the World Wide Web with Netscape 6, you realized or figured out that you had to start over. That's actually an experience that can cause someone to stop playing the game. Maybe you or I let out a huge sigh, and maybe a brief mourning period after realizing the last 60 hours were completely wasted, but we pressed on. That's not the case for everyone. Maybe most people. I actually refused to start over for a while and continued on in single-player before finally jumping on Battle.net. Who knows what a lesser man would have done...

So, if we can get people online and creating character on Battle.net from the get-go, there's less chance of that catastrophe. But there's still a play offline option, if you should need it."

Looks like offline has been in the whole time. What a random miscommunication. You'd think with this press event being so well planned it would have been a little more accurate about the game features.

IncGamers Member

Re: Offline single player back in??

Oh thank ****ing god. Blizzard hasn't went completely bananas.

Now, for all the journalists to print redaction, because let me tell you, this caused rage everywhere.

IncGamers Member

That quote is from 2010. It's most unfortunately outdated. Most unfortunately.

IncGamers Member

I guess that means no zonfire or plugy.

IncGamers Member

Oh. Damn, I wonder if I enraged any journalists.

<Cast Redaction>

IncGamers Member

Ah crap, my bad, thought it was a new quote.

IncGamers Member

Well, at the very least, they might get Bashiok to respond to it directly. Then your thread will magically become relevant again!

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Quote Originally Posted by badKarma View Post
    I guess that means no zonfire or plugy.
    Good. They're both cheats that aren't welcome here. And if you use them and trade or multiplay here, neither are you. Just fair warning.

OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ

Yeah, that's an old quote, sadly. Here's Jay Wilson from last week's event.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games...Is-Jay-Wilson/

Gameplanet: What happens if you drop out during mid-play?
    Wilson: If you completely drop? Your character could die, but we don't have a case where the penalty for that is harsh, unless you're playing a hardcore characters, in which case I wouldn't do that with a bad connection. But then, hardcore characters are generally the type of characters people want to play online because they play them for bragging rights. You can't really brag if it's on a home computer where you could have cheated to create the character. So yes, you could die, but the penalty for death isn't really harsh, it's essentially a small durability hit on your items, which costs a little bit of gold, which isn't too bad. There's no corpse runs or anything like that, and even if there were like in Diablo II, they were not that harsh. You could log out of the game and log back in, and your body would be there waiting for you.

Gameplanet: Has piracy affected this decision?
    Wilson: It's a factor, but it wasn't a deciding factor. Player experience is pretty much always our deciding factor. We ask what do we think will be the best possible experience we can give to players, and we really felt an online one was the best one.

Gameplanet: Did you toy with the idea of allowing offline play, but locking the player out and requiring them to start again for online play?
    Wilson: That was the Diablo II way, and what drove us to this was how bad of an experience we thought that was. It was so common in Diablo II for people to start up a game, finish it, get to normal difficulty and want to play with their friends online, then realise that they can't actually do that without starting over. We did have the offline Battle.Net experience, but if your friends are on Battle.Net, which is where most people were, you didn't really get to actually play with them, so that was one of the things that drove us to that decision.

--Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Ah, so Bashiok/Blizzard is completely missing why and how certain players vastly prefer never having to play online.

OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ