Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

BattleTag Hylian-1397

Re: Jay Wilson's interview by Diablo3.cc

he looks tired as hell in those pics, like the stress is eating away at him.

Diablo: IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Eric-2780

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Interesting that Jay says they've designed legendaries to be build specific. (Incidentally, I'm not looking forward to the day when we're all abbreviating that to "legs.")
    Seen the gear on that female barb over there, man?
    Hmmm, yeah... she has great legs...

Quote Originally Posted by kuangtu View Post
    I think he was angry with me....

I was talking to him while another reporter took some of these pictures for me.
    Did you ask him about the release date? That may have made him angry.

May I ask what that was that diablo.cc gave to Mr. Morhaime? They look very ornate and detailed, but I'm not sure what they are. I haven't seen anything like it before.

I feel insensitive asking, as maybe they are some sort of Chinese cultural thing that I don't know about. But they're beautiful, whatever they are.

Seems they're influenced by WoW on this point, where all of the builds have specific sets of gear that are clearly the best for them, though thankfully D3 is going that cookie cutter in item design.
    I view this as a positive thing, actually. Depending on the items in question, at least. For instance, maybe they know people will want to make a battlemage (melee wizard) so they designed lolegs to support that, knowing that there are mostly set mods on them. So perhaps they'll use the legendaries to support wacky builds, or potential builds, and let rares fill in the niche gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyliangod View Post
    he looks tired as hell in those pics, like the stress is eating away at him.
    Good. As we'd say in the bnet forums, sign of the betaŽ.
    The more tired he looks, the harder they're working. His suffering is our delight.

BattleTag Varquynne-1986

Quote Originally Posted by Risingred View Post
    May I ask what that was that diablo.cc gave to Mr. Morhaime? They look very ornate and detailed, but I'm not sure what they are. I haven't seen anything like it before.

I feel insensitive asking, as maybe they are some sort of Chinese cultural thing that I don't know about. But they're beautiful, whatever they are.
    Secondii described the gift a bit in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by secondii View Post
    as far as i know,it called "King Rose-Archon's Mace".it's a SC2 theme mace,hand crafted by ogrm/奥格瑞码,the main material used is red copper by gold-filled,it have at least 5kg weight. you can find some high resolution pics here→http://game.163.com/photoview/455600...LQSTR445560031
    Incidentally, there are more pictures of their visit with Mike Morhaime and Frank Pierce that you can find navigating that site. Mike puts the gift in the Blizzard collectibles lounge (or whatever the room's called). It's interesting (or not, actually) to see how poorly represented the Diablo universe is in that room, though.

Interesting that Jay says they've designed legendaries to be build specific.
    I think it's a great decision because it's easier to create build-specific legendaries than build-specific sets. Or rather, it makes more sense to use sets as the general purpose items: there's fewer of them around, they're meant to appeal to a larger group of players and ultimately players are encouraged to wear as many items from the same set as possible.

WoW uses this approach as well and it's much better than how D2 handled class sets, where set completion required the use of very specific weapons (e.g. IK maul). In comparison, only a fraction of the sets in WoW feature a weapon, so I'm guessing Blizzard has learned a few itemization lessons since.

IncGamers Member

Interesting that Jay says they've designed legendaries to be build specific. (Incidentally, I'm not looking forward to the day when we're all abbreviating that to "legs.")

There were some items obviously made for specific play types in D2, especially the class-specific uniques added in d2x, and some specific oddities, like the unique scythe with the big Necro bonuses, but for the most part the d2 uniques were more general bonuses and in most cases were useful (or not) for multiple classes/builds.

Seems they're influenced by WoW on this point, where all of the builds have specific sets of gear that are clearly the best for them, though thankfully D3 is going that cookie cutter in item design.
    flux, can you make a news thread with the full interview (is this the end of it or are there more questions?) can you discuss what the lore bit is about "its gone how hell wanted it to"? how is this the most revealing bit of the plot?

IncGamers Member

Yay. Having legendary items custom tuned for various character builds was one major thing I hoped they would do for items. Rares/Crafted items being competitive, and by exclusion, should translate into them having the most raw power. Which is another thing I hoped they would do.

So the question is then... what is the niche of high level sets (probably more specialized legendaries), and will legendaries be ultimately at least as varied as uniques/runewords were in Diablo 2?

Quote Originally Posted by palwe View Post
    flux, can you make a news thread with the full interview (is this the end of it or are there more questions?) can you discuss what the lore bit is about "its gone how hell wanted it to"? how is this the most revealing bit of the plot?
    Because it reveals some of the motivation for the invasion. Motives are the key to any story.

So we can look back at the events in previous games and realize that Hell wanted that to happen, and now we can figure out why.

Quote Originally Posted by palwe View Post
    this is my current status........I really need some time, so hang in there~Just couple more questions to go for this interview. I think I will try to finish it tonight.

I have other pictures to share too, and not just about Mr. Wilson.