Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Questions for Max Schaefer?

If you can please ask him if he was in charge of making Diablo 3, what would he do differently than what the current Diablo 3 team is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
    If you can please ask him if he was in charge of making Diablo 3, what would he do differently than what the current Diablo 3 team is doing.

probably ask him how far he thinks diablo 3 is off release?
    He actually asked me about that. He's not closely following D3 nor does he have any inside contacts at Bliz who divulge info to him on it.
    He wouldn't be able to give you a good answer, let alone an answer you'd want to hear.

IncGamers Member

Q: "How close was BN's version of D3 to beta ? Less than 3 months ? Less than 9 months?"

A: "Max left in 2003. BN closed in 2005 and was still nowhere near beta ready."

Then I must have misunderstood you when you were talking about the pics that were released last month (2 months ago). I thought you said they were pics of the game from very late in the development process. So I was assuming those pics were from Max's time and that "very late in the development process" meant 6-9 months from beta.

So maybe those pics were from a point after Max left ?

I think the religious symbolism comment is the first negative comment I've heard from from him about D3.
    I'm pretty sure he didn't say anything negative about the colors, art, resource system, removal of weapon switch or automatic stats.

max and most of the rest of the long time employees and all the founders of bliz north left in mid-2003. and the game was still basically at the planning stage at that point. Very early, nothing even approaching show off publicly. Max said the last he'd seen of D3 was nothing like the leaked screens. Said he couldn't even have testified that they were authentically from D3, though he had no reason to doubt it.

The screens were from 2005, near the end of the development done at BN. All of which was scrapped by Bliz Irvine before they rebooted the project largely from scratch in 2006.

--Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    One of their reasons for leaving BN was to make FSS and keep it small and creative; "which we failed miserably at." he said, laughing. So 2nd try at a new team he thinks they'll manage to keep it small and fun and intimate this time.
    In my, limited, experience with FSS they were by far the best developing team I ever had the pleasure of "working" with by beta testing. The community that Mythos had back in the days was just outstanding. It's really sad if he thinks FSS as a failure since they, in my opinion, had two games going with immense potential.

When TL came I was of course eagerly anticipating it, since it was mostly the same crew as FSS (as far as I know!), but in my opinion TL leaves alot to be desired, especially compared to Mythos (back then).

And even though it's probably not much point in asking about the future of TL2 (or the MMO), I'd still prod him for some info on the talent trees, crafting and dungeon-instancing, and gently try to remind him that Mythos had it right!

Yeah, not much D3 related stuff here, but I'm sure he gets enough of that anyhow..

Not necessarily a question, but with all the haters crying about "Blizzard turning D3 into WoW", this new IncGamers article where Max Schaefer says Diablo 3 was planned to be an MMORPG (!!!) is hilarious. It sounds like the modern Blizzard probably SAVED Diablo 3 from turning into WoW.

Who'd a thunk it?

I`m not fond of a console version.

What happened with this? Was the interview posted in the front page? Will we ever know who drew the character artwork from the Diablo 1 Manual?

Part one of the Max interview, with all the Diablo stuff, was posted in our first podcast.
    http://www.diablopodcast.com/the-dia...t-episode-one/

There's even a transcript!

The second half of the interview, covering mostly torchlight and other game dev stuff, will be posted Monday, April 18th. Check diablopodcast.com for the update when it's ready.

--Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

Wow, I didn't even know that website existed (although it seems to be quite new, less than a month old) and I really like the Diablo icon with the headphones, Who did that image? Is it modified from another one?.

Anyway, 'll listen to the interview right away, thanks.