Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could it be?

IncGamers Member IVI E G A T O N's Avatar

Could it be?

While questing with my cousin in his first ever playthrough of the game, the most astonishing event of my D2 career took place.

We are sitting right beside each other at the same desk, I'm on the desktop and he's on the laptop. He's been playing a Fanatic Zealot, while I've been teleporting circles around him with a Pure Light Sorc. We've just made it to the Canyon of the Magi in Hell. After heading to town for some quick IDing and Repairing (He picks up a lot of junk...), we head back out into the desert.

I'm checking the quest log for the symbol of the True Tomb of Tal-Rasha, but he hasn't got time for such trivial things. There are bugs to be slain. I mention that he's headed the wrong way, but he couldn't care less. He's whacking along with my Grief PB having a merry ol' time. How could I deny him the satisfaction of smashing more beetles to bits, and watching their lightning cover the screen in a hopeless attempt at harming him. (standard /players setting, he has died enough) So I follow...

We are maybe two screens away from the Waypoint and I'm slinging Chain Lightning past him into the crowds. Things are falling almost before sight. I hear the faint squish that signals an orange present has fallen. I check the ground ahead and there lies a Vex rune. I'm excited, he's indifferent.

Then within seconds (maybe 15) I hear the same sound, this time from his speakers. I look over just in time to see him picking up this.

My brain explodes I promptly, threw it back on the ground, took a Screenie, grabbed it back up, and told him to GTFO! (As you can tell in the pic, he dropped it and immediately ran off to kill some more as if nothing had happened... Still going the wrong way )

Is this some sort of Diablo related divine intervention or something? If I don't make a BotD will the runes turn to dust, or my hand be ripped apart by some sort of animal, never to mouse that beautiful gauntlet again? Have I been chosen to carry out a plan that is bigger than I am? ( I know, I took it too far...)

What a moment! I had to explain to him the enormous odds of this particular rune falling. (Well it is 1.13 but still...). His response: "Lets go find another one!"

:rolleyes:

We both laughed. I told him that I would never expect another one to drop, another Zod doesn't even exist for me.

He responded: "Kinda like Diablo 3?"

Good Times...

Last edited by IVI E G A T O N; 06-02-2011 at 10:26.

IncGamers Member

Re: Could it be?

That was quite an entertaining read. Congratulations on the Vex and Zod. It sounds like your cousin does not care or understand about powering his character with the best possible equipment. I sometimes wish I could play with that sort of enthusiasm. Not caring whether or not I squeeze out the last bit of possible damage I can. Sometimes being a fool to the possibilities can be a bliss. and a lot less stressing.

IncGamers Member

Kudos for the entertaining post.
    And grats with the zod + vex. Now go zod that phase blade

Well I guess zod + vex in the same run = BotD.

IncGamers Member

Nice story, congrats on the find

Grats on your Zod!

Now, if you really believed in fate, you'd make the botd in the next 6os thing that dropped....

Hilarious! Great post.

This definitely has the beginnings of a pretty cool mat/pat. It's the D2 equivalent of Roy Hobbs carving Wonderboy out a tree struck by lightning in The Natural.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

I love it, very entertaining, and an amazing find!

Congrats, and good luck on your new BoTD!

IncGamers Member

Congrats on the rune finds. Now I just wish some of that luck could come this way..

IncGamers Member

Unbelievable, which makes it all the more awesome that it actually happened, lol!

The random number generator seems to be in a "giveth" mood for you! Congrats!

I'd caution you not to take the sign and make eBOTD with it though. Fate is playing games with you - according to my calculations, there's no realistic scenario in which BoTD is better than grief, unfortunately / amusingly. Maybe a BotD bow? Throw it in a base speed 0 ethereal 5 range pole arm / spear and have a long-range high-power whirlwind barb (but 2x grief would still be better : /?).

I feel like the best use for Zod would be a crazy unique that spawned ethereal. Eth 5 socket rune master with Zod + Lo + Lo + Lo + Lo? Zod + Lem + Lem + Lem + Lem for the most hillarious gold find weapon this side of the missippi?

OK OK I'm going to stop fantasizing about spending your rune now. But that's seriously incredible, congrats!!

Quite an amusing read, I can imagine my younger sister who also plays Diablo with me sometimes would act in a way not unlike that of your cousin.

So that's how a Zod looks like in-game... :(