Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 LastLast

Re: The Exposure Tournament

I think they were added as an incentive to run a broader variety of targets (such as Duriel).

BattleTag kestegs-1550
    Quote Originally Posted by felixbavaria
    I think they were added as an incentive to run a broader variety of targets (such as Duriel).
    Andy and Duriel drop the same one, so still no reason to run him.

They just did it so we could have unlimited respecs, but at least have to do a bit of work to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    Andy and Duriel drop the same one, so still no reason to run him.
    OK, you see that I've never cared for running either of them

I guess I must have had a D2 burnout 18 months ago. Why else would I stop playing my favourite build, making good progress in Hell?

Can't tell you much about the trek through the jungle, as that happened 'back then'.

I suspected I had Arachnid Lair left, and that was indeed the case (it was unmapped when I entered). This was a good and somewhat forgiving 'warmup'. Nothing but spiders in there.

Next up, (gulp!), Swampy Pit. Gloams are not so bad for this build, as long as I have Fade going. At least they take a lot of damage from my fires. Had to use my prebuff claws a couple of times because Fade ended (I generally get Fade from Treachery, but I can cast level 8 Fade if I equip a set of claws I have in my stash). Still, there were two CE packs that troubled me a lot (Faith often relies on quick movements, she hates being chilled).

There were a couple of really bad Doll boss packs. This guy was the worst, and caused two NDEs and a lot of sweating. Even though Faith has well over 1300 life, at least it felt like this little terror had 2-hit-kill potential if the first hit Amped me. Heavy Mind Blast use, and retreats to town every I time the curse hit. Got one Meteor down but had to flee, and that fire was not enough to kill it. Managed to get a second Meteor down but had to back off and I was Amped again. But this time, I downed a purple and spammed Mind Blast to push the boss back into the flames.

Lower Kurast was no pushover, with those leapers being LI and with heavy fire resist.

Bazaar (the outdoor area) was easier, with swarms and both types of zealots. I used a lot of 3rd charge freezing on the Zakarumites to keep them from running away.

Ruined Temple welcomed me like this. Mind Blast was key here. There were two Teleportation Extra Strong spider boss packs in the temple, one FE and one LE. For the FE boss, I used two of its minions as tanks (MB conversion) and hit with a couple of lightning charges. Eventually, those killed one minion when they were back on the enemy team. I converted the other again, and took out the boss with a Death Sentry explosion of the minion corpse. The LE boss was more troublesome. Immune to fire and with very high lightning resistance, it took too long for Faith to 2nd charge down his life. It was that damn über poison Spider Maguses have. I gave up with PS and brought Fleshrender from my stash, ran back and forth in the hallway and BF-ed down its life.

I had two NDEs against Sarina's insanely fast pack. More than one of them was just impossible to tank safely, life drained like mad! Never actually had the time to get a look at the lady herself, but they must have been Extra Strong.

Ruined Temple really provided great fights this time - gotta love that!

As I have written in the thread earlier, this tourney format makes my character feel lonely. Faith tried to make some small talk in the Docks. She was envious (and curious) of Natalya's gear.

Conqueror Faith, dual claws Phoenix Striker, level 84, Hell Act III Sewers next

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

Good progress, those are some scary places. And Wow, the title "The Hammer" is sure fitting for an extra strong cursed spectral hit doll.

And the answer to the cool cloak is: D3.

No major troubles in the remaining four temples (no stairs trap with a boss) and not really any big trouble for the rest of Act III. I did not want to tank two of the Council bosses (Ismail and Geleb) so I used the central Travincal plaza barriers to keep them from getting to me, and used Blade Fury to kill them.

Mephisto was moat tricked and also Blade Fury-d. I now use Fleshrender instead of my 'Black' Maul as main BF weapon, I like the bleeding.

Act IV brought Venom Lords in the first two areas. Ugh. Hell Venom Lords are FI, have 75% lightning resistance and around 25000 life on players 3. It typically took Faith half a minute to kill one. I kid you not. Best method was to go cold-lightning-cold-lightning, etc. That kept them mostly frozen, which meant that much fewer healing potions were needed (Infernos did not do much but the damage from their melee hits added up if I used lightning full-time). Since I hit them so many times, it typically did not take long for the 10% OW on my belt to trigger. I had no problem taking on 2-3 Venom Lords at the same time becaused the ice shards usually froze all three, but that did not in any way shorten the total time I needed to fight them. Collateral cold + lightning damage was so small (compared to total life and regeneration) on the ones I did not actually hit with my claws. Once my target was dead, I had to start working down the next one from its full life.

Spawners and Burning Souls on the Plains. Both required some care, but handling those was a lot less tedious than killing Venom Lords. There was one spawner boss I could not tank safely, though. It had Fanaticism and Cursed => potentially major danger if a few pups spawned and mobbed me while I was tanking the boss. I drew this boss back to the bridge from the Steppes where I hoped I could tank it if all the little ones would eventually be stuck behind her. She kept spitting them out right at me, though. I had to flee.

When I had cleaned out the beasts, the boss suddenly decided to move towards me. Ah, nice, as long as she does not bump into anything, she won't breed, which means she is done for if I play my cards right. I led her to a long "corridor" of land without any holes or other obstacles, then I ran back and forth there about a dozen times.

Fighting Izual was the exact opposite of fighting Venom Lords. They are one of the hardest foes for Faith but she is perfectly suited to fight Izual. Stacked flames aplenty, and he died in less than 20 seconds. Sweet! And that was not even with the full FoF synergy - the reward points for killing Izual brought FoF to level 18.

River of Flame had Urdars, and they were a major pain. Their cold resist is so high that I did not have time to do anything else with Phoenix Strike while they were frozen. Cloak of Shadows was used a lot so they did not mob me and I only had to tank one at a time. That could be done, painful as it was. Then rain several fires on them. If they hit too often, I'd run small circles so they chased me in the flames and I could let healing from potions take effect. That's a problem for Faith, that the red potions aren't so powerful here in the late game. Super healers heal 480 points, which is only a little more than 1/3 of her max life. Full purples are of course fantastic but they are also in limited supply.

Hephasto had Conviction aura and spawned Extra Strong + Stone Skin. The latter meant he was hard to hit, which in turn meant I would need to tank him for far longer than I had purples for in this game. Also, some of those hits he scored took me below half life, so no, Blade Fury was the way to go. Problem was, there was no really good spot to park him. I used the central part of the river maze. As you can see, Burst of Speed made a rare guest appearance. As you all probably know, he gets faster the more damaged he is.

Mal rune from Hellforge. Faith's second Mal.

Chaos Sanctuary was actaully more straightforward than it usually is for me. With no summon or merc that wants to run to the enemies, I could separate and lure out enemies with more precision and less work than usual. Storm Casters were complete pushovers. ONE Meteor was enough to kill them. I just needed to keep them from running away while that Meteor burned, which could be done with CoS, with one 3rd charge freezing or simply by tanking them for 2-3 seconds. Doom Knights got the same treatment as the Venom Lords (cold-lightning-cold-lightning). The difference was that only 2-3 such cold-lightning cycles were enough and the freezing lasts longer. Oblivion Knights, once they were alone, were pushed (by walking up next to them) straight into a wall or corner, then killed by fire or lightning.

Fightning Diablo was much like fighting Izual, apart from Diablo's Firestorms. I had to sidestep two of them and drink potions, plus Diablo has much better blocking than Izual, so I whiffed more. It may have taken more time to kill him that it takes killing a Venom Lord, but not by much. Ha!

Conqueror Faith, dual claws Phoenix Striker, level 85, Hell Bloody Foothills next
    Last edited by jiansonz; 23-11-2013 at 15:15.

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    As you all probably know, he gets faster the more damaged he is.
    WHAT!? I never knew this...

@pharphis: you haven't fought him with a Blaze sorc?
    (yeah, I suppose it is much more common to have a character, merc or summon to tank him with)

Faith was in for a major challenge on Bloody Foothills: fire immune Quill Rats. She had to do countless town trips to refill her column of healing potions. Both their spike shots, their poison and their 'porcupine defense' (passive damage dealt when you hit them in melee) hurt and combined, it was very often too much to keep fighting. I eventually developed a decent routine to fight the regular ones, with a combo of CoS and 3rd charge freezing (usually both, with overlap in time). If I hit a frozen one, the passive defense still hurt, but that is at least not poisonous. During most of the Foothills, I played with antidote-boosted poison resistance. Having 40% resistance rather than -10% helped considerably.

Worst of all were two boss packs, one was CE Extra Strong Mana Burn and one Cursed (with minor other abilities). Those packs were tough to even get close to. If I cast CoS too far away from the pack, the back part of the pack wouldn't get affected by it, and you can't blind the boss anyway. I used Mind Blast a couple of times, so they would get a target they fired at while I could move in close enough to CoS more of them. I had to be very careful. When I eventually managed to face the bosses alone, they were not so bad. I used three purples in total, which I later in the playing session more than made up for with my finds.

The other monster type was much easier to handle. This setup (with the narrow path) was like shooting fish in a barrel. Lots of fire carpets and explosions followed.

Haven't decided what to do with the socket reward yet, but I think an Eth or two (or three - ATMA says that my NM socket reward has not been cashed in yet) in my claws would be nice. Does the -target defense on a secondary claw work when I hit with my primary? Not likely, huh?

Highlands was pretty easy with imps, fire archer ladies and Slingers. Abaddon also had imps, along with Balrogs and Horror Archers. These particular archers are the strongest in the game, doing both cold and poison damage. They are one of few enemies (along with Dolls, gloams, Frenzytaurs and Siren types) where even a single regular one needs to be taken seriously. I was met with a seriously threatening early boss pack of the archers. Yikes, Might for those archers, along with annoying Mana Burn and even more cold against my non-CBF character.

I decided to BF-kill that boss before taking on the pack. If you hit archers from a distance, they can suddenly fire at you from a larger distance as usual, for a short time. Every time I hit the boss, I tried to dodge his arrow and then I backed off. After 1-2 more shots, I could move in again and he would not fire until I hit him again. Success, and I managed to take out the others with Meteors, under cover of CoS. It still took several raids and retreats (with some Balrog interludes). Yeah, the Balrogs. Much easier than the Venom Lords in Act IV. Both lightning and cold resist must be much lower than what the Venom Lords have. EDIT: I checked it out on d2data.net - 33 lightning, 0 cold.

Plateau had Carvers (not FI, unlike all their relatives in Act I), lightning mages and Death Slashers. It was pretty much a cakewalk, as was Pit of Acheron (Balrogs, Salamanders and goatmen - with no boss). Thresh Socket was CE Extra Fast. That seemed scary to melee so I BF-ed him from across a fence.

Conqueror Faith, dual claws Phoenix Striker, level 86, Hell Crystalline Passage next

very nice progress!

A couple of more areas cleared, and the only real dangers have been two Champion packs. Faith is very much NOT good at tanking more than one hard-hitting enemy at the time. Blocking and hit recovery messes up her damage dealing. With boss packs, if I think that the boss is non-tankable, I can usually convert some minions to help with boss tanking the short time I need to get some damage going. Not so if I meet nothing but the Champs. Mind Blast can buy me a second or two to think, but it won't really solve anything. And if they are faster than me (spearwomen, Marauders) I am in trouble. Chilling Zeal Champ attacks is no fun to meet without CBF.

The spearwomen were in Frozen River. When I saw that one if them was a Berserker, I ran. Yikes. Back to a peninsula close to the entrance. I could not place the portal very well - it was simply cast as fast as I could. Lucked out, though. When I returned from the Crystalline Passage WP, they could see me when I approached the water, so down they went.

Faith's first Frenzytaurs on Hell difficulty showed up in Infernal Pit. Lightning immune, possible to freeze, and no boss pack => easy pickings. Stygian Doll blowdarters here as well. They are FI so they were fed with lightning. It was a lot of fun to fight them. 1-2 lightning shots were enough to kill them. Nice to see some foes just drop like flies. Third monster type here? Balrogs, once again.

The resist reward almost made my 10/17 Rainbow Ring of the Wolf obsolete, at least when Fade has triggered. I think I'll do some ring gambling now, hoping for something Platinum/Mammoth-ish. I have used my last two socket rewards to put an Eth in each claw.

Zombie garden up next. Scary for a lone character. I have a CoS/MB/burn plan that I hope will work.

Conqueror Faith, dual claws Phoenix Striker, level 86, Hell Nihlathak's Temple next
    Last edited by jiansonz; 23-11-2013 at 15:22.