Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Re: Hey Bookworm, What Are You READING?

you know, i started reading Sabriel back when i was a kid, but i stopped reading it because i think i had a certain amount of time to read it for school and i couldn't make the deadline. that or i was bored. icr....

dude, my bf and our roommate really enjoyed Hatchett too. i remember when i was in elementary school, all of the boys seemed to read that and just rave over it. it didn't interest me, but i'll take their word for it.

and haha, i thought you said "Robin HOOD" instead of "Robin HOBB". wow, im dyslexic!

Sabriel series is ok, as far as I remember. I used to be really into those kinds of *magic* books, I'm not quite sure how you'd call them O_o

I'm looking at D.H Lawrence The Ladybird right now, or I shall in a minute...

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Meh I never could get into Jordon's books but to me the Award for Greatest Fantasy Series that died with the author "right when he had started putting new volumes out again" will always be Chronicles of Amber By Roger Zelazny.

I've read everything he wrote and it's all good.

Just don't waste any time or money on the crap
    "The Dawn of Amber" prequel volumes that the estate hired a hack to write after he died.

I'm afraid Terry Pratchett is soon to be competing but I'm going to give him the Funnest Fantasy series Dead or Alive (Because I think "DEATH" is just declining to take him) Award instead in advance for the Discworld Series.

Both are in my reread as nothing good new is out cycle.

Currently the best ongoing Fantasy Series Award in my book is Stephen Bursts Dragonia Series.

Larry Niven still holds the Hard Sci-Fi Series Award stuff Title

Robert Heinlein owns the Dead Hard Sci-Fi series Award title with 3 three somewhat overlapping series.

and Spider Robinson gets the semi-hard funny Sci-Fi Award title for the Callahan's Series

Historical Sci-Fi Series Award has to go to Neal Stephenson for the The Baroque Cycle

Last edited by BobCox2; 18-09-2010 at 05:16.

Terry Pratchett's awesome although I don't enjoy his newer books so much which is probably a matter of taste.

I don't think Death will snatch him up so quickly, not even when he's fighting for legalisation of euthanasia (something I agree with as I will always want to be in control of my own life).

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    The day of the jackal is one of my fav's but I liked both the book and the movie.
    In fact the Movie get's pretty good reviews overall and the film closely follows the plot of the book.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069947/
    It does follow the book plot pretty good, yes. But what annoys me is the stupidity and lack of caution by the Jackal. It's like "I'll be extremely uncautious and hope they won't catch me", which isn't how it is in the book.

But I suppose I'm biased - I have yet to find a movie based on a book that I find better than the book. Forrest Gump is actually one of the better, though it doesn't follow the book plot very well.

BattleTag nurman-2854

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, consisting of three parts:
    Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
    Royal Assassin (1996)
    Assassin's Quest (1997)

I just love 'em!

Also there was a fantasy book that had little rodents as characters. I've forgotten the author but he had been a former boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by LorveN View Post
    It does follow the book plot pretty good, yes. But what annoys me is the stupidity and lack of caution by the Jackal. It's like "I'll be extremely uncautious and hope they won't catch me", which isn't how it is in the book.

But I suppose I'm biased - I have yet to find a movie based on a book that I find better than the book. Forrest Gump is actually one of the better, though it doesn't follow the book plot very well.
    Hogfather isn't better than the book but it follows the book very well indeed.

Ha, I saw someone mentioning 'A song of fire and ice'. Love it too

Truth be told though, I think there is a better fantasy series out there - The malazan book of the fallen. It's a hard one to get a grasp of in the beginning, but then you can't help but love it. It's ranked up there with Martin, Jordan and some others in my list of 'you just have to read them' fantasy series.

If Martin breaks the cliche, good ol' Steven Erikson just shatters it.

Cheers nurman on Hobb too. A very talented writer, too bad I can't buy the books here, they got sold out some years ago and the publisher is lazy to republish them :( If you haven't read, there is a new trilogy for Fitzchivalry, which is not bad either

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Historical Sci-Fi Series Award has to go to Neal Stephenson for the The Baroque Cycle
    I just got done with Quicksilver, so that's humorous. It was so much better than his previous "Frogs Fall From the Sky" books that were beginning to piss me off. Snow Crash gets way more praise than he deserves.
    If you guys enjoy Stephenson, you should be reading Gibson.
    Spook Country leads in to his newest novel that I'm looking forward to getting around to reading. >.>

I'm currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin and he is a better writer than I had anticipated. A pleasant surprise, for once.
    And I also have Bucky Works : Buckminster Fuller's Ideas for Today coming in the mail...I hope. Sometime this year would be nice, folks. That will tie in nicely with any Gibson story.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionOfStorm View Post
    It's ranked up there with Martin, Jordan and some others in my list of 'you just have to read them' fantasy series.
    And that's why I generally don't read/review fantasy. Because those books are, apparently, the best the genre has to offer.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Risingred View Post
    I just got done with Quicksilver, so that's humorous. It was so much better than his previous "Frogs Fall From the Sky" books that were beginning to piss me off. Snow Crash gets way more praise than he deserves.
    Not sure why that's humorous? But I will take that as agreement?

If you guys enjoy Stephenson, you should be reading Gibson.
    Spook Country leads in to his newest novel that I'm looking forward to getting around to reading. >.>
    I've read all the Gibson stuff including Zero History, ( I want one of those Plastic Ants )and I like it.
    Would give him the Cyperpunk Award but he pretty much defined the genre?

And that's why I generally don't read/review fantasy. Because those books are, apparently, the best the genre has to offer.
    God's No! ( ScionOfStorm's name should be a clue though )
    I've read some but they all blur together as He only seems to like one style but that's what they sell now and why I'm recommending reading widely.
    It's just all the current writers/publishers seem stuck in that mode as the taste of youths is easy to type...

Lot's of the old guys used to write both Sci-Fi and Fantasy back when they bother to stock and label them separately and could switch seamlessly from one type to another but with a variety of styles.

The Mouse books someone mentioned was the Redwall stuff I think? I was Meh on it when I tried but reminded me of Watership Down or JL Seagull, OK, just not my taste.

It's funny some writers use the language to evoke the fantasy and it's very subjective as to what does and does not work, Ursula K. Le Guin is a acknowledged master of it and I can't stand her stuff but I like Michael Moorcock and Stephen Burst (though that's really just A. Dumas redone) Go figure - perhaps it's sex based?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Hogfather isn't better than the book but it follows the book very well indeed.
    Agreed - have they done anymore like that? Caught it the last time I was in London and was blown away.
    I understand "Going Postal" is coming out but for my money they should do Weird Sisters and Witches Abroad.

He's really got a bunch of somewhat separate series mixed up in that crazy world.

Started with Rincewind and Twoflower and it was like every minor appearance in those books spun off a series of their own and it kept doing that.

One last note:

If you find yourself rereading it and discovering new insights you know you hit the payoff but if it leaves you flat you tend to downgrade the writer a bit (perhaps that's unfair but it's true), I loved Jim Butchers Dresden and Codex Alera books and can recommend them, but I'm going to trade them in at the local bookshop soon for example.

Just not any subtext I missed the first time through.

Last edited by BobCox2; 22-09-2010 at 05:48.