Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member Such Violent Storms's Avatar

Re: Hey Bookworm, What Are You READING?

Science is where it's at. I recommend these books

These books are intended to be read by a wide audience. I recommend starting with either of the first 2 books, the most common being Michio's for the science fiction fans.
    -People with hardly any knowledge of physics can read, understand, and be inspired by these books.
    -Likewise, people with a passion for science (like me) won't be disappointed by the content of these books -- they're the Goldilocks scenario of science writing.

Death By Black Hole

Fluently written by astrophysicist, NYC Hayden Planetarium direct, and generally amazing person Neil deGrasee Tyson in a style accessible to anyone. This book and its author (who is frequently a guest on The Colbert Report) is what sparked my interest in teh sciencez. It walks through all of the fantastic and awe-inspiring phenomena of the universe, from black holes to quasars, stars to supernovae, light to sub-atomic particles and quantum coolness.

Physics of the Impossible

Written by Michio Kaku, who also hosts a show on the science channel based off of his book. He shows how Star Trek and other science fiction concepts and ideas have an actual base in reality, and
    [He] writes in language designed to captivate nonscience readers, it's his references to pop culture—Star Trek to Terminator 3—that clarify his fringe physics.
    Michio dives into the science fiction universe, discussing how things previously thought possible only in Star Trek and the like (organized into Class 1, 2, and 3 Impossibilities ranging from invisibility, teleportation and forcefields to super-intelligent robots, phasers, and time travel) are in the not-too-distant future.
    Spoiler

The Elegant Universe

More advanced than the first two books. Brian Greene makes String Theory accessible to (almost) everyone. Honestly though, there were 2 or 3 parts I decided to skip over due to lack of interest/comprehension, but that's my problem... but don't let me belittle the book in any way -- the book is an excellent read, through and through, and causes the imagination to run wild.

IncGamers Member

Hmm.. Stephen Donaldson's writing style is indeed unique from the styles of other contemporary authors. For a preview of his writing style, you may want to visit his website and download the Chapter 1 excerpts.

Stephen Donaldson's Home Page
    Chapter 1 excerpt of the latest book

BattleTag What Me Worry?

He's a bit preachy if you ask me.
    should have stopped after book 3

IncGamers Member

I can agree on that comment. His first 3 books were amazing, the next 3 are decent reads but the circumstances he creates are starting to get repetitive, and with his new books I can't even get more than a few chapters in :(

Should have stopped after book 3, amen.

IncGamers Member

I read a lot. When I was younger, I'd sometimes read a book a day (not very social).
    My time is a little more spread out now... some weeks I'll read 3+ books, other times it will take me 3 weeks to read a book.

Right now I'm finishing the 3rd book of "The Hunger Games"... its ok, and I suppose I could recommend the first book in the series... not as good as any of the below though.

The below are some (I'm probably forgetting others) of my favorites:

REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD:

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Probably my top recommendation for lighter readers. (The books move along swiftly, are excellently written, aren't too horribly long, and are thoroughly enjoyable).

The wheel of time by Robert Jordan (its super long, but is super awesome. I wish it were longer.)
    This is tied or slightly ahead of the Dresden Files in my mind (totally different reading experience, totally different type of books, so hard to compare... both are really, really good). I'd highly recommend this to anyone who likes to read a lot. (The books range from 550-900 or so pages each, and there are 12 of them right now, with a 13th due in about a year.)
    Despite the length, I tend to finish these in a day or two (each) because they are so good I can't put them down. And I've reread many of the books multiple times (before another in the series comes out, I used to reread all the ones leading up to it... I didn't do that for the last few though--too little time). They are that good. (And you catch a lot more stuff on subsequent readthroughs)

Very good:

the name of the wind (book one in some series... the rest isn't out yet). I thought I wasn't going to like this one after the first few pages, but once I got about 20 pages in it picked up for me, and I couldn't put it down.

A song of ice and fire (recommend waiting til book 5 is out though... he's been working on it for like 6 years or something)

The Vlad Taltos Novels (and then AFTER reading at least, say, 4 of those, read "The Khaavren Romances" which are written in a much different style, similar to The Count of Monte Cristo, and take place several thousand years before the main novels. I think they would be VERY hard to enjoy if you don't know what is going on though, thus I suggest reading a few of the regular vlad taltos novels first)

The culture novels by Ian M. Banks.

Ender's game.

The harry potter books. Really, I know they are for kids, but I found them very enjoyable... (I'm 28 if that helps)

The Belgariad by David Eddings. (5 books)

The girl with the dragon tatoo & the other two books that follow it (though the 2nd one isn't as good as the 1st and 3rd, IMO)

Path of Destruction & the 2 follow ups (the first two were better than the last, IIRC, but all were good)

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

The Death Gate Cycle

Pretty good:

"The lies of locke lamora" book one of The Gentleman Bastards... haven't gotten around to the others yet, but this one was good. Not quite as good, for me, as the books above, but still pretty good.

Ender's shadow (The books containing Ender in them split into two series... one follows Ender as an adult, and is in a very different style. The first book in the second part of the split, Ender's Shadow, follows a character who was close to Ender. This second branch of books is in a similar style to Ender's game. I read all of them, but they weren't as good as Ender's game, thus I'm putting them down here. Ender's shadow was better than the others in this branch, IMO)

The Mallorian by David Eddings, and the other books following or preceding events from The Belgariad. (I found these to be not quite as good as the Belgariad)

The Chronicles of Amber (its been a while since I read it... not sure if it should be here or in the very good section...)

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Mistborn series (Brandon Sanderson)

Last edited by morik; 14-11-2010 at 19:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Conner MacDermott View Post
    Hi, SonataArctica.

Who is the author?

Thanks.
    The author is Anne Rice.

Her "Vampire Chronicles" are actually quite eloquent. Anne could describe a blade of grass and I'd be enthralled.

If you haven't read Interview with the Vampire, I would highly recommend it!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    With Jordan's death, I'm not sure it's going to come to a good end.
    They got Brandon Sanderson to finish them. All but the last in the series is done so far. I think he's done a very good job--the 11th book (the first one Sanderson did) was a very enjoyable read, and only felt just slightly off.
    I just read the 12th book about a week ago, and it was excellent--Sanderson has merged his style really well, and nothing felt off to me.

Note that Jordan knew he was dieing, and wrote down outlines of the story, what happens, and notes on everything important. So its not like Sanderson is making up the end--Jordan actually had parts of the books written already (it was supposed to be 1 more book, but had to be split into 3 cause there was too much stuff).

IncGamers Member

I saw this book, The Time Traveler's Wife, at a bookstore today. It was selling for a discount, but I'm not sure if it is good or not.

Has anyone read the book yet? How was it?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conner MacDermott View Post
    I saw this book, The Time Traveler's Wife, at a bookstore today. It was selling for a discount, but I'm not sure if it is good or not.

Has anyone read the book yet? How was it?
    My wife saw the movie... she says it was good, but sad. If that helps at all

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Oh - Everything By Robert Saywer.