Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Re: 1.09 Roll Call - Goals, Progress, Finds

It was a Frenzy Barb. I asked a billion n00b questions and relied heavily on advice from folks here to get him done, and he turned out to be a MF monster. My story's told in my 1.09 Sept post.

IncGamers Member

Quick update on my progression.

Finished act 1 in Hell. It was actually extremely easy. Monsters have clearly less hp than in 1.10+ and die quite instantly with p1. My build is actually finished now at lvl 71 (FO/FW/FM maxed) so the one thing about synergies is that it takes longer for your skills to kick in at full power. Sure, they get more powerful with synergies, but the monsters have more HPs throughout the way. So, at the start of Hell, I feel very powerful. I still want to cruise to Hell Mephisto for some running instead of going p3, though. Also, I got that smoke runeword (ran countess until Lum, nothing else notable dropped) and it really helped my resists a lot.

A couple of questions.

Does 1.09 Hell have a lot of dual immunes (FI/CI)? I could still max nova and put a couple points in LM, but I think it nova would be effective only after running Hell Baal/Cows, so it wouldn't really help questing. But I'm just thinking, am I better off putting points into misc skills like static, cold armor, teleport, mana shield or building up a lightning attack? I'm thinking that if it's just one or two bosses who have a chance of spawning FI/CI, then I might want to just static 'em and let the merc do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman View Post
    Quick update on my progression.

Finished act 1 in Hell. It was actually extremely easy. Monsters have clearly less hp than in 1.10+ and die quite instantly with p1. My build is actually finished now at lvl 71 (FO/FW/FM maxed) so the one thing about synergies is that it takes longer for your skills to kick in at full power. Sure, they get more powerful with synergies, but the monsters have more HPs throughout the way. So, at the start of Hell, I feel very powerful. I still want to cruise to Hell Mephisto for some running instead of going p3, though. Also, I got that smoke runeword (ran countess until Lum, nothing else notable dropped) and it really helped my resists a lot.

A couple of questions.

Does 1.09 Hell have a lot of dual immunes (FI/CI)? I could still max nova and put a couple points in LM, but I think it nova would be effective only after running Hell Baal/Cows, so it wouldn't really help questing. But I'm just thinking, am I better off putting points into misc skills like static, cold armor, teleport, mana shield or building up a lightning attack? I'm thinking that if it's just one or two bosses who have a chance of spawning FI/CI, then I might want to just static 'em and let the merc do the rest.
    Yes, plenty of dual immunes in Hell - very often PI is part of that because Stone Skin = PI in 1.09. The FI/CI type combo is kind of rare - I've only seen that in places like CS.

Interesting question - I can tell you that my MeteOrb did just fine with only Static as a lightning skill. You can get a nice cold armor or ES from Memory in a Staff with a desired staffmod. I did invest in Meteor for my Nova Sorc, but I didn't use it much.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the feedback on your MeteOrb. Now I'm thinking about maxing static field and using it on high player settings (2x static the screen before orb).

EDIT: Completed Hell Act 2 - still surprised how easy Hell difficulty is in 1.09 for an untwinked character (feels like 1.10+ NM, imo). Still a little bit further to get to mephisto. Also getting near my first completed SP character.

EDIT2: Reached Mephisto and ran him for two hours. Notable drops were IK maul and LoH. Some okay stuff, nothing I could personally use. No sign of Shako/Skin of Vipermagi :(

I modified the moat trick so it would work better for firewall. I don't think I'm the first one to have thought about that, but it works nicely. I just lure Mephisto to the red portal and cast firewalls under him. He moves just sideways, so firewall works wonders (better than other moat trick places). Sometimes getting him into the gateway to the red portal can be a little troublesome, but usually it's painless. This way I can have 192% MF on me, though I'm doing p1 because the additional health from p3 makes it very slow and I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited by mouseman; 17-03-2011 at 11:53.

I am too attached to the 1.10+ cube recipes, the partial set bonuses, the chance to find many more elite uniques and the better affix pool for rare weapons to ever want to play 1.09 again. Probably a few more things I do not remember.

But Iīd like to share my 1.09 history with anyone who is interested.

Coming into the Expansion, I had only played two characters in Classic v1.03:

* Bowazon (level 6 Multishot was main skill) that I completed Normal with, at level 24. I didnīt see the point in continuing to NM, since I had already beaten the game...

* A weird Sorceress that progressed mainly by using level 6 Ice Blast to freeze monsters, then hacking at them with a rare Poignard. Yeah, I was pretty clueless...:rolleyes:
    I retired her somewhere in mid-NM because the going was very slow.

* My first 1.09 character was Adriella, a Frozen Orb + Fire Wall Sorceress. Some decent investment in Static Field as well. I had now read up at least a little on character builds, and Adriella didnīt have much problems along the way. I was still an unexperienced player, of course, so (not surprisingly) there were a couple of deaths in NM and Hell.
    Adriella became my first Matriarch, at level 73, the final level of all my 1.09 chars.

I didnīt know you could change the players setting, and I had already decided that single pass full clear was the way I was going to play this game. I hated the fact that monsters had respawned when I started a new game. I still do. The Diablo 1 way (where everything is saved exactly as it is) is far superior for me.

Adriellaīs best find along the way was Harlequin Crest. Truly an amazing item for her.

* Second character was an Amazon named VenomousVixen. As the name suggests, she was a poison javazon. I actually do not remember if she had Lightning Fury available or not. I do remember that she invested a bit in Guided Arrow and had a bow on the switch. Eventually, she found an amazing bow for sale, a high-end Cruel Ward Bow of the Glacier. Got two sockets from Larzuk that I filled with skulls. This way, she got the mana steal needed for non-stop Piercing GA goodness. Very powerful in the late game, she was. (remember, it was players 1). Matriarch at level 73.

* Then there was the Necromancer Whaizzzzg. He was a weird hydrid that relied mainly on CE once the first corpse fell. He had a high level Bone Spear and a buff golem. I remember that returned damage was important (donīt remember if it was from Iron Maiden or from a Thorns merc). Patriarch at level 73. Damage return was actaully a viable build in 1.09.

* Fourth character was Surya the Assassin. I thought Phoenix Strike looked like a really cool skill (actually, Phoenix Striker is my favourite build these days) so I invested quite a bit in that. But when PS was at level 15, Tiamatīs Rebuke dropped somewhere in Nightmare. Surya never used Phoenix Strike again. It simply wasnīt needed. As a noob with melee builds, I was content to not having to bother with those charges and simply use Attack with a fast claw instead. I do not remember having much trouble making her a Matriarch, at level 73.
    Yes folks, this is how easy softcore 1.09 is on players 1!

(Sidenote: I still miss Tiamatīs for my 1.10+ grail...)

After Surya, I discovered the excitement of Hardcore mode, and never went back. Next post will be an overview of my 1.09 HC adventures. All but one ended with gruesome deaths...

Last edited by jiansonz; 23-03-2011 at 15:05.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on your MeteOrb. Now I'm thinking about maxing static field and using it on high player settings (2x static the screen before orb).

EDIT: Completed Hell Act 2 - still surprised how easy Hell difficulty is in 1.09 for an untwinked character (feels like 1.10+ NM, imo). Still a little bit further to get to mephisto. Also getting near my first completed SP character.

EDIT2: Reached Mephisto and ran him for two hours. Notable drops were IK maul and LoH. Some okay stuff, nothing I could personally use. No sign of Shako/Skin of Vipermagi :(

I modified the moat trick so it would work better for firewall. I don't think I'm the first one to have thought about that, but it works nicely. I just lure Mephisto to the red portal and cast firewalls under him. He moves just sideways, so firewall works wonders (better than other moat trick places). Sometimes getting him into the gateway to the red portal can be a little troublesome, but usually it's painless. This way I can have 192% MF on me, though I'm doing p1 because the additional health from p3 makes it very slow and I don't think it's worth it.
    I really didn't run Mephy much with a Sorc - I ran him mostly with the Barb, which involved jumping the moat and tanking him to death. A leechable Hell Mephy makes that a piece of cake for decent Barb.

Maxing SF isn't a horrible idea, especially if cows are in your plans, but keep in mind that the MP static bug only applies to uniques and bosses, not normal monsters. Still, moat-tricking Mephy with a wide static would be a very effective method for running him. You should pop it on P8 and try that out with your Sorc. Should work well with FW, even better if your Orbs can get to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    (Sidenote: I still miss Tiamatīs for my 1.10+ grail...)
    Quest-bugged 1.10a Hell Andy has already dropped several of those for me - I would try running her if you really want that. I never got a pair of Gore Rider in 1.09, but 1.10a Hell Andy also dropped a couple of those.

Sorry - double post.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyD View Post
    Quest-bugged 1.10a Hell Andy has already dropped several of those for me - I would try running her if you really want that.
    Itīs a single-pass grail, so no running. Like I said, I donīt like that the monsters respawn, so I simply pretend that they donīt.

I just hope to find it with some character someday - preferrably one that wants to use it. I have seen everything green or gold in that TC, and the TCs around it. Itīs just chance that it has eluded me so far.

(There is still a normal class item I havenīt seen yet - Umeīs Lament.)

IncGamers Member

Really nice story, Jiansonz, and surprisingly similar to mine (two failed classic characters, and somewhat succesfull 1.09 FW/Orb sorceress). I'm waiting for the second part of your journeys!

I tried to static Mephisto at p3 and it worked. Although my merc is too weak (meat scraper/rockstopper/rattlecage at lvl 73) to tank properly and I can tank him only with my regular gear on (MF 55%). Static Field would have to be really, really high level to be combined with moat trick. I estimate lvl 20+ (will test that, definitely). It would be an awesome way to level, if you hit Hell mephisto with enough range in SF and would moat trick / static him with p8. That would be fast and rewarding, both in items and in XP. Right now I'm doing the "red portal moat trick" with p1 and 192% MF.

I did Izual in A4 and noticed it's getting harder. I'd like to get some items from mephisto before continuing to Diablo and A5. I'm still using mostly crap, honestly. I estimate I have done about 70 runs, without getting anything I can use. Well, better luck tomorrow.

IncGamers Member

I think my earlier estimation about 70 runs was a bit low. I recorded some three hours of running and today I did 50 timed runs (95 secs average, so 1 hour 20min for 50 runs). So altogether I estimate I have done about 160 runs. Today I got Butcher's Pupil off of Mephisto, but it was the only drop worth mentioning. There's literally like 30 things I would love him to drop, with drop rates ranging from 1:300 to 1:3000, and not a single one of those items have dropped. Usually people just say that it's easy to get the basic items from Mephisto running him a couple of hours, but I think it requires more like a couple of days. And I don't like running him that much. I figured it would just be a quick item stop, but nooo he doesn't agree.

Yeah, I'm arguing with Mephisto. A lot. I think it's time to break up, soon.