Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: 1.09 Roll Call - Goals, Progress, Finds

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyD View Post

Sounds like you are doing well on your leveling. Might I suggest the Savage Polearm recipe for a starting weapon for your merc? I found that, apart from a Necro, a Sorc is more dependent on a merc than other characters, so paying attention to his longevity will ease your progress. I forget what your planned skills are, but if you are planning on FO, I'd suggest trying out some of the cold prereqs (and picking up all Orbs to see if any provide some useful staffmods) to let your merc have some room to work. At level 24, Meteor becomes available, which works very well with a tank-capable merc - let him engage a group, and start dropping meteors.

I would not pump Warmth too much more - even untwinked, you should be able to find some things that give you a nice bump to mana (Orbs, Ammys, Rings, Charms), so focusing on getting your merc durable will provide better dividends.
    Thanks for some tips.

I'm going FW/FO and using static to speed things up (no meteor for me). I already have FW and I can freeze things with glacial spike. I usually freeze things and drop a Fire Wall where they stand. It just requires a lot of mana. With lower player setting I could tank monsters myself and so could my merc. I just find it to be a tall order for my untwinked merc to tank monsters with p8. Especially when I have to level him first. But I'll try to run gem shrines for that diamond and try that savage recipe - can that spawn with a life leech mod, too? What A2 merc do you recommend?

I don't want to cave and use lower player settings, though. I'm just dreaming about Frozen Orb..

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by NakedAssassin View Post
    New goals are:
    1) quest in 5 and level along the way
    2) ancients
    3) baal
    4) nm andy
    5) nm act 2 might merc
    6) farm nm countess
    7) normal cows
    Finished all quests and got all WPs in Act5. Anya gave a spear, was really hoping for a bow. Killed Ancients at 39 and got 1 level from it. Did Baal runs to 45 killing from WP on WK2 through waves, leaving Lister and Baal.
    Finally killed Lister and then Baal. Lister was harder I think. I had to TP out of throne room once during Baal fight.

I don't want to turn this into the 'worst weapon you ever killed Baal with thread', but my bow has to be up there as one of the worst to be used by someone who relied on its damage. I'll try to screenshot it later.

Only significant usable drop since my last post - Chance Guards(35). I was pleased with that roll.

I'm tooling around in NM now, through Black Marsh. Quested NM Countess was Sol. 4 subsequent trips yielded nothing special. Going for Andy tonight, so I can have NM Act 2 Merc. My MF is 207%.

Norm cows proved worthless for Exp, although it is a good place to stop through for potions and gems. I can't kill fast enough on p8 to make it worth it, and p3 isn't enough exp. I still lack a source of Knockback, and that is killing the merc too often. I am thinking of crafted gloves, going to look up the recipe now. I seem to remember Orts and pSaphs, so I have not been cubing my Orts. I think I have 8 now. I also have the creeping feeling that I should have been stashing away crap jewels too.

Still sad about the gear dependency. I know its early for me to be in NM etc, but with one change in gear (Buriza) I could kill anything I wanted. Still hoping for Manald, but I'd also take Cathan's ring. Going to research gambling too because I never got into that.

RobbyD - Still reading your Vex thread, good luck. Ist is a nice consolation prize though.

Mouseman - update on the Sorc?

@mouseman: Yes, I think it can spawn with life leech too. For your merc selection, you can probably go with Blessed Aim (Off) first to help hit with that bow, and then once you get to 30 for Orb, go back and get a Prayer (Com) merc - yeah, you'll have to level him again, but it will likely be worth it for the mana regen he will provide.

@NakedAssassin: Grats on your Slayer! I never tried a Bowazon untwinked, so I didn't encounter the kinds of challenges you are running into. I will concur that a Burrito makes an unbelievable difference, but even a GSA or LA will help your gal out tremendously.

I look forward to seeing your epic Slayer Bow. You should have Anya personalize that!

Now that you're able to run NM Countess, check those racks and see what items and socket rolls you are getting - NM Countess is level 44, so the levels are likely 38-41 - that may be just a little low for the maximum sockets, but maybe the TC bug impacts the item selection from racks. If you find a Yari, Bill or Lochaber Axe rack, run that for Hone, Hwnanin's, or MS for your merc. Racks don't drop bows in my experience, but you can definitely find some sweet merc gear. Running Countess with 207 MF should end up with a nice upgrade for your bow as well. Countess is the best source outside of Act Bosses for S/U drops as far as frequency goes. If my understanding of the TC bug is right, I bet she can drop you a Matriarchal Bow - I know Hell Countess drops those with regularity.

Thanks for your interest in my Vex thread. Luckily, after racking that HoZ, I can retire my Pally from Countess duties (he's faster than the other runners, but now that I've gotten used to teleporting with my Sorc, there is just no comparison), which has sped up my runtime. I'm seriously thinking of rerolling her map for something faster, but I've also got that Nova sorc in Normal Cold Plains running Coldcrow. She's level 17 - I'm thinking of running CC to 18, at which point the Sorc can give the Envy LB to the merc and pick up the 6xpE Long Battle Bow for some serious bugged poison pwnage.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman View Post
    But I'll try to run gem shrines for that diamond and try that savage recipe
    IIRC that is (any) diamond...

Some more detail on progress and plans for GIEB_VEX, my twinked-to-high-heaven Nova Sorc. She is, after all, my current 1.09 char in devt. As mentioned before, she is level 17, but I have not mentioned that she has exactly 1 WP - the Cold Plains. She's been exclusively running Coldcrow for Hand of Broc and Torch of Iro - she got 2x HoB, no ToI. Some other TC3s I already had as well (I have more Felloaks than you can shake a stick at... heh heh - get it - shake a stick at the sticks?). My MeteOrb found a Sparking GC of Sust (35), so that's Sparker #6 and the sweetest one waiting for this character to take advatage of.

Gear has been: Arctic belt + gloves (chosen over Death's for the MF bonus), Angelic Armor + ammy + 2 rings, Cow King's Hooves, perfect Tarnhelm, and that Envy Long Bow. I've noticed that the DR 3 of the Angelic Armor basically removes all physical damage from monsters at this level, even Fana boss packs (I never realized you see Fana from the start of the game before). Sparks and CE death novas do move the bulb a little though.

Merc is currently wearing eth Greyform, eth Tarnhelm (with the 1 skill bug of all fire arrows now), and the Envy Short Bow.

So here's the deal - at level 18, GIEB_VEX wil be able to wield a weapon I made for the Sin I patted recently - the 6 pEmerald Long Battle Bow - it has some relatively stiff reqs, but I think (with the CK boots) she won't have trouble meeting the reqs. That means she can give the Envy Long Bow to the Merc and carry on through Act 1, so I'll probably run ColdCrow for 1 more level, and then move on to development (ToI or no ToI). Death's will replace Arctic for belt + glove.

The Pally achieved all his racking goals (35@Skin from Serpentskin rack, HoZ from Gilded Shield rack), so he will rest a little bit. After tasting Sorc 'porting for runs, I don't think I'll run Countess with any other character now.

I stumbled into a neat trick with my MeteOrb - she's always had a throwaway weapon switch, so I started experimenting with leveraging her +skills with spells to cast on weapon switch. I tried ES from a Warpspear, but was unimpressed with it. Then I started picking up random staves and orbs - well, I found one with +3 Chilling Armor. Now that is a skill I LIKE for Countess running. Archers in 1.09 are not the danger they are in 1.10+, but they are still an irritant, especially when they spawn with Goatment in the Countess' chamber. Well, in addition to the defense bump, this skill retaliates to ranged attacks with ice bolts... and in 1.09, with pumped CM, that actually can take out the Archers! For a free experiment for a quick pre-run cast, I like it a lot. If for no other reason, because it's fun to see.

BattleTag kestegs-1550

Very cool, I love the fact that you are level 17 at the cold plains. That is a fun staff, I would still love to find a +3 ES and +3 cold armor staff with 4os, but that is a real shot in the dark, as ES is hard enough to find on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    Very cool, I love the fact that you are level 17 at the cold plains. That is a fun staff, I would still love to find a +3 ES and +3 cold armor staff with 4os, but that is a real shot in the dark, as ES is hard enough to find on it's own.
    I can't tell you how glad I am that you posted that - I just did a quick review of my socket staves and found this:

Code:
    Gothic Staff
    Two-Hand Damage: 14 to 34
    Durability: 36 of 40
    Required Strength: 25
    Required Level: 25
    Staff Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 74
    Fingerprint: 0xc2aaf7d6
    +1 to Blizzard (Sorceress Only)
    +2 to Chilling Armor (Sorceress Only)
    +2 to Energy Shield (Sorceress Only)
    150% Damage to Undead
    Socketed (4: 0 used)
    Not ULTIMATE, but certainly deserving of a Lum (since I've lost count of how many I have).

Looks like she'll be making Memory tonight.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyD View Post
    @NakedAssassin: Grats on your Slayer! I never tried a Bowazon untwinked, so I didn't encounter the kinds of challenges you are running into. I will concur that a Burrito makes an unbelievable difference, but even a GSA or LA will help your gal out tremendously.

I look forward to seeing your epic Slayer Bow. You should have Anya personalize that!

Now that you're able to run NM Countess, check those racks and see what items and socket rolls you are getting - NM Countess is level 44, so the levels are likely 38-41 - that may be just a little low for the maximum sockets, but maybe the TC bug impacts the item selection from racks. If you find a Yari, Bill or Lochaber Axe rack, run that for Hone, Hwnanin's, or MS for your merc. Racks don't drop bows in my experience, but you can definitely find some sweet merc gear. Running Countess with 207 MF should end up with a nice upgrade for your bow as well. Countess is the best source outside of Act Bosses for S/U drops as far as frequency goes. If my understanding of the TC bug is right, I bet she can drop you a Matriarchal Bow - I know Hell Countess drops those with regularity.
    I have researched what I could (alot of the links on this site and others link to other websites that have gone 404 in the last five years), but still find the need to ask these related questions:

1) Rack running = hitting the same rack over and over with roughly the same path in the dungeon taken and killing the same mobs along the way each time? Rack should always drop from the same item type of varying quality?

If the above is true, that is what I am doing. There are 3 racks I hit every time on the way to Countess. One is throwing axe, can't remember the other 2, I think one is leather armor. If this is the case does that mean that I should expect the rack to eventually drop Vidala's or Blinkbat? Not that I want either, just looking for the concept. If one of the items is Voulge, it will eventually drop with max sockets for that level?

2) ilvl, mlvl, and TC. I can't remember back far enough when I knew all of the formulas. I don't need all of this spelled out, but I would like to know if there is a source for this info you prefer. What I am looking for specifically is that 'mobs that have a mlvl = y can drop an item with ilvl = z that is in TC = x'. (all things being equal and that you aren't level 60 when you kill a level 85 mob, etc).

3) version 1.09b vs. 1.09d. I downloaded what was labeled everywhere as a 1.09d file. How can I be sure? Release date on the executable or something?

4) NM Countess bugged TC66 drops. Having trouble finding detail. I am going to start logging everything that she drops until I find something that is definitely higher than her intended NM TC. For example, lets say her unbugged NM TC should be TC=44, I'm just going to document until I can be positive that she is dropping things for me higher than TC44. Last thing I want to do is run her 100 times with the unbugged TC.

5) exact syntax for players8. I have been using exactly that, 'players8', without the single quotes. no slash, no spaces. I know this syntax varies based on version but everything I could read said that 1.09 = 'players8', and that 1.09 is one of the only places that 'players64' works. It seems to. Confirm please?

Thank you!

FYI - I started in the 1.07 v 1.09 thread, moved on to the 1.09 guide and then the rest of the interwebs. I guess I'm just looking for the fact that alot of the stuff written back in 1997 is still true.

Last edited by NakedAssassin; 07-02-2011 at 20:43.

I have researched what I could (alot of the links on this site and others link to other websites that have gone 404 in the last five years), but still find the need to ask these related questions:

1) Rack running = hitting the same rack over and over with roughly the same path in the dungeon taken and killing the same mobs along the way each time? Rack should always drop from the same item type of varying quality?

If the above is true, that is what I am doing. There are 3 racks I hit every time on the way to Countess. One is throwing axe, can't remember the other 2, I think one is leather armor. If this is the case does that mean that I should expect the rack to eventually drop Vidala's or Blinkbat? Not that I want either, just looking for the concept. If one of the items is Voulge, it will eventually drop with max sockets for that level?
    Yes, your understanding is correct. I'll give you an example - my Barb (my original Countess runner) has a Bill/Chaos Armor combo in his Tower 2 map. That has produced a number of Hwanin's Justice Bills, the unique Bill (I forget the name), Black Hades and Trang Oul's armors. Also all available sockets, and many ethereal selections. But you have to be patient - socketed versions actually pop very often, but the S/U selections are very low probability.

Ways to alter the selections are to reverse the order, and also try a detour on the way if you have one. I didn't notice the Highland Blade/Gilded Shield combo on my Pally's map until I took a detour into a side room before hitting them one time. Now I'm a HoZ richer.

2) ilvl, mlvl, and TC. I can't remember back far enough when I knew all of the formulas. I don't need all of this spelled out, but I would like to know if there is a source for this info you prefer. What I am looking for specifically is that 'mobs that have a mlvl = y can drop an item with ilvl = z that is in TC = x'. (all things being equal and that you aren't level 60 when you kill a level 85 mob, etc).
    I find the wiki associeted with this site to be quite good - shows all the socket/level stats for various items and the qlvl of all the S/Us.

3) version 1.09b vs. 1.09d. I downloaded what was labeled everywhere as a 1.09d file. How can I be sure? Release date on the executable or something?
    I wasn't sure for the longest time since I didn't know any of this when I first got the patch, but probably the easiest (which addresses your question #5) would be to set the player setting to 32 or so and see if you notice a difference. If the monsters all become impossible to kill, you have 1.09b. If there is no difference, it's 1.09d. Check it against Players8 to verify that you can see the difference.

4) NM Countess bugged TC66 drops. Having trouble finding detail. I am going to start logging everything that she drops until I find something that is definitely higher than her intended NM TC. For example, lets say her unbugged NM TC should be TC=44, I'm just going to document until I can be positive that she is dropping things for me higher than TC44. Last thing I want to do is run her 100 times with the unbugged TC.
    Basically, you can expect things like Sacred Targes, Legend Swords, etc. to be able to fall from NM Countess - the ultimate example is LoH - low qlvl on a high TC item. Don't expect a "Shako (Harly)", but you can get shakos. You won't get Uniques she's not supposed to drop (due to qlvl), but you can get blue/yellow versions of elite items from her. The whole area might be bugged as well - I think the Smith and Griswold are similarly bugged.

5) exact syntax for players8. I have been using exactly that, 'players8', without the single quotes. no slash, no spaces. I know this syntax varies based on version but everything I could read said that 1.09 = 'players8', and that 1.09 is one of the only places that 'players64' works. It seems to. Confirm please?
    I use "Players8", but I think "Players 8" also works.

BattleTag TheNix-6417

If you open your patch.txt it'll say whether you have 1.09b or 1.09d. As RobbyD said, 1.09b can go up to players64, type it in and see how long it takes to kill something.