Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Re: PvM 1.13 ExplosionMancer guide

Hm, one could theoretically shop for a white/grey wand with both Bone Spear and Corpse Explosion, but it could never get Decrepify or Attract. Might take a while too, since there's only a 30% chance of getting two skills or more, and then there's a 10% chance of getting -2 tier (for Corpse Explosion) and a 20% chance to get +1 tier (for Bone Spear). For a third skill I guess the best you could hope for would be Summon Resist, since that would save a skill point. And finally 10% chance to get +3 to a skill. Looks like an eternity of shopping to me, even disregarding the chance that the game picks the right skills in each tier, so I'll just see what drops now that I know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman View Post
    @Gillsing: That's a good workaround for the lvl 1-17 "weakness" - though I'm not sure if you'll be able to kill normal Duriel without reaching lvl 18 with that solution?
    Well, I'm usually lvl 18+ by the time I take on Andariel, so that wouldn't be a problem. My 'strength' would be that I basically do a full clear of each act before proceeding to the next. I guess that's not very strong at all compared to someone who kills Duriel before lvl 18. I doubt that I could even reach Duriel before turning 18 from all the monsters that I'd kill while looking for the next area in the two first acts. Maybe I should try that sometime.

IncGamers Member

I had this guy way back in early 1.10.........Corpse_Kracker. Corpse Explosion is brilliant for pvm... I think I had around level 48 CE and spear. Although with enough plus to skills 20 CE is still unnecessary for most areas but really shines in cows.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by RealmOftheWolf View Post
    I had this guy way back in early 1.10.........Corpse_Kracker. Corpse Explosion is brilliant for pvm... I think I had around level 48 CE and spear. Although with enough plus to skills 20 CE is still unnecessary for most areas but really shines in cows.
    CE breaches walls, so it's fantastic anywhere there's a concentration of enemies, especially in caves/tombs etc. The higher the CE the greater the radius and since it goes through walls its effectiveness doesn't really wane.
    So I think the higher it is the better, regardless of where you are (exceptions possibly include large open areas with fewer monsters).

IncGamers Member

Enjoying this char atm, he's just killed normal Baal at level 42 (for Homu) and it's all been pretty good so far. Finally mf'd a viper for him (my Hdin was wearing my only un-upped one), so i'm hoping NM will be a walk in the park now.

Decided to max skills in this order:
    1 in all 1 pointers
    20 to Bone Wall
    20 to Bone Prison
    20 to CE
    20 to Bone Spear

to keep the mana of spear down and to make me more safe, ok-ish +skills keep CE fairly decent, with a decent BSpear killing an extra mob isn't too much trouble.

IncGamers Member

Interesting discussion. It goes to show that best ideas often arise from brainstorming together.

@ MYK & XCodes: +3 CE, +3 BS, +1 decrep OR +1 attract wand would certainly be awesome for this build. I'm a firm believer that your CE can NEVER be big enough (and that's why it's cool you get +1 to CE from magefists ) That's because how D2 calculates your CE radius as actually diameter. That means it's radius is actually only half of what it says.

If you take a look at this picture you will see that lvl 43 CE of radius 16,6 actually manages to cover the area of little over 8 radius in that picture.

Why don't we recognize this? We aren't usually blowing up stuff at our feet trying to damage monsters all around us. We are usually going forward and trying to blow up monsters between us and the side of the screen we are advancing. Thus we are usually able to damage all the monsters visible and we use the expression "clearing the whole screen".

So if you take into account a very big radius CE and the fact that you are usually blowing stuff up at the edge of your screen, you will kill a lot monsters off-screen. This is why you should always try to max your CE, because you will kill a lot of monsters off-screen, too. Most people don't take this into account.

So yes, I'd probably switch out my +3 BS, +1 attract, +1 decreptify wand for a +3 BS, +3 CE, +1 attract/decreptify wand. While the skill point save is equal (3 points saved with +1 attract/decreptify and +3 CE) we have to consider that we simply can't put the skill points saved from curses to CE, because it's already maxed. They go to teeth to boost your BS. So actually it's something like this: do you want ~160 more damage on average to your BS or 1 more radius to your CE (according to a skill calculator)? Choice is yours, but really it's just a theoretical debate since I think all of us would just take any of those two wands if they could find or trade one.

Or did I undestand correctly that you can't get +BS, +CE and +attract/decreptify on the same wand? If that's the case the above isn't correct (or you would have to sacrifice even more BS damage for the additional CE radius).

@ Shanksie1337: Nice to know someone is trying it out and happy to hear you are liking it!

About the order in which to max skills.. I'd pump Bone Prison to max as soon as I'd get it. It gives you safety in form of Bone Armor but also in itself - Bone Prison will really help you early on (while Bone Wall lacks the same "jailkeeping" capability). And as you said it, it will also boost your BS damage without making you spend more mana.

After that, however, I'm not so sure there's one right way. It really depends on your mana situation. With a lot of +mana after skill equipment (and rest of the mana friendly equipment I described at "cheap gear" section) you'd have no mana problems maxing CE and BS next.

But keep in mind that maxing BS last isn't the answer to your mana problems, as you are (hopefully) killing 95% of the monsters with your CE. So CE is your real mana burner. But with enough +maek gear you will actually gain mana by blowing things up Or just get a insight merc early on?

I'm also making a small video to go with the guide. I'll post it later today.

EDIT: Here it is! Hopefully you'll see things like how attract works, how sturdy he is, how much he regenerates from prayer etc.

Youtube link

They will probably take away the music pretty fast so you can play the music from the video I uploaded for dailymotion

Last edited by mouseman; 05-07-2010 at 10:03.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by mouseman View Post
    Or did I undestand correctly that you can't get +BS, +CE and +attract/decreptify on the same wand? If that's the case the above isn't correct (or you would have to sacrifice even more BS damage for the additional CE radius).
    Since we just want it white and not rare/magic/etc. it is possible. You'll likely have to run either act 4 normal or late act 3 normal for the best chances to find one.

Yup. According to the wiki, the wand would have to be ilvl 25-36, and Drognan's wands are capped at ilvl 20. Definitely not something I'd go looking for on purpose, given the incredibly specific mods.

IncGamers Member

Well, if you strip off all your MF gear and run around areas with levels in the low 30's, you might find some other stuff with interesting staffmods as well.

There are a lot of wands that you can stick White in for some high-end gear. +3 to Bone Spear, Bone Spirit, Poison Nova, and/or Bone Prison can be used for a serious damage boost to said skills, and actually ranks really high for the best Bone Necro wands. If it also has a +1 or more to Attract, Decrepify, Life Tap, and/or Lower Resist then you've got some utility applications for it as well.

You can also get Staves with +3 ES and maybe +3 to an Armor spell for pre-buffing with Memory or +3 Enchant and +3 Fire Mastery for pre-buffing with Memory or Leaf.

Finally, I'm sure there are some applications for Scepters with +3 Concentrate and +3 BH. Passion users might not care about physical damage and won't mind using a normal scepter with +3 Zeal built-in for their RW. Paladins might also like to save the 5 skill points it takes to get Redemption and carry around a scepter with +X to the skill on switch.

Nice guide, nice to see it revised... good to see a full well thought out explanation on why max ce is so important. I've personally been playing this build for about 6 months or so on SP, it's alot of fun... i really love MFing chaos sanc with this char (gathering up 50 to 60 mobs and watching them die at once is fun ).

I never thought of getting and useing for that matter the attract curse, i useually just use my 1 point DV to lock out archers while im getting the first corpse or two down, looks like im going to be shopping around for a new wand with attract on it. My white wand has +3BS +1decrep +2necro skills (got lucky on it dropping in lvl1 WSK in normal), i like it because it in essences gives me +2 to CE and +5 BS, but if i could get lucky enough to roll one with attract also that would be really nice... however not very likely, wishful thinking i guess.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeape View Post
    My white wand has +3BS +1decrep +2necro skills (got lucky on it dropping in lvl1 WSK in normal), i like it because it in essences gives me +2 to CE and +5 BS, but if i could get lucky enough to roll one with attract also that would be really nice... however not very likely, wishful thinking i guess.
    White wands don't have +necro skills. White is a runeword specifically for wands that adds a lot of bonuses to PnB skills along with a monster +4 bonus to Skeleton Mastery, all stacking with existing staffmods on the wand.