Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 55 of 186 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Risingred View Post
    Oh and since we're talking about exercise and things that are pointless and stupid, how about 99% of the exercise equipment that is made?

It is a ridiculous market. I went shopping for something the other day because my belly is getting a bit soft and I just stood there in the store thinking "I am not qualified to make this decision".
    Alot of exercise equipment (referring to machines mostly) is garbage. They only give you a limited range of motion and don't allow you to really strengthen your stabilizer muscles. Whereas using freeweights or dumbells forces you to.

Quote Originally Posted by SnickerSnack View Post
    Anyone else see the contradiction here?

I agree with your point. I once lost 30 lbs in a single month on diet alone. It was easy, too. All I did was drink water constantly (in excess of a gallon each day) and only eat when I was hungry.
    What I meant was losing 30lbs prior to beginning bodybuilding, it was more or less my motivation.

Drinking lots of water is good, but I don't know if I'd do the "only eating when you're hungry" route. Although the warrior diet (1 meal per day, small snacks of fruits/nuts before/after the meal if needed) has been proven to work. Although just because something works doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy. I just like eating too much to only eat once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaigon View Post
    Alot of exercise equipment (referring to machines mostly) is garbage. They only give you a limited range of motion and don't allow you to really strengthen your stabilizer muscles. Whereas using freeweights or dumbells forces you to.
    Makes sense. I was considering medicine balls and other types of weights that you just attach to your body in certain places but they didn't seem heavy enough.
    Dunno. I was taught during basic training that all you really need to exercise is a surface with a right angle and the machine that is your body.

But I don't have the time or energy for that type of exercise anymore. And it made my neck look like a swollen sausage.

Machines (well-made ones) aren't garbage if you use them as they are intended for: definition in specific areas. Free weights and body weight are by far the best ways to strengthen and bulk up but don't usually give very good muscle definition. The limited range of motion a machine forces you to do is very, very good if you are looking to sculpt a particular part of your body. All major body builders utilize machines to really carve out their weaknesses.

I mostly do free weights but there are a few machines I frequent:

-seated calf raise: my thighs are big enough but my calves need work, especially since they are a "glamor" muscle.
    -seated row: my upper back needs definition, not mass currently. These are really good to pump up the back after pendlay rows.
    -cable crossover machine: again, it's for pumping up a muscle group (pecs) after a major lift (usually a series of inclined dumbbell press).

Using only machines tends to be a very bad idea. You often see girls on them because they are easier and they have the misconception that using free weights will make them bulky or muscular, which is simply not true.

As far as abs are concerned I'd recommend doing reverse sit-ups to build ab strength, then go with the P90X program's "Ab Ripper" for definition after you can easily do 3x20 of the reverse sit ups in under 6 minutes. For other general exercises all you need are two chairs, your body, a pull-up bar, and maybe a set of changeable dumbbells.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOgreMan View Post
    As far as abs are concerned I'd recommend doing reverse sit-ups to build ab strength, then go with the P90X program's "Ab Ripper" for definition after you can easily do 3x20 of the reverse sit ups in under 6 minutes. For other general exercises all you need are two chairs, your body, a pull-up bar, and maybe a set of changeable dumbbells.
    Is a "reverse sit-up" exactly what it sounds like? Because I have a bad back and that sounds extremely painful.

Nicht einmal der Tod kann Sie von Knippers speichern.

It is a dated term that isn't used much anymore. I'm sure most dictionaries wouldn't have them, even the ones that encompass slang and all of their variants. I could list a variety of words that you wouldn't find in any dictionary but were commonly used in the United States. More so in the UK.
    German equivalents for "Knipper" would be something like Stöpsel, Dreikäsehoch, or Steppke.

It is sometimes spelled "nipper" where "to nip" is to nibble at something. So a nipper is one who nibbles, and a kid is also known as an ankle-biter if that helps you.

The dictionary you use tends to be a bit biased towards UK dialect(s).

And -1 for Zimmertür.
    Having watched Detective Conan on RTL II I'm familiar with the term Dreikäsehoch. Thanks for that. Wouldn't it be the same as nipper, I wonder?
    The only American dictionary I have is an old MacMillan Visual Dictionary. It's handy, though it isn't as it is also extremely heavy.

Forgot to be cranky. *sneezes*

The stuff you get on tellsell tv. Most of it is utterly pointless and futile.
    Who would want to rub snailgoo on their face (or anywhere else)?
    I'm sure the Aah-bra is called that way because when a bloke lifts your shirt and sees it he goes AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! and runs off, frightened.
    These strange kitchen machines that can only chop tiny bits into too large chunks but will take up most of your cupboard.
    Mr T going bonkers over a cooking device.

Honestly, the things you see when you are up late at night due to insomnia....

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Forgot to be cranky. *sneezes*

The stuff you get on tellsell tv. Most of it is utterly pointless and futile.
    Who would want to rub snailgoo on their face (or anywhere else)?
    I'm sure the Aah-bra is called that way because when a bloke lifts your shirt and sees it he goes AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! and runs off, frightened.
    These strange kitchen machines that can only chop tiny bits into too large chunks but will take up most of your cupboard.
    Mr T going bonkers over a cooking device.

Honestly, the things you see when you are up late at night due to insomnia....
    I haven't a clue what you're talking about, except the last one. I have indeed seen Mr T. pitch his cooker device. I DVR'ed it the first time, thinking it was a one-time event, but then saw that it airs daily at the same time. I love the way he pronounces his words.

I pity the fool who doesn't buy Mr. T's Flavorwave Oven.

Is a "reverse sit-up" exactly what it sounds like? Because I have a bad back and that sounds extremely painful.
    No, it isn't what it sounds like. A reverse sit-up is much better for your neck and back than a conventional sit-up.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-do-...it-Up-27032033

This video shows a guy doing one on the ground; I much prefer using a bench to do it.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheOgreMan View Post
    Machines (well-made ones) aren't garbage if you use them as they are intended for: definition in specific areas. Free weights and body weight are by far the best ways to strengthen and bulk up but don't usually give very good muscle definition. The limited range of motion a machine forces you to do is very, very good if you are looking to sculpt a particular part of your body. All major body builders utilize machines to really carve out their weaknesses.

I mostly do free weights but there are a few machines I frequent:

-seated calf raise: my thighs are big enough but my calves need work, especially since they are a "glamor" muscle.
    -seated row: my upper back needs definition, not mass currently. These are really good to pump up the back after pendlay rows.
    -cable crossover machine: again, it's for pumping up a muscle group (pecs) after a major lift (usually a series of inclined dumbbell press).

Using only machines tends to be a very bad idea. You often see girls on them because they are easier and they have the misconception that using free weights will make them bulky or muscular, which is simply not true.

Muscle definition is generally just a matter of low body fat. You can have a super buff guy who is say 20% bodyfat, who shows "mass" but not much "definition". Take the same guy and put him down to 8-10% bodyfat and you will see all the muscle definition that was hidden by bodyfat.

I agree machines can be useful for working specific muscles, but I would not depend solely on them for the reason stated in my previous post. If you want to train a specific part of a muscle (lower/upper pecs, rear delts, etc) machines can be a great option.

There are tons of ab exercises you can do...bicyles, leg lifts, vertical leg crunches, planks, etc. But again having visible abs is just a matter of low bodyfat.

BattleTag mordell-1747

What I meant was losing 30lbs prior to beginning bodybuilding, it was more or less my motivation.
    Of course, I knew what you meant.

Drinking lots of water is good, but I don't know if I'd do the "only eating when you're hungry" route. Although the warrior diet (1 meal per day, small snacks of fruits/nuts before/after the meal if needed) has been proven to work. Although just because something works doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy. I just like eating too much to only eat once a day.
    Well, I still ate two or three times a day, I just ate less at each meal. I probably should have eaten more during that time, but, I didn't feel tired or sick, so apparently I was getting enough nutrients.