Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

So... What EXACTLY is the Meteor

We've updated the Meteor article in DiabloWiki, with as many links and images as we could find.

First off, have you seen material that potentially could be related that you can add to the article?

Secondly, what do you think is in that Meteor? A fallen angel seems like the most common guess.

Re: So... What EXACTLY is the Meteor

I think Imperius is also a likely candidate if the meteor is in fact an angel. Coming to finish what he started so long ago, methinks...

IncGamers Member

Hopefully something like an angel. Unfortunately, with the world's end type of theme, seeing that meteor just seemed way too much like Final Fantasy 7.

IncGamers Member

It's an inanimate carbon blob. You heard it here first!

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    I think Imperius is also a likely candidate if the meteor is in fact an angel. Coming to finish what he started so long ago, methinks...
    I'm inclined to agree with Techno, IF it is an Angel of some sort. If it's not, then it's probably just a regular meteor that pissed off a napping evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Slevinn View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with Techno, IF it is an Angel of some sort. If it's not, then it's probably just a regular meteor that pissed off a napping evil.
    I think that if they choose a meteor they are going to have a reason. I dont think its just any meteor that with some bad luck hits the cradle of evil...could have been an earthquake it they dont wanted to give a reason to the meteor...

I dont know much about Diablo game and its paralelism with cristian religion, but could it be the meteor the tree kings followed to finde the choosen child?
    Will we see also a flood that kills hells fire entrance made by the meteor?

BattleTag Gus-2965

The Diablo lore is not completely equivalent to Christian religion. Angels are not benevolent guys, ready to forgive the errors of humans. Most of them would like to destroy the world of Sanctuary as they think the demons could use the humans as allies in the war between Heaven and Hell. Tyrael and some other angels are willing to give a chance to humanity, thinking that they will, in the end, help Heaven instead of Hell. Finally, some guys (for example the priests of Rathma = necromancers) try to free humanity from the influence of Hell and Heaven...

So the Diablo lore is not directly related with Christian religion even it really looked like it during the two first games, as it was mostly a story of humans fighting against demons with the help of angels. The lore was expanded mostly in the novels that were published these last years to include these "bad" angels.

That is why many people think that this aspect of angels that would come in Sanctuary to fight humanity could be a part of the story of Diablo 3. So the meteor could be one of these angels arriving on Sanctuary from heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaterre View Post
    Finally, some guys (for example the priests of Rathma = necromancers) try to free humanity from the influence of Hell and Heaven...
    I wouldn't describe the followers of Rathma as people trying to free humanity from the influence of Hell and Heaven.

Followers of Rathma believe (at least according to the novels) that the world needs a balance of both light and dark. Should one overpower the other, the worlds existence would hang in the balance.

It actually isn't an easy task to classify good and evil in Diablo lore imo, if again we take the novels into account, which can be considered cannon.

*SPOILER FROM NOVELS BELOW*

Humans are the results of Angel and Demon breeding. Some Angels and Demons grew tired of the endless fight between High Heavens and Burning Hells, thus sought out a place to get away from such fighting. IIRC it was the angel Inarius and demon Lillith, who sought out other angels and demons with the same feeling of the war between Heaven and Hell, and thus created Sanctuary, and eventually humans.

When sanctuary was first discovered (The Sin Wars), the angels sought to destroy the humans, since their powers from being half demon half angels was considered a threat to High Heavens war against Hell. The powers humans was capable would far exceed that of both demons and angels (Sin Wars), when Uldyssian cast out all angels and demons from Sanctuary, and almost single handedly destroyed Sanctuary as well. On the other hand, the demonic forces sought to recruit the humans to their fight against the angels.

Rathma's entity is Trag'Oul, a dragon like form that helped shield Sanctuary from the eyes of Heaven and Hell. There's also some references to similar entities, although as far as I recall none of them were named.

As for the meteor, none of the angels that invaded Sanctuary during the Sin Wars appeared as meteors, although that does not exclude the possibility that the angels can appear like meteors when arriving in Sanctuary.

Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

IncGamers Member

I think the meteor is Tyraels "hero-recruitment-campaign". Tyrael needs new heroes because hell is about to invade. So Tyrael transforms himself into the meteor and lights up the sky. As we know heroes and their organizations are drawn to the meteor.

In order to assure that the heroes are of top quality, Tyrael sets up a test for them. That's why he aims the meteor (himself) towards the cathedral. Crashing into the cathedral wakes up the dead and the skeleton king. And so the heroes who seek the "fallen star" must first get past the skeleton king. The heroes who make it are worthy of Tyrael's quests.

might also be one of the prime evils who came from the abyss(also very pissed of).