Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAN host lag

IncGamers Member

LAN host lag

My girlfriend and I are just getting into the wonderful world of D2 and we're loving it. The only problem so far is that whoever hosts the LAN game has a crazy amount of lag that makes the game unplayable when there are a ton of monsters on the screen. Movement becomes very jittery and if you run away to where the monsters aren't on the screen things go really fast to sort of 'catch up', then go back to normal after a short period of time. Last night she hosted and she lagged, and tonight I hosted and I lagged so I know it's not the machines. We've tried turning the light detail down, the shadow blending off, and it makes no difference.

We're both running D2LoD 1.13c (or whatever the latest one is) on decently beefy machines. I'm running an i7-860 w/4gb Ram, SSD hdd and an Nvidia GTX260. Her computer is running a core2duo w/4gb Ram, 74gb raptor HDD and a newer ati 4000 series card. We're running on a gigabit network connected to the same switch as well.

I'm kind of out of ideas on what might be causing this nasty bit of lag and was hoping someone here may have a solution or an idea. Unfortunately I never played LAN with previous versions so I do not know if it is related to the most recent patch or not. Thanks for your time!

Re: LAN host lag

chat /fps to see your pings
    if they are under 10 its not lag, but the renderer having troubles

change the video mode from d3d to ddraw 2d
    run D2VidTst.exe from your d2 install folder -> run testes -> pick ddraw(2d) -> ok

if its still slow/unplayable try the glide wrapper

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html
    download gl32ogl14d.zip and unzip to your d2 install folder
    run glide-init.exe, pick english/dutch, opengl-infos, query opengl-infos
    if nothing is listed under unsupported extensions its fine
    pick settings
    tick keep aspect ratio, desktop resolution, and vsync
    then test to verify it works

if its successful
    run D2VidTst.exe and pick glide

IncGamers Member

thanks for the tips I'll give those a shot this evening!

IncGamers Member

my girlfriend and I finally got a chance to play again tonight (damn you grad school). I switched to the glide wrapper and it definitely helped, at least until we got to act 4 when things started to get choppy again. It doesn't seem to be network lag because the ping stays constantly low, and it's the framerate that drops to 3-5fps. Is there any other tricks to get it running better? I have one hell of a time running around when there's a lot on the screen.

those vid cards should have no issues with keeping d2 above 30fps
    but d2 itself does have some issues with lots of things going on

make sure your using the latest patch 1.13c
    http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=20758

IncGamers Member

Do you have any software firewalls on either computer?
    (if so disable them and try again)

Also, what operating system are you using?

IncGamers Member

running the latest patch, no firewalls, and i've got both computers running windows 7.

Its just weird that it only happens when I'm hosting the game, and when she hosts the game she has similar issues, even though the ping is below 100 at all times. I'm running all new networking equipment too @ 1GBps, do you think dropping the speed to 100MBps would make a difference?

lan speed shouldnt make any difference

do you get any problems when playing sp?

if its only happening on the host pc, kill some background apps that are running
    or disable everything on startup using msconfig and restart

The server and client portions of the hosting game may be fighting for resources and the client is losing out. One thing I have done in this situation is to run another instance of the game with a dummy character hosting and just leave that character in town. This helps to distribute the load across separate cores on your multi-core system.

IncGamers Member

Also, maybe your antivirus is causing the issue? Most don't/won't.. but there are some that seem to be poor with some games. Which AV do you use?

Try to either run the game without the AV running, or add the diablo2 path to your av's exceptions list so it won't scan it.

Also, you try changing the shortcut on d2 and check the box something like 'disable desktop composition'. That can cause issues. Also, if you wanted you could disable AERO all together. You can google that easy enough.

Just throwing out some ideas... maybe one will work.