Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

The Fresh Meat Tourney

The Fresh Meat Tourney

"Ah fresh meat!" - The butcher

So, after jiansonz recent thread on the adventures of Isolde a thread started about interest in a D1 tourney. After many expressed interest in the slow lovin of D1 this was the result. The fresh meat tourney!

Rules
    - Any character is allowed
    - Any "build" is allowed
    - HC single pass is required. This means only save when no monsters are around and if you die then so long.
    - SP mode only (not MP) due to quests and each difficulty will be played through once single pass style (a lot easier to do in D1)
    - D1 or Hellfire are permissable, just state which one you are doing.
    - Saving before hitting a Cauldron or random shrine is allowed ONCE! If you don't like the result you can re-load and then leave the cauldron as is.
    - Items can be stored in town but at the end of each difficulty no muling applications are allowed. You can only carry to the next act what you can fit on your person. (there are smart ways to transfer wealth though if you think about it)

Comments
    The rules above are made so as to allow our inspiration, Isolde, to be automatically entered into this tourney.
    No muling applications
    Style points are awarded for people that put restrictions on themselves such as Isolde not using a bow at all. Warriors are also encouraged as while they are powerful in normal in NM and Hell they do not scale as well as the other 2 characters. Hellfire characters are also allowed including Barbarian and Bard.
    Add yourself to the table as you go!

Code:
    Forum Name      Character       Class           Location               Level
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cius            Milamber        Mage            lvl 2                  4

I'll kick it off with Milamber who is a mage who hates using melee. Spells are first choice in all cases. Even if it means being dirt poor in the early game he has to use spells first and foremost and buy mana pots/charges when he runs out even if he would rather melee for a while and save some cash. Melee can only be used when he literally has no other way of casting (all mana, charges, and money depleted). Reason I went the easy route is that I never knew how to get into NM and Hell with SP characters so I have only played D1 to the end of normal. Seeing as it will be my first trip to NM and Hell I want the strongest character. Later on I may try a rogue.

IncGamers Member

Re: The Fresh Meat Tourney

Sweet, im in with the samurai rogue tetsu-ko.

I posted the samurai rules (by ReiRee) up before, but here they are again
    Spoiler

essentially a 'fighter/archer/mage' build with limitations throughout most of the game (up till level 40 and onwards). the early game is very interesting, which i will come to in a minute.

So Tetsu-ko began her journey, vowing to uphold her family's Bushido code. Immediately she noticed both a brown well and a bleeding corpse at the church, and realised she had her first quests.

As an Initiate of the Bow she was required to kill with a bow (easy) and put all stat points into dex until level 8. Straight forward indeed. She proceeded to perforate her way through skellies, fallen, zombies and those dog things. Nothing of interest happened, other than finding a weird shrine. These are probably close to the best shrines in the game. More on this later.

Proceeding to level 2, she faced more of the same. The monster types get a little confused, but I think it was ghouls (bigger zombies), skele captains and maybe hidden (the cloaking awesome headpopping death enemies). 3 experiences of note -

1. another weird shrine! these things add +1 to the max damage of a weapon, which is a big deal. As far as I know this alters BASE damage, so any enchantments and stat multipliers come on top of this. As base damage max in the game is often near 20, this is a very big deal. +2 would equal 10% more damage, especially knowing the samurai code largely relies on 2-handed swords.
    But I had a huuuuuge decision to make. I had to beat the butcher before level 7 (well, level 8, i misread the build). Once reaching level 8, a Samurai becomes an Initiate of the Fist. No weapon. Punch and kick monsters to death. The butcher. THE FREAKIN BUTCHER. Considering no stat points into vit, that seems unlikely.
    So I gave in to fear, and used both weird shrines on a hunters bow, increasing damage to 2-7.
    I do have buyer's remorse. I coulda saved them, and then buffed some mega lord's sword of speed or something, but i figure I have 3 difficulties to find more shrines. I will not wallow in self-pity, even though ...

2. The Butcher was a walk over. Trap him somewhere, like in the stairs or behind a door, and he drops like a ponce. Sold the cleaver.

3. Cleansing the water supply. I got hit by goatmen twice, and both times scared the bejeezus out of me. Knocked off at least a third of life, and they attack fast. The bow was really a powerhouse for this stage of the game though, and there were no NDEs.

The ring of truth for the water supply kicks some butt. As soon as I hit level 8 I paired it with my cap of health for a total of -2 enemy damage, pretty useful early on. Also have a +10 dex ring on the other hand, which combined with the early pumping of dex gives me a healthy 84% to-hit base.

Also managed to find leather armour of magic, and bought a sword of magic so I can learn the books I'd been hoarding. firebolt, charged bolt, healing and telekinesis added to the repertoire.

Level 3 was half cleared when I hit level 8. The bow went back into the town 'stash' and it was kung-fu flying feet action. Difficulty jumped a few notches, as I was facing Devilkin (tough fallen types), Burning dead captains (strong skeletons), corpse bows (skele archers) and the easier skele captains. Corpse bow bosspack was a bit of fun considering I had to run up to kick them to death, especially cos they were surrounded by burning dead captains, but no real problems. My high dex also has the benefit of pumping AC, along with my sturdy leather armour (+52% defense!), so it felt like I never got hit, except when I got mobbed by 3 burning dead captains.

So
    Tetsu-ko, level 9, Dlvl 4, Samurai Rogue

kinda hate having the table in every post, so I will leave it for now.

Fun!

As Isolde is actually sort of a true and strong "build" (as I found out in the diablo wiki) I like to make the game harder for myself. I am going to enter with a Warrior named Reginald. I have only one simple additional rule for him:

Reginald may only use two-handed weapons.
    (he´ll have to punch some monsters in the beginning)

This should lead to some interesting strategy choices. Warriors aren´t that bad with bows. Staves can provide useful charges, he will be able to hit pretty hard with the big weapons, etc. He´ll take a lot of damage, but Warriors get good life and can pump Vita more than the other classes.

Last edited by jiansonz; 13-01-2010 at 09:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Cius View Post
    I'll kick it off with Milamber who is a mage who hates using melee. Spells are first choice in all cases. Even if it means being dirt poor in the early game he has to use spells first and foremost and buy mana pots/charges when he runs out even if he would rather melee for a while and save some cash. Melee can only be used when he literally has no other way of casting (all mana, charges, and money depleted). Reason I went the easy route is that I never knew how to get into NM and Hell with SP characters so I have only played D1 to the end of normal. Seeing as it will be my first trip to NM and Hell I want the strongest character. Later on I may try a rogue.
    ^this. I'm sure I'll manage to die quickly somehow and then start a more crazy character. I'll use a different name though Update once I get him started.

Great tournament name btw

IncGamers Member

man, level 4 is handing tets her butt on a platter. just fully cleared it, but damn!

kicking things is hard work. managed to draw several tough enemies on this level. easy were hidden, rotting carcasses and blinks (stupid bats), but i also managed to draw the levelled up scavengers (cant remember the name, but they are fast, and HURT) and flesh clan (goat men). Not only that, of the 3 bosses, one was a bat, 1 a scavenger, and one a goat man!

i now have almost no potions left. and i almost died several times, the boss scavenger could take 3/4 of my life in a single hit. if my AC was any lower id be a goner

level 11 heading to level 5, which stinks cos i still have 3 more levels till i can use a sword

gharbad the weak was left alone (dont think i can beat him with kicks yet) and a goat shrine was saved .... but i tried it. cant believe my luck ... another weird shrine!

by the way, it was never clarified ... are we allowed to try shrines before we buy (test them with a save, then save them or discard them)? I advocate yes purely because getting bum-stabbed with a permanent loss of life or mana will piss off a lot of people

oh and as a warning to D1 Newbies - in the cats/lower church - STAY AWAY FROM BLACK DEATHS (fluro yellow and black zombies). You lose a permanent hit point if they hit you

edit:
    DAMN IT! dont worry, she aint dead yet. but as expected dlvl 5 (1st catacombs level) at lvl 11 with only KICKING as a weapon is deadly. and I got the WORST enemy draw. Goat archers, Horror archers, gloams (charging tougher bats) and Horror CAPTAINS! with no proper doorways for most of the cats, directly down the stairs I had to fight 3 horror captains simultaneously. 3 NDEs later and no red potions left, im a bit pissed. I need to find the secondary stairs (or is it now open in town?) so i can get back to town without running (walking) 4 tedious dungeon levels

im keeping upbeat. damn you and your rules ReiRee

edit2: highlighted question for emphasis

Last edited by soulmanz; 13-01-2010 at 10:10.

BattleTag Grisu-2156

Entering Seth, the Sorcerer Ranger, who may only use ranged weapons and magic, but no melee weapons or shields. Don't know how easy/hard that one will be, but we will see for sure! I mean, I haven't played the game in the last half of my life :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone and here's an updated table:

Code:
    Forum Name      Character       Class           	Location       Level
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    soulmanz	Tetsu-ko	Rogue Samurai		lvl 5          11
    Cius            Milamber        Mage            	lvl 2          4
    jiansonz	Reginald	Warrior 2handed		lvl 1          1
    scrcrw		??		Mage			lvl 1          1
    Grisu		Seth		Sorcerer Ranger		lvl 1          1

Quote Originally Posted by soulmanz View Post
    by the way, it was never clarified ... are we allowed to try shrines before we buy (test them with a save, then save them or discard them)? I advocate yes purely because getting bum-stabbed with a permanent loss of life or mana will piss off a lot of people
    If you read the rules you will see that saving for the random shrines is allowed a single time.

Just to clarify though:
    - Saving before normal named shrines who's effect is freely available in the wiki is expressly forbidden
    - Saving before hitting a goat shrine or cauldron (I think those are the only random effect shrines) is allowed a single time. However, if you wish to keep the effect you may not re-load. So for instance if you get a shrine that changes all your potions to rejuvenation potions you can't go back to your save point and fill your inventory with normal potions for the free upgrade. You either stick with the one's you had or reload and pretend the shrine no longer exists. We expect you to stick to the honour system here as obviously we have no idea if you abused this or not. There are several shrines that can be abused that way (filling inventory with gold, rejuve's, weapon's, durability, etc). Don't do it!

Good progress everyone. Reading about the kicking I remember when I first played with a really good warrior I saved before fighting diablo and tried a few ways to kill him. First I did it with full gear easily enough, then I did it with a dagger. Then just a shield, and finally I punched him to death. Was easier than I thought it would be. I seem to recall knockback played a role, either for me using it or him using it on me. Was at least 15 years ago I think so my recollection is a bit fuzzy on the details.

Thanks for the table update Grisu.

IncGamers Member

well, how about if you hit a goat shrine, and it has a good effect (which the game intended to bestow on a weapon) but you arent carrying one. can you come back and use it as soon as you wield a weapon again? that way you arent saving it to make an uber weapon, but arent wasting an effect the game intended to give you

maybe grasping at straws

thanks for the clarification, and for informing me i didnt read the rules!

just had to park my first enemy, a gloom boss. i cant carry enough potions to take that guy down (i mean it would take more than 40!)
    im not hopeful of reaching level 14 and making it to sword use. i may have to abandon samurai ethics soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Cius View Post
    Just to clarify though:
    - Saving before normal named shrines who's effect is freely available in the wiki is expressly forbidden
    - Saving before hitting a goat shrine or cauldron (I think those are the only random effect shrines) is allowed a single time. However, if you wish to keep the effect you may not re-load.
    Another reason Isolde won´t take part in the tourney. She has violated both of these rules.

Ah well, guess I miss-read Isolde's rules then as well
    Anyways, I hate tourney's that change rules mid way so lets just stick with the current system as what we currently have seems to me to be the lightest abuse of the save re-load option.