Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IncGamers Member

Re: MP Ports guide & Technical Issues Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Question View Post
    When i host a TCP/IP game with nobody else in it, why is it that sometimes i still lag(monsters teleport around)?
    Because it's still client/server, even if the client and the server are physically the same. I occasinally play tcp/ip games and have made the same observation, so I suppose that there is the same lag in updates from the server to the client as on bnet.

- FreezBee

IncGamers Member

But if i ping myself the ping is zero so why is there lag?

BattleTag mordell-1747

Quote Originally Posted by Question View Post
    But if i ping myself the ping is zero so why is there lag?
    I know this is old.....

Because ping is not a factor in self-mp games, but other sources of slowdown are. Not all lag is network lag.

IncGamers Member

I have set up my port forwarding. I have disabled windows firewall. I have given my friend BOTH my WAN IP, the IP I get from whatismyip.org, and no luck. We have both tried Hamachi, and the IPs Hamachi gives us on our network do nothing. We have both connected to battle.net to make sure our versions have the same patch.

I'm at a loss. What do I do to connect TCP/IP?

D2 Assassin, Barbarian
    & Single Player & SP Trading

Let's try these options:

1) Normal Hosting
    - Both of you 'host' a LAN game and before you start the hosting, you'll see your internal IP on the screen at top
    - ipchicken or whatismyip will give you both your external IP
    - Are you both in the same house/on the same IP?
    - If yes, then has your router given you both internal IP addresses? (EG 192.168.1.x - x should be different for both of you)
    - if no, then does whoever is hosting have Diablo 2 LoD forwarded to their internal IP address? Your friend will need the EXTERNAL IP to connect!
    - Your internal WAN address will not necessarily be the same as the internal LAN address
    - Check that the host computer has Diablo 2 LoD forwarded to the correct WAN if you're using wireless - not LAN (wired)

2) Hamachi
    - Hamachi is usually fairly simple (although I don't like it)
    - If you are both using the same version of Hamachi and you are both using the correct Hamachi-IP's then that should go through
    - Can you send texts to each other over it?

My instinct is that if you're using WAN (wireless) and not LAN (wired) then your WAN settings are the issue.

You've already mentioned taking off the disaster that is Windows Firewall, have you got any other Firewall software running? Perhaps as part of an anti-virus? If so, drop that too.

I know you've probably done most of the above, but it doesn't hurt to start from the beginning. Usually something like this is the small "D'oh, aghhhh!" which is easily overlooked.

Hope that is of some help.

If no, try letting us know your operating system and router make; it might help. I've definitely hosted/played over WAN, so it's definitely possible.

City of Titans - Smashed the goal - More info here

"Retail made me learn to despise humanity and welcome the apocalypse. Still waiting world."
    - Kellic Youdontneedmylastname

Quote Originally Posted by Thyiad View Post
    2) Hamachi
    - Hamachi is usually fairly simple (although I don't like it)
    - If you are both using the same version of Hamachi and you are both using the correct Hamachi-IP's then that should go through
    - Can you send texts to each other over it?
    Yeah, it has an IM system that lets you chat both individually and with your entire network.

I'm not sure why Thy doesn't like hamachi, but I really like it - only very rarely had troubles connecting with people via it.

D2 Assassin, Barbarian
    & Single Player & SP Trading

I know you can send IM's over it. I was asking if they able to do so.

Personally I prefer using 'proper' setups rather than Hamachi. It's just as simple as that. We've had a few Hamachi groups, but people leave, the channel gets full ...

I used to use Hamachi briefly a LONG time ago (was once the only way to transfer items because MSN was too slow ...) but I recall when installing a newer version there were a lot of security things which I didn't like. Can't remember what they were, but I have a lot of machines on my network with many things shared because I use them. Opening my network makes me iffy about that sort of thing.

YMMV.

City of Titans - Smashed the goal - More info here

"Retail made me learn to despise humanity and welcome the apocalypse. Still waiting world."
    - Kellic Youdontneedmylastname

BattleTag ZeroAffex-1699

I am not sure what my IP password is. I didn't make one for my router, so is it just my WSKP(or WPA, I can't remember lol) passcode? There is a password I have to enter into my devices like our laptop/ps3/xbox360/alienware to get access to our wireless network. Is this what I need or is it something different? Also, if its something different, can I call my cable company who provides my internet and they will give it to me? Sorry to bother!

-ZeroAffex

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroAffex View Post
    I am not sure what my IP password is. I didn't make one for my router, so is it just my WSKP(or WPA, I can't remember lol) passcode? There is a password I have to enter into my devices like our laptop/ps3/xbox360/alienware to get access to our wireless network. Is this what I need or is it something different? Also, if its something different, can I call my cable company who provides my internet and they will give it to me? Sorry to bother!

-ZeroAffex
    hiya! Look up 'default passwords' for your specific router number. Most are just admin/password. but some are admin/1234, user/passcode, etc.
    You'll recognize it once you see it!

I have a sticky Hamachi issue that I'm hoping you guys can solve. I've been playing mp with some folks on here, and we have a hamachi network. I am able to host games, but not join them.

When I pinged my friend, the ping went through, although to be honest I don't know what pinging means or what it does. I saw a long list of "replies from" his IP address, so it looked like it was working. We are able to chat over Hamachi, and he can join me with no problems. But when I try to join him, it won't connect.

Thoughts? Thanks.

EDIT: this problem was windows firewall and has been solved.
    Last edited by Goldtru; 11-10-2013 at 13:12.