Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

MP Ports guide & Technical Issues Help Thread

so, I was lookin through the forums, the stickies, the FAQ's and everywhere else I could think to look... I even tried the 'search' button... I know, weird right?
    Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have a guide, with pictures, of what to do and how to set up a router for MP game play.

ok, on with the guide.

The 1st thing we have to do find out what your LAN IP is. The easiest way to do this is Start>connect to>show all connections
    http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/drevTL/lan.jpg
    As you can see, on the lower lest side tells you the IP is 192.168.1.101

Now that we have our LAN IP, we need to get in to the router so we can start to open and foward some ports.

open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 ( this is usually the default ip of a lan)
    That should bring up the prompt for your router/modem

This is all based on the assumption that you actually know the password to get in, which I hope you do. If not, go beg your parents to let you in, or have them read this guide and open the ports for you.

Ok so once your in, you need to find the your 'Port Forwarding' page/tab. Here's Mine.
    http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/y...ingleports.jpg

Notice that there are only 2 ports that you need to have open - 6112 and 4000 - Heres the port info from Blizzard

Diablo II:

- Allow port 6112 TCP out and allow established sessions in

- Allow port 4000 TCP out (realm games)

- Allow port 4000 TCP out and in (hosting open games only)

So you go down to an empty Line and start pluggin away numbers

6112 in both external and internal ports
    Make sure that the protocol is set to both.

In the 'To IP Address' tab, make sure the last 3 match you last 3 from your LAN
    http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/drevTL/lan.jpg
    Mine was 101 so thats what I put there.

Make sure to check mark the 'enable' boxes ( you laugh but Ive forgotten before )
    Then save

Now, your router should be open minded now and allow packets in thu the game ports that we need.

Now while were here, we might as well get out WAN IP ( the IP your ISP gives you) too.. Somewhere on your router page there should be a 'status' tab/page click on it and look for IP address, Mine looks something like this.
    http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/y...evTL/WANip.jpg
    Thats the IP you want to have if you want people to join your games.

1 more thing to do...Config the Windows Firewall...Personally, I dont use it, But ive got 2 other firewalls workin, but thats me...

ok so this is how we 'open' windows, so to speak xD

you need to make sure you have Admin Access go to Control Panel > Firewall > Exceptions(on the tabs at the top)

Now once your there, look for Diablo, you never know it might be there...

If its not, at the bottom, click 'Add Program'> click the browse button and navigate your way to your D2 install dir to the diablo.exe and hit ok.
    You can always add the ports manually too, by clicking the 'add ports' button jsut put d2 or daiblo in for the name and then add the port 6122. Then you have to so it again for port 4000 too.

That should be it...At least, it worked for me.

Anyway, if you have any questions or concerns let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

Thanks for the read, and good luck.

LOD-

Last edited by LODjunkie; 07-01-2010 at 18:07.

Re: MP Ports guide

From the MP FAQ:
    Your IP addresses does NOT begin 192.xxx, use www.whatismyip.org to get your external address
    Bear in mind you will probably have to open port 4000. If you don’t know how to do this then try www.portforward.com.
    If that doesn’t work you can resort to hosting via www.hamachi.cc however only other Hamachi users can connect.
    Blizzard’s technical support may be able to help you
    Use the advanced search button - others may have had a similar problem
    That pretty much explains where to go and how to setup your computer and ports for MP. You've just got to follow the links, and portforward is even likely to have your router on file so you can see specific images. You choose Router => Application (in this case Diablo II) and then it tells you exactly how to set up port forwarding on your exact hardware.

However, the little addition about firewalls is good. Sometimes people just forget to allow applications to access certain ports, even if the network is setup. Or you can just misread your IP address. Just ask omg .

Also, if anyone really has questions or concerns it should probably be in the Technical Issues thread stickied in the MP sub-forum (or through PM, I guess). And I'm not entirely sure this shouldn't be in the MP sub-forum anyway. Seems like the people who would need a guide to set up ports for multiplay would first check the MP section.

All-in-all, I'm glad you were able to get it all setup, and hopefully this helps someone else. Sometimes we overlook things, and something that explicitly states "MP Ports Guide" might save someone a little time.

Just a pointer for people using Windows (WinXP, anyways) and having trouble hosting: make sure the built-in Windows 'firewall' (I use the term loosely) is disabled or the necessary ports are open. If you're behind a router, this will block incoming connections anyways (unless you open the ports for them), so the built-in firewall is largely pointless. If you think it's been disabled, but are still having hosting troubles, check it again. The other day I found it had mysteriously been enabled on one of my machines, and the best guess I have is that one of the Windows updates decided to 'helpfully' enable it for me.

I've never experienced any problems with windows XP firewall. You sure pharaoh?

Well, as I'm behind a router, I turn it off whenever I install XP (and tell Windows that I have 'a firewall solution that I will monitor myself', so it doesn't nag me about the imminent doom threatening my machine). For some reason, it was enabled on one of my machines. Either I forgot to disable it, or it somehow was re-enabled. Given that I keep disk images of my machines, making actual 'from scratch' installs a very rare occurrence, and that I've hosted on the machine in question since the last time I needed to reinstall, I expect that it was re-enabled. Also, MS (with Windows in particular) seems to have a habit of second-guessing your decisions, and trying to do things 'in the best interests of the user', whether or not the user agrees, so I figure it's not unlikely for them to do this 'helpful' enabling.

And yes, I know I could open the ports on the Windows firewall, but that's not the point.

IncGamers Member

Well, windows firewall isnt a 'great' firewall but it does a great job at stoppin in-bound traffic, not so much the outbound. Which is why some people will have some problems. Its very intuitive on program install, allowing it on its own. But sometimes it wont. Like I said, personally, I dont use it either. Since all routers have built in firewalls, and are generally better than windows.

I swear I looked everywhere for info on setting this up all over, I even re-read the MP FAQ twice. hopefully this will help a few more that had looked like I did and missed it.

edit - I just seen that small tid bit of info in the MP FAQ, maybe thats why I missed it. hopefully this will help few more in settin it up, at least point them in the right direction

Last edited by LODjunkie; 07-01-2010 at 12:22.

From the SPF FAQ:
    Images
    Please use the gallery or Imageshack. Do not embed images into posts in the SP(T)F.
    Images load plenty quick on my netbook, but reading the post while having to scroll all over the place can be difficult.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattinm View Post
    From the SPF FAQ:

Images load plenty quick on my netbook, but reading the post while having to scroll all over the place can be difficult.
    fixed, sry

IncGamers Member

IIRC I had to turn of FW while hosting time to time (or every time, didnt host for ages)

More posts like this are always good, ty

IncGamers Member

Re: MP Ports guide & Technical Issues Help Thread

When i host a TCP/IP game with nobody else in it, why is it that sometimes i still lag(monsters teleport around)?