Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: In your opinion, what is the most difficult language to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    edit: i think i use the comma too much! lol! apologies.
    Yes, you, use, commas, too, much. Apology, not, accepted. ;]

As far as the gender of words goes, I really don't mind. I guess that's because Polish does not have articles (or better yet, no one in Poland knows what the heck an article is XD) but it does have word genders meaning that adjectives, nouns, verbs, and plenty of other things change their form. It's hard to learn any language by any given rule. Notice that when you speak a language you never really pay attention to what you are saying and how you are saying it and yet it is understandable and, most of the time, correct. To be frank, I prefer that languages do have word genders, just for the sole purpose of making it harder to learn :] When something's too simple I get bored too easily >.>

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    I think that its orthography is clumsy for no good reason, as said. Maybe it came from the times where speaking French was en vogue. I don't mean to brag, but I'm particularly good at orthography (except for commas in English), so I've seen a couple of native speakers who are worse at it than me, although my vocabulary is typically more limited Correct me if I'm wrong, I can stand it.
    One of the biggest issues people have with using commas in English (for natives, as well) is that they tend to put them in places where they would pause in speech. Spoken English and written English are viewed differently when it comes to a pause.

That was an enjoying read

But who said "English is like a mix of German and French, lacking the good features of the two" ? I'm pretty sure it was a native English speaker.

Quite possibly. I don't know how we arrived at our current 'rules' for spelling and pronounciation, but they certainly don't make much sense

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman19946 View Post
    Yes, you, use, commas, too, much. Apology, not, accepted. ;]
    well, then..... i apologize.

That was an enjoying read

But who said "English is like a mix of German and French, lacking the good features of the two" ? I'm pretty sure it was a native English speaker.
    English got to be the way it is today after a blending of cultures and words beginning from the Middle Ages. i think, if my history is correct (and someone can please correct me as i am bound to be wrong and i have a feeling someone will correct me with a smug smile on their face lol!), Old English is something no one speaks anymore. it's really hard to speak (my old Brit Lit prof could speak it fluently. sounded nothing like English today) and, like i said, sounds nothing like English today. here comes William the Conqueror in 1066 and that started the Middle English period. because it was already spoken by Germanic tribes, when William came over, he brought French into the system and everything just blended together. a lot of the English words have some sort of German and French origin. but im sure most of you knew this already. lol! so, when people look at Shakespeare or anything from that time period and say, "I can't understand this! It's Old English!" you can correct them and say, "Nuh-uh-uh! if it was Old English, you would not recognize any of it!" i tihnk the English at that time was considered Modern, but im not too sure about that.....

Shakespeare is too hard for me to understand... it's plain Old English in there >.< I don't touch that stuff. (actually... being more fluent in English than I am in Polish, I can understand Shakespeare stuff better than a lot of native English speakers can Which makes me kind of proud of myself... and cocky at the same time >.>)

Shakespeare is too hard for me to understand... it's plain Old English in there >.< I don't touch that stuff. (actually... being more fluent in English than I am in Polish, I can understand Shakespeare stuff better than a lot of native English speakers can Which makes me kind of proud of myself... and cocky at the same time >.>)
    really? i always thought you were cocky to begin with. joke!

it is difficult to understand, that's why you are in class and have a teacher go over the material with ya so they can tell you what he's saying if you aren't getting the message (and if there isn't a footnote). hehe!

really? i always thought you were cocky to begin with. joke!
    i know D: it's true... I'm really cocky >.< My friend said that I'm like Hitler, thinking I'm superior and everyone else should die... but I don't want people to die D: I just want them work on their intelligence... or die >.>

i know D: it's true... I'm really cocky >.< My friend said that I'm like Hitler, thinking I'm superior and everyone else should die... but I don't want people to die D: I just want them work on their intelligence... or die >.>
    ooo-kaayy! lol!!! well, just a warning.... im pretty oblivious to some things and won't get jokes until five minutes, sometimes years, later. i don't mean to! it's just.... im book smart, not street smart, and then at that, i don't consider myself very book smart. if it helps, i like to think of it as my mind is full of useless facts.

alright, language. anyone else?

edit: and you don't have to accept, Boogy. but maybe i can at least PM you. lol!

ooo-kaayy! lol!!! well, just a warning.... im pretty oblivious to some things and won't get jokes until five minutes, sometimes years, later. i don't mean to! it's just.... im book smart, not street smart, and then at that, i don't consider myself very book smart. if it helps, i like to think of it as my mind is full of useless facts.

alright, language. anyone else?

edit: and you don't have to accept, Boogy. but maybe i can at least PM you. lol!
    that is never a problem

Have you guy ever thought, if perhaps, somewhere out there, there is a species of aliens that speak a language that we cannot even pronounce, let alone comprehend? I would call that language Tkszhpwt, pronouncing it phonetically like you would in Spanish.