Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Auto-Pickup Items

Bashiok wrote that they do not want auto-pickup for items to avoid automization.

Now I know you guys hate World of Warcraft, but there I always pickup everything (used to be the shift button, now you can set it on by default).

And I'm perfectly happy with that! Of course I need to vendor trash items every now and then, but it would take me about the same amount of time to contemplate over each piece of loot I pick up.

Bashiok praises the decisions you have to make - shall I keep this item or not? That's a very important part of the game. He however does that in the dungeon, and has to make a pause after every mob group. I do that in town, while having a nice cup of tea with the merchant.

Autopickup items ftw

Last edited by Sakris; 26-10-2009 at 12:21.

IncGamers Member

Re: Auto-Pickup Items

i say its a bad idea... once you learn the game, you will want to pick/choose what to grab... if its ANYTHING like diablo 2, then you'll reach a point when 98% of the drops you dont want to pick up, not even to sell.

BattleTag blackdeath 2100

Quote Originally Posted by a black kid View Post
    i say its a bad idea... once you learn the game, you will want to pick/choose what to grab... if its ANYTHING like diablo 2, then you'll reach a point when 98% of the drops you dont want to pick up, not even to sell.
    i agree. and im not sure i want to drink tea with the merchant, since he dont sell potions the same way as d2.

I have to agree with kid and viking, so much of what drops in Diablo games is not worth picking up. It will be even more so in D3 with no TP. Another thing is, In WoW the loot is on the corps not like in the Diablo games where its on the ground where you can mouse over it and see if its worth picking up.

One thing they said they will have autopickup for is gold, all you have to do is walk over the gold and it will pick it up.

Would I be correct in assuming that it will be like D2 in the sense that it is He-Who-Clicks-First-Wins? That is, that there isn't going to be some kind of loot-rolling system?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scottgun View Post
    Would I be correct in assuming that it will be like D2 in the sense that it is He-Who-Clicks-First-Wins? That is, that there isn't going to be some kind of loot-rolling system?
    different from both actually. all loot that drops will be yours to pick up, and the other players will see different drops. kinda like a round robin loot system... so there will no more clickfests trying to get items with the boss at 1% and no one is killing it.

WoW and D3 are not comparable in that respect.

WoW has completely different item system and the auto-pick up feature there is useful because it doesn't fully automate the loot process, it just reduces the amount of player input needed. Unlike D3, players in WoW can hold far more items and these items are never dropped on the ground, so in order to loot an enemy the player has to click its corpse to bring up the list of the item it carries and then click the items they wish to loot. At the very least two clicks. With the auto-pick up feature, the player has to click the corpse just once in order to loot it.

As you can see, even with the auto-pick up feature in WoW, the level of player input required to loot an item is still the same in both games - you click once and the item ends up in your inventory. Without auto-loot, WoW requires more input, which is why that feature is useful there.

Due to their smaller inventory, D3 players need to be much more selective about which items they pick up anyway, so for this reason alone auto-pick up wouldn't work because the players' inventory would quickly be filled with useless stuff. It would also remove the amount of player input needed to pick up items, which is of no use because it's already so low that reducing it further would practically result in automation.

In short, auto-pick up works well in WoW but wouldn't work well in D3.

IncGamers Member

I would like the game to pick up gold for me. I'd like the game to automatically fill my belt with potions, if that mechanic remains similar in D3 (and along those lines, I'd like to be able to tell the game what quality of potions I'd like to pick up). Beyond that... I'm fine with selecting the stuff I want.

Essentially, if there's anything that's going to force me to spend an inordinate amount of time clicking on the ground for items, then I'd prefer it if they tried to make that more automatic. Gold and potion pickup would make Diablo 2 a much better experience, but I can only speculate about Diablo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by a black kid View Post
    different from both actually. all loot that drops will be yours to pick up, and the other players will see different drops. kinda like a round robin loot system... so there will no more clickfests trying to get items with the boss at 1% and no one is killing it.
    Ok. So it seems a little like Guild Wars. I seem to recall in that one that you did see other's drops, but they were reserved.

IncGamers Member

Hi!

WoW auto pickup isin't auto pickup really. You still have to press the corpse. When you have a button that picks up every loot from certain radius or when the game does it automatically you have auto pickup.

Also having the loot in the corpses would be quite sad. Seeing some cool items fly around when the monsters die is one of the best things in D2! Also you would have to check every corpse for loot wich is not a good idea.

WoW-like idea where you have to check every corpse is a really bad idea. It consumes time alot. Having button that picks up everything on certain radius COULD work if you can set a list what to pick up and what not, but this would be so easy to abuse whit botting that i don't think it should/will be implemented.