Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: A Guide to Classic (1.06b)

Are there any other such guides? I never visit the SP forum to be honest.

We could collect them and ask Warlock to sticky them.

None for any other classic version that I've seen, I can assure you that if I had found a similar one for 1.06 I wouldn't have bothered digging out all this info and writing the guide

NIce guide By the way. Recently started 1.06b fresh, not sure how I will find it with out multipl cow king runs. I have also tried a 5 player game with my lvl 12 baba. Basically anything past stony field has waaaaay too much health for it to be effective for me. Not sure how it will work when I get a lance whirlwind and hell river. We will see.

IncGamers Member

I haven't been around for a while and thus missed the early drafts of the guide, so I just wanted to thank you for making it. I'm not sure I can ever see myself going back to anything pre-1.09, but wow... this sure brings back memories. So many things were so much simpler then. Defense? Sigon's Guard for max block and +1 skills, end of story. That or maybe a 3-diamond tower obviated every other defensive option in the game. No real boss-running, since Act Bosses only dropped well once. Gambling for that SoJ, hoping this 50K would finally be the one. Massively, ridiculously overpowered WW and CE until they got mega-nerfed in 1.02.

As much as people complain about the current game being too cookie-cutter on the Realms, it's still tremendously richer now than it was in the early days. Of course, it was still a blast at the time.

Thanks again.

Glad you like the guide Todd, thanks to you for reading it! I still love this classic version of the game, it has a very different feel to it than LoD, and the thrill of finding or gambling a rare when you know it can be better than whatever you've got is just great Thanks to you for reading it!

IncGamers Member

I am playing version 1.06b and the barbarian whirlwind is not hitting properly. If there are two or three monsters on the screen it will hit each of them once but if I whirlwind through a mob it won't hit anyone. Has anyone experienced this? I installed with a set of 1.0 discs and updated with a patch downloaded from the blizzard ftp site. I started the character after completing the installation and update.

IncGamers Member

Great guide, thanks a lot!

Really makes me want to start playing again =)

I think almost everybody who used to play D2 before LoD came along will agree that this was the best version of the game, both PvM and PvP wise.

Almost every character build could make it's own stand throughout the entire game because there were no immunities (although certain builds were definitely a lot faster). Rare items were actually the most useful and had some sick stats. Some of those items still live on to this day in LoD and carry a heavy price-tag.
    PvP was even better, because each class had a reasonable chance since the balance was good (sorc was a little overpowered) and you could easily use the same character with the same items in PvM for PvP. There were some weird PvP builds back then that actually worked quite well - for example (those were not my chars):

- Fenella: stab amazon - would use a stiletto/shield to take out other bowazons
    - DivineSmiter: smite pala, not very common back then, another anti-bowazon build, very effective
    - Juggernaut(?): a ww barb using an ITD scepter and loads of leech
    - some lvl12 nec: fully equipped with all +skill uniques, quite effective against barbs, at least (IM+bonewalls)

Ahh.. I could go on for hours :/

It's been a while since I was around, hadn't checked this thread in ages... sorry for the delay in answering, but I guess late is better than never

Quote Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
    I am playing version 1.06b and the barbarian whirlwind is not hitting properly. If there are two or three monsters on the screen it will hit each of them once but if I whirlwind through a mob it won't hit anyone. Has anyone experienced this?
    Your game is perfectly fine, don't worry! I don't know the exact reason but this was always the case in all classic versions of the game, at least up to 1.06b. Not much you can do about it really, just try not to whirl through the mob, you can either break them up a bit and hit the ones that get stranded or whirl following the mob's outline (so to speak). That last one is easier if you're using a weapon with good range, such as a lance, since if you measure the distance well it'll let you hit them without them hitting you in return.

And Slik, your post brought back some fond memories! It's always been my favourite version of the game too, and when writing this guide I hoped it might make some people feel like giving it a try, glad you liked it

IncGamers Member Username is not in use's Avatar

can u reup the affix document please? kurkerloungelink is broken

IncGamers Member Username is not in use's Avatar

*bump* can somebody reup the affix document pls

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/index2.p...o_pdf=1&id=811

Last edited by Username is not in use; 17-05-2011 at 16:22.