Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Blade Fury Analysis

I reported my test results confirming +% Enhanced Damage applied to Blade Fury's skill damage in the 'Is Blade Shield a 1 point wonder?' topic of the Amazon Basin's Assassin Room on 27 May 2008 (stephan, you actually responded to the opening post after I did so ): TitanSeal reported likewise in the 'Blade Fury Sin' topic on 17 July 2008, and also reported that Claw Mastery's +% to Attack Rating didn't apply to BF.

I'd be unpleasantly surprised if TitanSeal and I were the first and only ones to test and report this at the Amazon Basin, or if Ceramic Weasel was the first and only one to do so here: it's almost six years since v1.10 was released, and the unreliability of the character screen is infamous.

Hopefully Ceramic Weasel will be the first to popularise this knowledge here, though.

I'm getting old then. I can't remember it at all.

IncGamers Member

This is an amazing topic.

thank you OP for noticing and testing this.

One question though, how is Off weapon +max damage calculated?

I'm looking forward to the testing of blade sentry, but I fear it still wouldn't be useful even with high levels and a pheonix shield, because of the 25 frame nextdelay.

On the other hand, it may be useful because it is more of an "aoe" skill than blade fury, so that could be balanced out. Plus I don't think it needs AR IIRC.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceramic Weasel View Post
    How's this coming along kavlor? Any opinions yet on how Fool's + Visionary works out for hit rates with no ITD?
    Hits easy if you mean PvM even with just visionary (and no Angelics)as Ive used Last wish on occasion.

5zigen:
    Blade sentinal is actually ok its even pretty good at the early levels because it can do good damage without depending on items(might be fun early ladder).In Hell in a solo game it kills very easily,small enemies go down in one.

Im amazed how well BF does in full games I think if I add Atmas Scarab into the equation it could solo full Hell games or at least some areas.

Last edited by kavlor; 23-07-2009 at 01:11.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5zigen View Post
    One question though, how is Off weapon +max damage calculated?
    According to the damage equations on Arreat Summit this should be included in the weapon half and reduced to 3/4. It's not bugged like +X on weapons and I see no reason it would crop up in the BF calculation. I haven't tested it though, so I'll add it to my to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by 5zigen View Post
    I'm looking forward to the testing of blade sentry, but I fear it still wouldn't be useful even with high levels and a pheonix shield, because of the 25 frame nextdelay.

On the other hand, it may be useful because it is more of an "aoe" skill than blade fury, so that could be balanced out. Plus I don't think it needs AR IIRC.
    I've already done some calculations for this based on onderduiker's tests. Using the same equipment as the 10k Furysin example, a level 40 Sentinel should do 6,347 damage. While I haven't tested it myself, onderduiker's tests show that it does use AR, but unlike BF, it gets the +%AR boost from CM.

Also, as you said, it has a 25 frame nextdelay, so its damage potential is further reduced. I suppose the optimal use for it would be against tightly packed groups of monsters, with a long enough path so that it takes at least 1 second to complete a circuit. I think I'd rather max out Death Sentry.

Quote Originally Posted by kavlor View Post
    Hits easy if you mean PvM even with just visionary (and no Angelics)as Ive used Last wish on occasion.

Im amazed how well BF does in full games I think if I add Atmas Scarab into the equation it could solo full Hell games or at least some areas.
    Last Wish has ITD, so that doesn't surprise me. I also find Atma's Scarab to be incredibly useful for dealing with Phys immunes. It's radius is small enough that it won't interfere with CoS very much.

IncGamers Member

Oh yeah sorry about that just tried a random weapon and it still seems to hit ok.

Anyway I think because your damage isn't totally dependant on a weapons you could use a much wider variety just to make things a little interesting for instance Lawbringer might be a nice safety weapon especially in a party(then you could wear Maras instead of Atmas).Another weapon is CTA if you make it in a high damage eth weapon then it has dual purpose so you could have say to venom claws on the other weapon swap(bit risky making them unless you have the runes to burn).

Hmm Im going to put a list of items that might be interesting(Ill edit in more later)
    Nats mark(DtD,DtU)
    Shadow killer (freezes,frost nova for slow)

Last edited by kavlor; 23-07-2009 at 13:14.

IncGamers Member

Lawbringer and CTA could be functional, but it's a shame to give up on the off-weapon +%ED from Claw Mastery.

I was looking at Natalya's Mark earlier, and it's actually a fairly interesting option. The general consensus is that +%DtD and +%DtU on weapons count as off-weapon enhancements for the purposes of damage calculations so, in theory, they should boost the damage from BF too (thanks onderduiker for pointing this out). This means, against Demons and Undead, an ethereal Nat's Mark socketed with 'Lo' would outdamage an ethereal Fury Suwayyah with +3 BF. This doesn't account for Open Wounds though.

IncGamers Member

Off-weapon + to Min/Maximum Damage is applied in the same way as on-weapon + to Min/Maximum Damage: it's only added to weapon damage, enhanced by off-weapon +% Enhanced Damage and subject to the weapon damage penalty (reduced to 3/4).

This earlier post summarises the results of tests on all of the Blade skills. Blade Sentinel's damage is calculated in the same way as that of BF, only with different values for the weapon damage penalty and skill damage.

Blade Sentinel requires a hit-check: + to Attack Rating, +% AR from all sources and - Monster Defense Per Hit all apply, but -% Target Defence and Ignore Target Defence do not (although both these properties do apply to Blade Fury and Shield). It also has a hidden AR bonus, equivalent to 5*level... so level 20 Blade Sentinel adds 100 (5*20) AR...

Well... every little helps, and it's added to other AR before being enhanced by +% AR.

Ha, now I know why I seemed weak for doing 6k fury dmg with my ebotd spear.

BattleTag maxicek-2583

Quote Originally Posted by Ceramic Weasel View Post
    ...an ethereal Nat's Mark socketed with 'Lo' ...
    Set items can't be ethereal. But it's an interesting weapon choice non the less.