Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Re: Blade Fury Analysis

You didn't test my favorite kick/fury weapon, Azurewraith!!!

IncGamers Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I just love it when people give me more work to do.

Updates:
    - Rare claw test results
    - Lacerator test results (with and without Amp Damage)
    - Azurewrath test results

In reference to the rare claw; it seems ITD can spawn on rare claws with the "Piercing" suffix. So if you can find an ethereal War Fist with Cruel, Fool's, Witch-Hunter's, Piercing and Bear mods, like this, that would be pretty cool.

To address some of the other stuff...

----------
    Level 10 Static Field is 9.3 yards. You can get an idea of the radius in the screenshots here and here. I personally don't think it's enough for a ranged character, but that's just me.

----------
    Poison Mastery (or +% psn skill dmg) does not apply twice on BF. See below for test results:
    Code:
    Lvl 50 Venom with Trang's glove (1435 * 1.25 = 1794)
    Average Venom damage per frame: 179.4 (29.9 PvP)

1st Blade (6 frames): 3.9 + 29.9 * 6 * 0.75 = 138
    2nd Blade (10 frames): 3.9 + 29.9 * 10 * 0.75 = 228

Expected average damage: (138 + 228)/2 = 183
    Observed average damage over 30 hits: 181
    ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by BlastDuke View Post
    Can anyone describe how you exactly calculate the 219.5 value? The Suwayyah has 45.5 avg base damage, what makes this to become 219.5?
    This number is for an ethereal "Fury" Suwayyah (Jah+Gul+Eth). With 224%ed the damage on the weapon is 187-252.

----------
    DH Amazon: In regards to your plan to hold the Infinity and ditch the Might merc, here are some numbers that may change your mind. Assuming you hit level 30 BF, have min Str/Dex to use an ethereal Cryptic Axe Infinity, and are wearing the following

Weapon: Ethereal Cryptic Axe Infinity (320%ed)
    Armor: Fortitude
    Helm: Guillaume's socketed with 1x 40%ed jewel
    Boots: Gore Riders
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath

Weapon Half = 575 * (1 + 1.55 + (300+40) / 100) * 1.62 * 0.375 ~= 2,078
    Blade Fury Half = 182 * (1 + 1.55 + (300+40) / 100) * 1.62 ~= 1,754

Average Damage per shuriken = 3,832

Of course, that doesn't factor in the CB or 50% bonus from Decrepify, but still, if you put the Infinity on a Might merc, boost CM to lvl 30, and use the following

Weapon: plain white Suwayyah
    Shield: Tiamat's socketed with 1x 40%ed jewel
    Armor: Fortitude
    Helm: Guillaume's socketed with 1x 40%ed jewel
    Boots: Gore Riders
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath

Edit: Forgot CS! -- 22+(1-22/100)*(32+15+15) = 70% double damage

Weapon Half = ((45.5 * (1 + 1.87 + (151+300+300+40+40) / 100) * 1.7) + 165.5) * 0.75 ~= 773
    Blade Fury Half = 182 * (1 + 1.87 + (151+300+300+40+40) / 100) * 1.7 ~= 3,459

Average Damage per shuriken = 4,231

That's the power of ed% on BF. Even a non-magic, non-eth Suwayyah outdamages you. If you're not going to boost BF with %ed items and skills, there's no point maxing it at all.

----------
    The character file and Conviction tests will have to wait till tomorrow, because it's really late.

IncGamers Site Pal crawlingdeadman's Avatar

outstanding work

Have you ever tried to use blade fury in pvp against someone with chilling armor? It's pretty funny, but exactly how does that work?

Also check this out. I found this jewel this season. Too bad I gave this shield away to Skyjuice. It was sick on my talon/fury. I was wondering how a perfect jewel of same type would compare against that 4x40ed shield.

IncGamers Member

Ceramic Weasel, what follows may lighten your workload, although hopefully you'll still test to confirm it in case somebody made a mistake:

• Claw Mastery's +% to Attack Rating (the passive_mastery_melee_th stat) doesn't apply to Blade Fury, but +% AR from other sources does: TitanSeal reported this in the Amazon Basin's Assassin Room in July 2008, and subsequent tests confirmed that CM's +% AR did apply to Blade Sentinel and Shield.

• CM's Critical Strike, CS or Deadly Strike apply to both the weapon and skill damage of all three Blade skills.

• Weapon damage penalties apply to physical, magic, fire, lightning, cold and poison weapon damage, and cold (but not poison) length for all three Blade skills.

• Weapon damage penalties don't apply to the skill damage of Blade Sentinel and Fury, but Blade Shield's 1/4 penalty is applied to its skill damage: however, the further 1/2 weapon damage penalty when equipping two-handed weapons only applies to Blade Sentinel and Fury, not Blade Shield.

• Off-weapon +% Enhanced Damage applies to the skill damage of Blade Sentinel and Fury, but not that of Blade Shield: +% ED from attributes (Strength and Dexterity) is only applied to skill damage when a weapon is equipped.

• +% to Poison Skill Damage is applied to Venom when cast just as +% to Fire Skill Damage is applied to Enchant, but +% to Skill Damage isn't then applied to any elemental and poison weapon damage applied by Blade Sentinel and Fury: however, it is applied to any elemental and poison weapon damage applied by Blade Shield.

• A Grief 'EthTirLoMalRal' Phase Blade's Damage +340-400 isn't applied by Blade Sentinel or Fury, but it is applied by Blade Shield.
    All of that is based on tests of actual damage, not damage displayed by the character screen.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by onderduiker View Post
    [*]Claw Mastery's +% to Attack Rating (the passive_mastery_melee_th stat) doesn't apply to Blade Fury, but +% AR from other sources does
    Does %damage apply, or have I just wasted 12 skill points :|

(Woot! Hit lvl 50 HC Furysin last night!!!)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcoe View Post
    Great write-up, very interesting. One other weapon to consider: I always considered Schaefer's Hammer tailor made for a BF-sin, with the +max damage, CtC static field, and the big AR bonus. Maybe not quite a Death ettin, but pretty darn good...

yes can we get a schaefers hammer test result!!

IncGamers Member

Update:
    - Schaefer's Hammer test results
    - Tested Azurewrath again
    - Comment on Famine

Few of these weapons will perform as well as the top dogs because they're missing two key factors:
    • Deadly Strike
    • Off-weapon %ed (ie. Claw Mastery, Aura)

When you max out BF, it becomes far more beneficial to boost that half of the equation (like with CM), than trying to boost the weapon-half, which suffers the 3/4 penalty. CB and Static work better in PvM, but I can't test that with the same level of accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Damric View Post
    I was wondering how a perfect jewel of same type would compare against that 4x40ed shield.
    Elemental jewels are almost certainly less effective because of the 3/4 penalty, whereas the damage gained from %ed jewels only suffer that on the weapon-half. That said, with high levels of BF, Moser's socketed with 2x 40%ed jewels will likely net more damage than Tiamat's socketed with 1.

Quote Originally Posted by onderduiker View Post
    Ceramic Weasel, what follows may lighten your workload, although hopefully you'll still test to confirm it in case somebody made a mistake:
    Thanks onderduiker. If I'd known there was a topic on it at the Amazon Basin I probably wouldn't have bothered with such meticulous testing. I've already confirmed nearly all of those Fury observations, but at least I won't need to be so thorough if I ever get around to testing Blade Sentinel.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelix View Post
    Does %damage apply, or have I just wasted 12 skill points :|
    Yes it applies. It's right there in the test results

The character file for the 10k Furysin is available here. It's in a .zip because the host wouldn't allow the .d2s to upload for some bizarre reason. I've never shared D2 character files before, so I hope that works.

IncGamers Member

Cool - thanks for the update. At what level did you try Schaefer's?

Also, in my experience with BF (all as a 1-point wonder, though this analysis will soon change that), AR problems are a major limiting factor to its effectiveness. Has this been your experience too? I like Schaefers because of the huge AR boost, thus reducing the dependence on angelics, etc. I'd love to see your thoughts about AR issues in non-claw weapons...

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcoe View Post
    Cool - thanks for the update. At what level did you try Schaefer's?

Also, in my experience with BF ... AR problems are a major limiting factor to its effectiveness. Has this been your experience too? ... I'd love to see your thoughts about AR issues in non-claw weapons...
    All tests were with a lvl 90 Assassin.

AR is a huge issue, even on Claws, seeing as how the +%AR from CM doesn't work with BF. This is why I value ITD on weapons so much, even if it means losing a bit of damage, and for bosses and champs I make sure my merc is around catching them in that lvl 12 Conviction aura. It's a bit inconvenient when he dies, though.

Another alternative might be a high damage Fool's claw, combined with a Visionary (+1-99%AR) helm/circlet, but I haven't tried this yet.