Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: How do I defeat Diablo? He kills me and my team in 1 hit.

There are a few things you can do:
    - run particular areas for XP
    - runes, gems etc to put in items
    - get an act 2 merc
    - gamble. I'd try to gamble for weapons: polearms / spears for your merc and whatever you want to use. gloves, boots, helms and belts aren't too expensive. body armor tends to cost too much to gamble for.

If you're trying to make runewords like Stealth and Steel, you should probably pick up every rune you find. If you a lot of one kind, just cube up using the horadric cube recipe:
    3 El Runes -> 1 Eld Rune
    3 Eld Runes -> 1 Tir Rune
    3 Tir Runes -> 1 Nef Rune
    3 Nef Runes -> 1 Eth Rune
    3 Eth Runes -> 1 Ith Rune
    3 Ith Runes -> 1 Tal Rune
    3 Tal Runes -> 1 Ral Rune
    3 Ral Runes -> 1 Ort Rune
    3 Ort Runes -> 1 Thul Rune
    (source: arreat summit)

Socketed items could be anywhere. I'd recommend Chaos Sanctuary if you can handle it (you can get exceptional items sometimes, not just normal--the damage boost will be useful), but otherwise, anywhere is fine.

IncGamers Member

Hi all.

I am now level 31, with 2 points on summon grizzly. I am still unable to defeat diablo. He wipes my grizzly out in a few hits and absolutley destroys me, I cant attack him because I am for ever drinking potions.
    I have 75 + fire rest and 25 + lighting resist. And I am still using the maul, which is high damage and fairly fast.
    I'm out of ideas. I've collected some runes and that but I'd really like to defeat himn.

IncGamers Member

train a bit more? - I'm a necromancer and my tactic was very simple: just let the merc do the job and teleport every other hit out again..

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by pearce View Post
    Hi all.

I am now level 31, with 2 points on summon grizzly. I am still unable to defeat diablo. He wipes my grizzly out in a few hits and absolutley destroys me, I cant attack him because I am for ever drinking potions.
    I have 75 + fire rest and 25 + lighting resist. And I am still using the maul, which is high damage and fairly fast.
    I'm out of ideas. I've collected some runes and that but I'd really like to defeat himn.
    Do you have the werewolf skill called Feral Rage and Fury? If you do, try looking for 2x Cathan's Seal rings which gives a total of 12% life leech combined. You can try Andariel to find that, but they drop fairly often so no worries you'll find one soon enough. Add that with a low level (1skillpoint is sufficient) Feral Rage will give you somewhere around 20%? life leech. Feral Rage will also give you a small run/walk bonus to help you evade the lightning hose of death.

The Fury skill gives you multiple attacks on a single click, thus giving you ample life gain when combined with Feral Rage (Fury on left mouse and Feral Rage on right mouse) Hit Diablo with Feral a few times till the red orb glows brightly and then Fury him. With a high lightning and fire resist, you just might be able to leech enough life off him to continue standing there taking hits and slowly chipping away at his life.

About your resistances, I prefer maxed lighting over fire resists when fighting Big D if you can't have both maxed. Especially when going melee against him. Keep in mind what i just said is in addition to all the other advice given to you. You'll need ALL of them to get past Diablo.

With that said, i was suprised at how much "studying" i needed to do before i can kick butt in D2 when i first picked up this game. It comes naturally for those with D2 experience but for first timers it might be off putting. I know many friends who gave up because they couldn't get past Diablo on their first try. But don't let it stop you pearce.

Hope this helps and good luck!

IncGamers Member

thankyou all so much. I have now defeated diablo, and am just starting on the first quest of the 5th act. what do you all reckon about the barbarian mercenary? Should I use him or keep the desert one?

IncGamers Member

In my humble opinion, to beat Normal Diablo with an untwinked character you need to focus on your tecnique.

In my way of seing it, you have two choices:

1) Rely on your merc and try to keep Diablo distracted. Get the best weapon you can for the merc, the savage polearm recipe it's a good choice. If the merc doesn't have the necessary strenght just get some socketed armor (up to three open sockets) and helm (up to two open sockets) and fill those with ametists.
    Then keep summoning Grizzly in the opposite side where the merc is attacking. Diablo, just like other bosses, usually focus his attacks on summons. He probabily will pulverize the grizzly with one attack, but if you keep summon the bear, Diablo will keep attack him, leaving your merc free to pock him to death. You should need to get a lot of mana potions from the vendors.

2) Attack Diablo. Get some weapon with nice mods. Steel runeword it's dirty cheap (Tir+El runes) and it's fast if you do it with a 2 socketed flail (you can buy this at Fara's in Act 2). It was a great mod, 50% chance open wounds. Open wounds its a fixed damage based on your level that last for 8 seconds. So you just need to pock Diablo a few time until he starts to bleed (you can see the piles of blood falling around him) and run away from him. Don't try to tank Diablo, even with max resists, because those elemental attacks are very, very strong and eat your life away very quickly.

Don't forget to lower your player settings. You might be doing some runs at higher players settings to level/find stuff and even you save&exit and enter a new game, the player settings keeps the same...
    Also you can attack and drink potions at the same time. Just hit the 1, 2, 3 or 4 key to drink a potion when you're attacking. You can also feed health potion to your merc by holding shift + 1,2,3 or 4.

Don't stress if you die a few times (just keep a Town Portal open a bit away from Diablo everytime you try to kill him). Every new player strungles a lot with Diablo. Keep trying and you'll suceed! Good Luck

EDIT: Too Late! Congratz for your achivement! Act 2 merc are usually better because their auras.

IncGamers Site Pal
    BattleTag moiselvus-2403

congratulations!

The barb mercenaries are pretty good, they have more hp than the others and regen it faster so they usually can take more of a beating, however, the act 2 mercenary's have their aura's, wich is why they're the most used mercenaries. In my experience an act 2 merc will always help, but an act 5 one will need pretty good gear to be usefull in hell... Hell's pretty far away for you though, so it doesn't really matter now, they can all be usefull to you.

it really depends on your needs. As your a melee build, i suppose you don't need a great tank, so the desert merc is better for you (I'd say a prayer merc, as your melee skills should give you enough ar and defence is -like previously said- not all that usefull)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by pearce View Post
    thankyou all so much. I have now defeated diablo, and am just starting on the first quest of the 5th act. what do you all reckon about the barbarian mercenary? Should I use him or keep the desert one?
    Just curious. How did you managed to beat him?

IncGamers Member

Hi all.

The runes I have so far are - Nef, ith and Tir.
    Can I make any good weapons for myself out of those?
    Are their any weapons I can make similar to the polearm recipe? High damage mauls or swords combined with runes maybe?
    Any good weapon that would beat my current one would be great.

Also, with attack rating, what does it actually do? I notice it doesnt increase a weapons damage, what does it do? Make them hit more often or something?