Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member Medievaldragon's Avatar

What would you like in a Wildstorm Diablo III Comic Book?

Ok, my experimental blogging/speculation venture didn't go so well. So I will stick to my fortè ... Lore. I have been in contact with DC Comics / Wildstorm for over a year now. Interviewed Walter Simonson (WoW writer), Ludo Lullabi (WoW artist) and Ben Abernathy (Starcraft Editor). DC Comics was kind to provide 225 StarCraft posters to giveaway. Leord has a StarCraftWire Challenge every week to give those away to fans. We have gotten exclusive preview scans. I met and interviewed Chris Metzen and Micky Neilson (Blizzard Creative Team) -- the Diablo III lore head-honchos -- at the New York Comic Con. I have open communication with these folks, and it would be a waste not to get the community involved.

I would like this Diablo III community to share their feedback and to get a discussion going concerning a possible Diablo Comic Book. All you have to do is to answer the following questions. Based on the feedback, I will forward it to DC Comics and Chris Metzen & Micky Neilson as a petition to see what happens. Diablo III will be in development for a while. And the fans who enjoy the lore as much as the gameplay might want to absorb as much as Blizzard gives out in printed media that expands the Diablo universe and that ties-in with Diablo II and Diablo III.

Imagine a comic book that -- doesn't necessarily spoils the Diablo III single player, but has to do with the past as much as the present. It's been 20 years since the Worldstone was destroyed -- so we could get some fill in blanks on what happened in those initial years after. We could probably see characters from the books show up in this comic book and see flashbacks from the novels, Diablo 1 or Diablo II.

1. Have you read the Dark Horse Diablo Comic Book? If the answer is yes, what did you like the most?
    2. Would you subscribe to a Diablo III Ongoing Series by DC/Wildstorm Comics?
    3. Would you like Diablo limited series (4-6 issues) based on certain time-frames of the Diablo universe, or from Diablo II Acts? If so, specify what you would love to read about (Petitions welcome).
    4. Which main character or characters would you like to see in a comic book?
    5. Which DC/Wildstorm comic book writers or artists would you like to see or think may fit perfectly in such a project?
    6. Your heart's desire: Additional freestyle feedback.

Last edited by Medievaldragon; 07-05-2009 at 19:44.

IncGamers Member

Re: What would you like in a Wildstorm Diablo III Comic Book?

1. Yes. I liked the Druid story the most, especially when he bursts into a rage when he is overwhelmed and totaly destroys the minions of destruction.

2. Probably, I try to collect everything from the Diablo franchise.

3. Yeah, well I love to read anything about it. Because I think the Lore in Diablo is smaller than in Starcraft or Warcraft, but only because less is told about it yet. So any more information is welcome.

4. I liked the characters Zayl with his skull Humbart and Salene.

5. The art of the Starcraft War Thorn looks okay for Diablo aswell in my opinion.

6. Not sure what my hearts desire is about this, but it would be nice if they start it for Diablo aswell.

I'm not the best to answer this, since i occasionally read comics, but usually after downloading them, since I'm a dirty thief. I don't know which company makes the ones i read; I don't pay attention to that. Nor do I have any favorite authors/artists; don't pay attention to that either.

Shameful disclaimer aside, I'd love to see some D3 comics. I still have a copy of the old D2X "Tales of Sanctuary" comic, and while it's a stand alone one-off, without any canon or lore value, it's fun to look through once in a while.

For D3, I think they should do what HGL did with their comics. Prequel info, set up the world state/story, lead into the action, etc. With various new character types in the game, and 20 years of story between the end of D2X and the start of D3, there's a ton of material to plumb and flesh out. It would be nice to see comics that brought us up to speed on the story, introduced the new characters, etc.

--Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

IncGamers Member Medievaldragon's Avatar

I agree there with Flux. Blizzard is fleshing out the story for Starcraft II with Christie Golden's StarCraft: The Dark Templar trilogy, Graham McNeill's StarCraft: I, Mengsk and the upcoming William C Dietz's StarCraft: Heaven's Devils which explore the background between Jim Raynor and Tychus Findlay's friendship.

Diablo III does need more printed media. I would love to learn more about the Barbarians, the necromancers, Deckard Cain, and other characters. More background about the Angiris Council, Inarius and Lilith.

Comic books are very flexible. They can be set in the present. Writers can include flashbacks of past events, and make a twist with present stuff. I love that format a lot.

I am a subscriber of the WoW Comics since issue # 1. I will subscribe to the Starcraft comics, and would love a Diablo comics too. Before that, I was an avid Xmen comics reader with over 1,600 issues from various x-team titles.

Banned

Ah! Great you are back to your former self MedievalDragon.
    Have been enjoying your and Flux articles a lot and always looked up to the Articles section as a mature and very interesting reading and debate. Just so that you understand I do look up to you guys.

Here's my answers...

1. Have you read the Dark Horse Diablo Comic Book? If the answer is yes, what did you like the most?

I suppose you mean the "Diablo, Tales of Sanctuary" comic. I did read it. Have it in a box somewhere. However, the question is what I didn't like about it, since there is nothing in it I liked. So, if it would be useful this type of information, just holler.

Almost certainly. It would depend on the end result. But I do trust DC/Ws on about anything. So the answer is almost certainly.

3. Would you like Diablo limited series (4-6 issues) based on certain time-frames of the Diablo universe, or from Diablo II Acts? If so, specify what you would love to read about (Petitions welcome).

I am not sure really. Tough one... I guess I'd rather see one of three things:

- A game character centered story. Every issue one Diabo 2 act and one Diablo 2 character. The 6th issue being a Diablo 1 homage with a 3 character party from the original Diablo 1 playable characters.

- The same as above, but using a party of x characters. 3, 4 characters.

- A lore series, inspired not on the game directly but from the Sin Wars trilogy

Barbarian for it's influence in the game. Necromancer for its influence in the lore.

5. Which DC/Wildstorm comic book writers or artists would you like to see or think may fit perfectly in such a project?

Rather than providing names since I would have trouble doing that, I'll request a style: Dark, looming, decadent tone and environments. Complex characters battling their own fears and inner demons as they keep on winning the physical wars but losing their minds in the process. Clear silhouette on monsters and a care to their drawing with a focus on their abhorrent shapes and evil nature. Mature audience.

A limited hardcover edition sometime later packing all the issues into one, along with the artist(s) and writer(s) words on The Making Of.

IncGamers Member

Questions:
    6. Your heart’s desire: Additional freestyle feedback.

Answers:
    1. Yes, I believe I liked the paladin story the most where he continued his journey to destroy the corrupted Zakarum.

2. Yes I would.

3. Definitely, Diablo has just as many good story possibilities if not more then the WarCraft universe. For time line I think expanding upon act three comic series would be interesting. Also a seriers that focued on the time frame between Diablo 1 and 2. Also comic series focus around the Horidum would be very cool.

4. Diablo 1 Warrior, Tyreal, Horidum members.

5. I don't really know any by name, but I feel any anime styled art is not fitting and would not be the correct choice for a Diablo comic series.

6. Just to recap the point that the timelines between Diablo 1 and 2 would make a great story. Follow the Warrior as he increasingly goes insane. Show what happened to the other heros that fought Diablo in Tristram (the Rogue "Bloodraven" and the Sorcerer. Also all the battles and journeys the Horidum had with the 3 prime evils when they originally came. Also I think a dark Gothic realistic style art would fit best. Perhaps like the Dark Knight comics.

IncGamers Member GuardianHadriel's Avatar
    BattleTag namesOnkeL-2763

1.nope.
    2.anything that has even just a slight connection to Diablo.
    3.yeah, i´d like to read of the intence fights agianst the prime evils and the journey of deckard cain.
    4.The paladins pursuit of divine justice and his sorrow of loosing his friends and belief to Mephistos mindtwisting powers.
    5.no idea.
    6.THE PALADIN.(including him as a class in d3).

-No.

-No, i would probably buy the first one just to keep it.

-I would like side stories in the world of sanctuary... like how the necromancer became like that, and what happened to him after the events ofdiablo 2. Infact, a whole series about the necromancer would be nice, it can be funny also with jokes about his summons and his mental issues...

-The necromancer from diablo 2, the warrior from diablo 1, the assasin from the expansion.

-I dont know their names.

-I would like to see a successfull diablo 2 comics, with a little darker pictures than usual, with a great art style, and good plots. Please dont ruin the diablo world with a lame comic book.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope i helped

Last edited by jamoose; 07-05-2009 at 23:09.

I have not.

Absolutely!

Well, I'm sure since we're in the forums we've all played through the acts. I'd prefer to read about lore I'm less familiar with (pretty much all).

If it's a timeline between D2 and D3, I would love to see the barbarian that we'll see in D3. It'd be nice to know how Tyreal plays a role in the transition as well.

no idea

It would be great to read why certain classes were on the endless quest to stop diablo. Does the necromancer and assassin's clan have ulterior motives to their agenda? Does the barbarian have something to prove? Backstory is always fun

Diablo: IncGamers Member AkumaSlayer's Avatar

No. I didn't know there was one already.

Yes, but only if I enjoyed the first issue.

I like the idea about basing them on the DII acts. But there should be a good side story, like some arguments among the characters.

The Necromancer would make a good main character, and maybe the Paladin. Maybe they could fight at some point in the adventure? I can imagine seeing the Paladin accidentally killing all of the Necromancers minions in the dungeons, and the Necromancer retaliating.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    Rather than providing names since I would have trouble doing that, I'll request a style: Dark, looming, decadent tone and environments. Complex characters battling their own fears and inner demons as they keep on winning the physical wars but losing their minds in the process. Clear silhouette on monsters and a care to their drawing with a focus on their abhorrent shapes and evil nature. Mature audience.

Good storyline, lots of plot twists and plenty of action.