Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    IncGamers Member

Re: How to make Energy Shield work for you

For pvm I would stack up on physical integer damage reduction; use the Sol. Elemental damage isn't subject to all the horrible (might/extra strong/fanat/extra fast/amp) conditions that physical damage has; you only have to worry about conviction, and with an es sorc (and on top of that, a bear's hp) that isn't much to worry about.

My ~90% es zeal sorc with 20/20 + sol Gbane could tank lister's pack as long as they didn't spawn with manaburn.

Quote Originally Posted by hubb View Post
    Indeed it does
    I stumled upon the following information from an otherwise irrelevant guide:

"If a sorceress wants to improve the Skillevels of Werebear and Lycanthropy [granted from the runeword "beast"] the only things that work are items with +Skills to all Charclasses. For example wearing an anni will give you Slv 4 werebear and Lycanthophy, while wearing a druid torch or sorc torch doesn’t add to the Slvl’s."

Doesn't this conflict what you just told me?

From what I've been told in this thread, any +skills relating to ES should increase its skill level, but according to the above claim, only +all skills would affect it.

Which one is it?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zoi View Post
    I stumled upon the following information from an otherwise irrelevant guide:

"If a sorceress wants to improve the Skillevels of Werebear and Lycanthropy [granted from the runeword "beast"] the only things that work are items with +Skills to all Charclasses. For example wearing an anni will give you Slv 4 werebear and Lycanthophy, while wearing a druid torch or sorc torch doesn’t add to the Slvl’s."

Doesn't this conflict what you just told me?

From what I've been told in this thread, any +skills relating to ES should increase its skill level, but according to the above claim, only +all skills would affect it.

-------------------

To others: did I word that right? I know how it works, but..

Which one is it?
    +Sorc and +Lightning skills add to ES because ES is a class skill for sorcs, not Oskill (a skill from an item that works for ANY class using the item, like BO from CTA, Teleport from Enigma, and Werebear from Beast).

Oskills (stuff granted by Beast & company) only get +skills from items that affect all classes.

Skills from staffmods (necromancer wands, barb hats, sorc orbs/staffs, etc) get bonuses from ALL +skills that could affect them.

Werebear and Lycanthropy aren't sorc skills... ES is.

And +class/tab skills only work on characters with that class/tab.

So every sorc skill (with hard or soft points) will get bonus from tab/class/all skills.
    Every non-sorc skill (soft points only ^^) will get bonus from all skills only.

IncGamers Member

Thanks, Karth. I'm trying to plan her to take advantage of two unique defensive abilities of the Bearsorc (lycanthropy & mana regen). Effectively, this means she benefits from big life and big mana, so the trick is to find a nice balance to where she can enjoy a red bulb, but have her blue bulb absorbing the bulk of the "harassing damage". With my +skills, and gear I should get +135% Life and +105% Mana w/o CtA. The bigger the blue bulb the faster the regen, the bigger the red bulb the better off she is against mana burn or high damage situations.

I also might try to facilitate life leech with damage/IAS jewels in my PB giving me about 400 physical damage a hit. This presents the debacle between Drac's or Frostburn. Drac's could give me real nice health (granted w/ procing problems), but frostburns would give me about 370 more mana and therefore 13 more mana/sec (equivalent to slvl 20 prayer). I'm thinking that drac's will create a nice balance where both orbs are filling regularly, even if the going gets rough. But I think testing is in order.

@Zoi. That's correct. Any +skill that you get from an item can be boost by any relevant +skill item. The key is that ES from a staff is already a sorc skill so any +sorc skills will help that ES if you are a sorc. Looking at Beast's Werebear, however, +sorc skills (from torch, say) doesn't apply because it's not a sorc skill, but +all skills would. Another example, if you're a sorc BO from CtA is affected by your Anni, but not your Torch. If you're a Barbarian (w/o any hard skills in BO), your Anni and your Torch will affect your BO.
    *Exception 1: +class skill is limited to +3 per mod if the skill is native to your class. Ex. Barb's get +3 BO, BC, and BCry Max from one CtA. Zon's get +3 to Valk Max from Harmony.
    *Exception 2: If you're another class you can't benefit from +class skills from another class. Ex. A sorc using a barb torch would get her CtA boosted by the Torch. (I'm pretty sure on that one, even though it doesn't say (Barbarian Only) like most +class specific skills do).

IncGamers Member

Clervis I'm not sure how much 400 average damage will help even with life tap, but combined with some pdr and mdr like you're thinking it might work. I would still cube BO though; that extra 60% mana is more than worth it if you're gonna go ES... and since you're then carrying cube, you can keep an extra soj or a maras or whatever in there to help boost BO/werebear/chant/es etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Clervis View Post
    *Exception 1: +class skill is limited to +3 per mod if the skill is native to your class. Ex. Barb's get +3 BO, BC, and BCry Max from one CtA. Zon's get +3 to Valk Max from Harmony.
    This is only for Oskills: if the item doesn't grant the skill to any class using it, it isn't giving +Oskill and you can run up to whatever silly amount it allows. Ex: +3 bone spear base White wand gives necs +5 spear without a problem.

Thanks Nulio and Karth!

BattleTag What Me Worry?

The best method I found is not to point it unless your build is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    The best method I found is not to point it unless your build is about it.
    The best method I found is to 1pt ES always unless you focus on synergising it. I always use it, in both SC and HC