I wana bring this up because in diablo 2 the items have clearly insufficient stats. I always recall my newb days when I was act2 normal looking for a sword that had a 15% edam mod and I basically spent hours trying to get gear that by far was unable to beat duriel unless I died like 25x.
The whole game is centered on getting gear, and that's not because I cant beat the game without gear no, I can go naked and beat the game, but I'll die so many times that my finger would get sore from pressing the esc key but I will beat the game. You can picture me at hell baal doing a 2k blizzard on him then dying, taking tp again making another tp making another blizz die again, for about 45x then I will win.
The problem is that it's annoying to die all the time because the gear cant hold. For example, the merchand in town sells either 4os jewelers 500def armors or 60 life armors, if you look at them, they are entirely useless. 60life on an item is as good as plain. An item must have:
- Speed ( fcr ias fhr frw)
- Resists ( all res, sorb, dam reduction etc.)
Like fortitude has defense damage resists and fcr so it's a quite good armor. It would be nice if we could buy armors at merchands that are not 300%edam 200@ edef but maby 119%edam 10fcr 90%edef +23 all res +1 to all skills. Or it coud also be 1 all skills 185% edef 135%edam 15fcr +16 all res you get it?
Griffons has skill, damage -25/20, and fcr which makes it a good item so It's another example.
If I could buy a 1 all skills 10fcr 9% to lite skill damage 2os helm at merchand, would make the game more interesting.
So it's bad that the accessible atems are plain and void, compared to the inaccessible uniques who hold ALL the power.
With this kind of items instead of dying like 40x before you beat the game you only die once or twice which makes more sense.
My point is that the items sold at merchands are basically just plain items with no magic enhancements and quite useless and that shouldn't be the case.
So in Diablo 3 I would want to have more equilibrium, not just ware plain items, while the few uniques that are actually good are impossible to come across.
Diablo 2 is a specialist into newb items, Ill give examples:
- 24% plain fhr armors ( you probably die in 1 hit, won't have anything to recover from if your dead lol.)
- 100life armor ( ya with -50res you might consider making it 10 000life to stand a chance)
- poison length reduced by 75% armors. ( seriously)
- +6 to light radius ( yuhooooo! light!)
- +36 to mana, ( I'm sure that's a good reason to ware an armor)
- +30 strength belt (another useless mod)
- Damage or attack rating to demons or undead, (takes alot of space to write but it basically means that the item is as good as plain)
- replenish life +10 ammy. ( wow thats so bm! I would ware one on my bmana sorce...NOT)
- +20 all resists 20strength ring ( makes me thing of the obsidian ring of the zodiac but I guess d1 items won't stand a chance in d2)
- Causes monster to flee. ( this one is good, I have a 10-68 hydra bow but monsters run away from me, I may need 40 shots to kill one but oh well)
- Fools mod, ( very useful especially on a 70damage zerk)
The list goes on for ever, problem is, if the mods are not: skill resists speed damage defense, the mods are useless, as good as plain.
People may ask, dude how come a 25res ammy is better then a 100life ammy. Easy to reason:
you have 34res with 100life ammy and 1600life
and 59 res with 25res ammy and 1500 life
If souls hit you with lite, you have 34% dr in the first case, as if you had 2424 life with 0 res
In the second case you have 1500life with 59dr, as if you had 3658 life with 0res.
For the ammy to be as good as the 25 res it must have 1000life.
I mean a 1000life ammy looks hacked...but if you have no res, it's useless.