Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Poison damage calculator.xls

Can I just use Open Office for the Calculator or do I have to purchase Excel?

Last edited by Zorakron; 25-07-2010 at 03:01.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zorakron View Post
    Can I just use Open Office for the Calculator or do I have to purchase Excel?
    OpenOffice works just fine as an alternative to Excel and it's FREE!

IncGamers Member

I'm curious about something here. My understanding of Poison Dagger was that the rate of all other sources was added to the rate of pdagger, such that the duration could never be less than the base duration of pdagger alone. The calculator however, seems to count pdagger and just another source. am I misreading something here?

IncGamers Member

The poison damage rates of items and Venom add to that of Poison Dagger: rate is damage per unit time, the smallest unit of which is a frame, or 1/25 second. The smallest unit of damage is a bit, or 1/256 point.

However, the length for which this combined rate is applied is calculated by adding the lengths of all items to that of PD, then dividing by the number of items. This means that with a sufficient number of items with short lengths, the calculated length may actually be less than that of PD, which can result in less total poison damage (even though more poison damage is applied per frame).

When Venom is applied then length is just that of PD and Venom since Venom overrides poison lengths of items. Also bear in mind that -% Enemy Poison Resistance can increase poison length.

I'll add some links to the opening post which may prove useful in understanding how poison works.

IncGamers Member

ok, damn, that is different than the way I remember it being. I need to rethink my daggermancer that I'm playing right now then. Here I've been saving up all my toxic small charms (and various poison pre & suffix small charms like a toxic small charm of anthrax) since I thought duration would always be at least the length of pdagger. so do I need to cast venom to use multiple sources or are they still not worth it?

Note, I am not soloing, my partner is playing a lightning zon so I'm more for support & dealing with lightning immunes

IncGamers Member

Ideally Venom should be cast since it significantly increases damage rate and guarantees that poison length will be at least that of Poison Dagger plus Venom's 10 frames. The most accessible and reliable source would be a Treachery rune word armour's 25% Chance to Cast Level 15 Venom on Striking.

Poison damage items will always increase damage rate, but when compared to the damage rate of PD and Venom it isn't really worth going out of your way to equip them. However, in the absence of Venom I'd advise using the calculator to see the effects of adding poison damage items: start with the item with the longest length and add items with progressively shorter lengths until your total damage is less than PD alone (although you'll almost certainly find that equipping the longest length item alone will result in maximum total damage).

IncGamers Member

hello everybody
    i just found the last piece a trangoul's avatar, which made me respec my bonemancer into a poisonmancer...
    then i tried using treachery instead of trangouls armor for venom (i use blackbog and no other source of poison
    but i tried on mephisto and it seems that casting venom before changes very little the damage (about 3/4 of his life) so nothing close to the huge bitrate addition everybody talks about... is venom really compatible with pdagger ? looks like it does not.

IncGamers Member

Mephisto has 94,320 base life in Ladder and single player games, and Poison Resist 75%: level 40 Poison Dagger with 40 points in synergy skills, Blackbog's Sharp Unique Cinquedeas, +25% Poison Skill Damage, level 10 Lower Resist and -25% Enemy Poison Resistance applies 64,097-65,848 poison damage over 34.48 seconds to him at an approximate rate of 1,859-1,910 per second.

Casting level 15 Venom with +25% PSD results in 69,911-72,897 poison damage over 22.48 seconds to him (so only approximately 10% more total damage) at an approximate rate of 3,110-3,243 per second (approximately 69% more). Although only 10% more total damage is applied, it takes 12 seconds less to do so.

Casting Venom can allow you to equip Rainbow Facet Unique Jewels, the only other -% EPR source available when using PD, without their 2 second poison length adversely affecting poison length and thus total damage. Add 4 average Jewels (+16% PSD and -16% EPR for +41%/-41% in total) and without Venom only 25,409-26,070 poison damage over 10 seconds is applied at an approximate rate of 2,541-2,607 per second; with level 15 Venom, 110,954-115,680 poison damage over 25.36 seconds is applied at an approximate rate of 4,375-4,562 per second, which would kill Mephisto at base life with a single stab.

IncGamers Member

Is the poison nova damage messed up? I've entered 20 poison dagger | 20 poison explosion | 20 poison nova, and only get 356 - 390 poison damage over 2 seconds O_O , explain me please if I did it wrong...

IncGamers Member

It seems like you put 20 in the Level column for the Poison Dagger, Poison Explosion and Poison Nova rows: put 40 in the Synergy column for the Poison Nova row to apply the synergy bonus of 40 points in Poison Dagger and Poison Explosion.

Level 20 Poison Nova currently displays 400-440 Poison Damage Over 2 Seconds, so you're also using the calculator for patch 1.12: if you're playing patch 1.13 then you'll need to download the updated calculator attached to the opening post.