A Very Simple Tourney: The Piles of Money Tourney!
Various discussions of goldfinding methods and techniques suggest that it's time for a very simple tourney. The object is to get as much gold as possible in a 30 minute continuous stretch of play.
- All classes allowed, but anyone with any sense expects barbs to excel.
- All areas permitted, but most people would expect the Hell Council to be the best for gold hauling.
- No multi-player- it's just your character and a bank account.
- Existing characters of HC/SC, any version are eligible, and Vanilla/RRM/RWM/CRM are allowed.
- Get your character ready to go, set a timer, play for 30 minutes, and calculate the total gold accumulated at the end of 30 minutes.
- Any player setting may be used, at any time.
- Save and exit is allowed.
- TPing from the belt is allowed.
- Killing monsters at /players 1 and popping chests at /players 8 is allowed. (For once! But it won't do you much good.)
- Dying is allowed. But there isn't any money to be made there.
Rules and timing:
- Spend all the time you want building, equipping, and preparing your character.
- When ready for an effort, look at a clock, begin playing and gathering gold by any means possible.
- No selling of prepurchased items, but selling of items found in the 30 minute period is permitted.
- ATMA and GoMule are permitted only for the purposes of removing gold from your character, and their use counts towards your 30 minute timed effort.
- No suspending of time- if the phone rings or a puppy starts eating your shoes, you can either ignore it or deal with it as part of your 30 minute effort.
- Multiple efforts are permitted.
- Multiple characters are permitted, but each effort can use only a single character.
- Adjusting gear and strategy is permitted and encouraged.
- Any partial effort counts as a full effort and should be reported. Good faith efforts should be made to complete efforts once begun. Interrupting an effort out of frustration or a bad string of drops is not good form.
- Gold totals are from gold picked up plus any gold from vendors obtained by selling items to them. Any item not sold to a vendor doesn't count towards your accumulated gold. The time spent selling items counts towards the 30 minute limit.
- Costs of resurrecting mercs, deaths, repairing items, potions and other supplies must be deducted from accumulated gold, if any of these expenses are incurred.
Just to be clear: any method of accumulating gold is permitted. If you want to pick up chipped gems and minor mana potions with a new level 1 character in the normal Blood Moor and sell them to Akara, that is fine. There are probably faster ways of accumulating gold, though!
- Keep track of the gold on your character when you start your effort.
- At the end of the effort, count the gold on your character and muled off during your effort.
- Subtract your original gold on the character from your accumulated gold. That's it!
- Keep track of your best 30 minute effort, and record the number of efforts made. If desired, you can keep track of average gold found over a number of efforts with the same character and equipment.
- zerth's ScroogeMcDuck's thread about his recently built GF barb, the inspiration for this tourney: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=710153
- Jaedhann's GF barb build: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s....php?p=6732044
- Sirpoopsalot's GF barb: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=706478
- Discussions about GF barb issues: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=700509 and http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=429001
- A GF build guide using Leap for stun: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=694333
- A gratuitous link to a nice AJK barb writeup: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=487923 (for a while AJK's signature had "Largest gold pile horked: 68536" but I couldn't find a writeup for that one.)
- InsaneWayne's "Descendants of Midas" tourney, which had a GF theme but many limitations: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=668837
- I don't actually have a decent dedicated GF barb at the moment, so I'm hoping to use this as an impetus to build one. I have a 1.07 horker for NM council runs there, but that's mostly for charms, getting crafting runes and jewels and is not focused on gold. I'm hoping to learn from the experts and build a proper GF barb!
- Descriptions of builds, targets and techniques are welcome!
- Of course, the idea is to balance maximizing GF% with maximizing killing speed.
- If there is sufficient interest, separating the tables into divisions may be warranted, and suggestions are welcome. Barbs/non-barbs or SC/HC are natural potential divisions.
- When you sign up or report a score, give at least a brief description of your build and plan.
- If you are having trouble spending all the gold you get, I suggest gambling!
- None yet, but I'm sure there are things I forgot to mention and I can put them here later when I realize my mistakes or ambiguities.
Signup and timing
Starting now, and carrying on until June 15th, 2009. Hopefully that will give me enough time to build a reasonably decent GF barb!
No prizes, but for the best single effort, there will be a personalized trophy of some appropriate type. Keeping track of the biggest single pile of gold is also welcome, but for scoring the object is to get the most gold in a 30 minute period.
Good luck to anyone who chooses to join, and may the New Year find us all rolling in piles of gold!Code:| forum name | character | best effort | # efforts | avg. effort | |-----------------|-----------------|--------------|-----------|-------------| |purplelocust | ????? | 0 gp| 0 | 0 |