Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: HK's Structuring For Duels

These days I don't really take much notice of so-called "Dueling Brackets".

1. If you're LLD, you fight other LLDs. It might be unfair, but there really aren't enough people doing it these days to turn down someone who is 1 or 2 level brackets above you. Even if you're level 30, 31, 32 or even 35, you can still have fun duels with level 18 and 24 LLDers. If they beat you, then good for them, if they lose, then they might be inspired to upgrade their gear or try new LLDs.

2. If you're making a regular PvP character, then you can duel with people much higher than you as you level and put gear on. This is one of the coolest things about a PvP character through the mid-levels, you're always getting better and can often come back and beat someone that had rolled over you 10 levels earlier. It may be unfair, but it's all fun, and good experience as well.

I like your description of the last type of duels, it is a bit of a jungle when you have 7 other different builds running around, all madly trying to kill each other. When it's full of BM players, potters, NKers, people who run to town to avoid death, and come back with three friends to team you, it sucks majorly. However, when you get GM players in this type of free-for-all situation, where they actually wait until you;ve finished your current fight before attacking you, it's a ton of fun.

IncGamers Member

all completely true. 100% agree with your entire post,

my thread was just for finally some standardized system for what can be considered what is a "fair or even" match-up between two characters.

but as u say, d2 and thus pvp, is dwindling, being a ~9 year old game. also, there's always teh challenge of trying some one more lvls than u. it's also hard to find people within your "group" anyways. And, when dueling u rarely care for this standardized system.

i just threw this idea of a standard system out there, due to all the arguing i have read about duels and all the different ideas everyone has for duel systems. i made a thread that if people like it (my idea and others' contriubtions) of a duel system it can become the standard or at least a base-foundation for a standardized duel system for those who are interested.

I collect ears with my LLD nec and see the highest levels I can shamelessly destroy.

How is it atm in the LLD scene, are the characters fully quest boosted from normal to hell?

Quote Originally Posted by TraderScope View Post
    How is it atm in the LLD scene, are the characters fully quest boosted from normal to hell?
    Depending on your level of commitment and/or effort, they are normally boosted as much as possible.

However, you can still have a bit of casual LLD with out all the bonus Q's.

IncGamers Member IsThisNamePermanent's Avatar

Level 30 is not low level dueling, I didn't bother to read anything past original post.

How to respond...

Get over it?

You can't be that "elite" just to ignore an entire post based on one opinion that has just as many people for it as against it. No offense intended but maybe you just need to accept that everyone does not agree with you or really care about this particular issue

IncGamers Member

I don't like it.

IncGamers Member

My favorite type of dueling situation [outside of casually sparring with friends] is Manner 1 vs 1, to 5. I feel that it is good test of the viability of your character and your skill at handling it effectively against an oppenent. If you can kill another player's character 5 times in a fair fight before they can do the same to you, its a good indicator that they've been bested by you. Of course, the amount of kills they get on you before you win will show how much of a match they were for you, and additional sets to 5 may be in order to sort out close matches. If I beat someone to 5 three times, though, I usually thank them for duels and excuse myself politely.

The rules of Manner 1 vs 1 point duels [as I see them] are pretty straightforward.

~Any outside aid utilized by your character to heal equals a loss. This means any ablity to regain HP's that a character's skills or equipment do not naturally allow him.

~Returning to town equals a loss. Even if no damage has been dealt.

~No other characters can assist your combatant with the benefit of their skills. No enchant. No BO barb there to buff you. No Din giving auras, etc. Any such assistance constitutes a change in the nature of the match from 1 vs 1 to 2 vs 1. In most cases I will point this out if it becomes an issue and offer the other player the chance to move forward with the match without the assistance of the other character/s. If they refuse, I see it as a sign of bad sportsmanship, weakness, and an admission on their part that they feel they need an unfair advantage to compete with me. I quickly lose the desire to test my characters fairly against theirs, and politely excuse myself.

~Both players must be out of town and both players must have indicated their readiness to begin the round by saying "Go" before a duel can begin. If both players have not said "Go", and damage is dealt, that damage is not a legitimate product of the duel. Both players can return to Akara and the round resests.

First to 5 wins. Rounds ending in mutual deaths are not scored.

Thats really about it...

Everything else is pretty much allowed, unless I'm forgetting something. Any pots you'd like to use, as long as they don't restore HP's are fair game. Any skills are fair game, whether they are overpowered against certain classes or not. Any equipment combination you wish to use is fair game....

This includes the overkill stacking of resistances to negate/diminish the effects of elemental attacks. The way I see it, if the character you are choosing to duel with can be rendered unviable by a simple equipment adjustment by your opponent, then you either need to compensate for that loss of effectiveness through more skillful handling of your character, or accept the loss and change characters. Diablo 2 is a game that is based just as much around its item and equipment system as it is around character classes and skill points. Restricting or placing limitations on possible equipment combinations goes against the heart of the game..

uh-oh...girlfriend home...gotta look like I've been doing something more productive than ranting about this stupid game to the void.

later,

~cody