It's going to take me a while to figure out his exact details relating to the equipment he wears for his 2 remaining jobs, but he just killed Baal, so...
(hopefully the equipment list makes sense)
As I explained recently in TheReadMenace's thread about Pindle runners, this barb was built with 3 purposes in mind. First was to try my Grief+Fortitude on a whirlwind barbarian and quest it through the game.
But since it took a few months to make Grief, I had lots of time to pre-plan this barbarian. When planning the skills, I couldn't think of a "good" 4th skill to dump 20 points in: (Sword) Mastery, Whirlwind, and BattleOrder's are obvious 20 pointers, but none of the others is especially necessary (or useful) for questing through the game. So I decided that I'd throw the excess in Find Item and then figure out how to make him a GF-runner (his second purpose) after he beat Baal.
Finally, when I was playing SpongebobIII, at one point in Act2 I was running around with a Sanctuary aura pwning physical immune undead. It dawned on me that Sanctuary + Find Item + reasonably fast kills + MF = a very solid Pindle runner. Since I've never once used Azurewrath before, mixing Pindleskin, Azurewrath, and MF runs became his third purpose.
Vit: everything else
Currently unspent stat points: 42
GF: ~50+f / ?? for the rest
Pindle: no idea
Damage & AR: ????
... but my AR is pretty low; that's my biggest concern so far, since Grief's ITD doesn't work on boss-types. It's also why I put an Eth instead of an Eld in the Azurewrath.
20 Sword Mastery, Whirlwind, Battle Orders, Find Item
2+ Increased Speed
1 Natural Resists, Berzerk, Taunt, Battle Command, prereq's
remaining points will likely go into Increased Speed, with maybe one or two making it into Natural Resists.
Mercenary:Code:- Weapon1: Grief Phaseblade (356) - Weapon2: ethereal Oath Colossus Sword (1.07 hax, 332%) - Weapon3: Azurewrath (eth rune) Grief + Oath, will be for questing & GF runs Grief + Azurewrath will be for Pindle runs. Weapon Switch (for horking): - 2x LemLem AliBaba's (GF) - 2x MF jewels AliBaba's (Pindle) Armor: - Fortitude (questing), - Wealth (GF), - Fortitude / Skullder's / Tals / ??? (for Pindle) Helm: - Arreat's (questing) - Lem'ed Crown of Thieves (GF) - Shako / Arreat's / ???? (Pindle) Amulet: - Tancred's Wierd (questing & Pindle) - Cresent Moon (GF) Ring1 (might potentially swap out for Pindle runs, but I doubt it): Beast Grasp Ring Required Level: 48 Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion Item Level: 87 Fingerprint: 0x6e9e41f4 +12 to Strength +13 to Dexterity +115 to Attack Rating Fire Resist +21% Lightning Resist +7% Cold Resist +7% Poison Resist +7% +50 poison damage over 3 seconds Ring2: - Dwarfstar (GF) - ???? for Pindle (Nagel or dual-leech is most likely) Gloves: - Dracul's (questing) - Chance Guard's (GF & Pindle) Belt: Goldwrap Battlebelt (I'm going to try some crafting to get a replacement with resists, GF and maybe FHR, but who knows if I'll get anything decent). Boots: - Infernostride (GF) - Tancred's (questing & Pindle) Charms: - 1x Gheeds - Resists & Sharp/Fine of various sizes & details
Level85, Might aura
Reaper's Toll (Shael) / Obedience eth Thresher
VampGaze (IAS) / Kira's Guardian (IAS)
Duress / Fortitude / Shaftstop (IAS) / Guardian Angel (IAS) / eth Treachery
Like the rest of my gear, his has been in a state of flux so far. The emphasis will be (and has always been) on making him survive (1st) and making him kick butt (2nd). I may rely on my mercs for tanking and making the occasional kill, but I don't EVER rely on them for MF (they're too slow to be consistent for that).
For the weapon, he started with Obedience, but the Reaper's became more useful later on when he started battling monsters that were higher level than him (it keeps him alive better). I might try switching back to the Obedience around level ~88+, but it's possible I'll stick with the Reapers. Or maybe I'll (somehow) get my hands on another eth Reaper's and settle it that way.
For the armor & helm, if I'm not using the Fortitude myself, I'll probably stick that on him. Otherwise he'll use Shaftstop for PindleRuns and who-knows-what for GF runs. Likewise, Vampgaze is a certain for Pindle runs, but the Kira's might become more desired if I feel it's safer for GF runs. At the moment, I don't have an Ist for Delerium, or that would get some consideration too.
- Dol/Io Hellforge. :( (two characters in a row with not one rune over Lum)
- Shimmering Jewel of Hope (8/16)
- Blood Raven's Charge
- The Redeemer
- Fanatic GC of Life (12)
- Vermillion Jewel of Wrath (+20)
and so close:
- rare gauntlets: (22l / 11c resists, 3% LLeech, 10 IAS, +2 Passive & Magic)... d'oh.
1. Have a look at my boots & amulet. Nice & stylish, eh? I've often wondered why Tancred's aren't used more for some pure-MF builds. Since this barb doesn't gain a lot from those slots it's a perfect combo for boosting his MF and allowing him to use other slots for more useful gear. For example, compare Fortitude + 2x Tancreds to WarTrav's + Tal's Armor + Highlord's... it's probably reasonably close in effectiveness, but the 300% ED on the Fortitude is something I'd like to keep (and it might actually be the better combo).
2. Questing was pretty straight forward and uneventful. He's only a little stronger than my Oath+DC whirler (from what I remember), but having both weapons indestructible is an improvement.
3. I died quite a bit, mostly because my equipment was in a constant state of flux and I had ~150 stat points saved (combined with a moderatly heavy investment in dex & str) - and I would whirl through anything... (read: "hmm... there's 3 Oblivion Knights on the other side of this massive pack of Abyss Knights... I should run around to avoid IM, but a direct whirl is much easier, and maybe I'll be lucky ").
4. He's still a little fragile for GF runs, depending on the spawn, but I haven't tried that task in 4 levels, so maybe it's better now that he's 85. I think 2-3 more levels and some practice will do the trick. Before fighting Ancients, he went from 81 to 84.5 on /p7 Pindle runs (with questing gear) and I don't think he'll have the slightest problem running Pindle - at any setting.
5. Speaking of Pindle, I think I'll do some testing on him for a bit. I'm sure I can spank him on lower settings, but I want to try some higher settings setups that maximize speed, MF, and safety. Once I get those somewhat figured out I'm going to do a proper comparison between him and my Blizzsorc. I'm pretty sure he'll outperform the Blizzy on lower settings (horking = 52% more items, meaning if his MF and speed are moderately comparable, the barb should win), but I'm not as sure about maintaining MF, speed, and safety at higher settings.
I'll post that comparison in its own thread when I'm more confident of my findings. Many folks might not read Pat threads, but anyone with thoughts on seriously running Pindleskin will (hopefully) want to read that thread.
6. This post has the links to the obligatory GF-running screenshots.
- Jaedhann for donating all of the ingredients (including runes) for the Oath, as well as his GF barb writeup (that was a nice sanity check for my Travincial planning and for tracking down +GF gear).
- Bassen (and Wanchu as the original source) for donating the Azurewrath