Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hindu chant in the palace levels?

Today I happened to see a documentary on television about an extremely odd case of conjoined twins. The other twin had developed only partly before being fused with her sister, who ended up having 4 legs and 4 arms. As this happened in India, she ended up being worshipped as an incarnation of the goddess Lakshmi, who is represented as having 4 arms.

The documentary was about the operation to remove the extra limbs which the girl couldn't control - they weren't really hers. The operation was of course risky, and the family was worried. So, before the operation, they brought the girl with them to a hindu temple to pray for fortune.

During that scene, I hear a chant in the hindu temple, which sounds strangely familiar. I recognized it in a moment - it was the same one played in the harem and palace cellar levels in Lut Gholein.

Has anyone else ever noticed this? Better yet, does anyone actually know which chant it is?

IncGamers Member

Re: Hindu chant in the palace levels?

There's also the possibility that it sounds the same to someone who doesn't speak the language.

BattleTag butch-1749

nah, they just used music from diablo in the documentary .)

No, I think both your suggestions are wrong (the second probably wasn't serious though). I'm a musician myself, and not only were the words the same, but the melody was too. Still, it wasn't exactly the same as in Diablo (as if they'd really use music from a video game) - the singer had a different voice, and the interpretation was a bit different too.

So...It was the same, but different?

I'm confused. I think it's just mere coincidence that it sounds similar at best. I did not see the documentary you refered too so I can't tell you if it's the same (or similar).

Also, FWIW - Alot of documentary shows (like the one you saw) sample or dub music into the piece they are shooting for numerous reasons. One being effect and another for clarity. It is a possibilty the music was added into the scene or shot to enhance the viewers feel of the Hindu people. Certain musical notes or music in general has a particular trigger in the brain for remembering, such as the sense of smell can trigger memories of things long forgotten or even places you have been. Music also can bring back vivid images and memories, such as the music from Diablo.

Sorry, fell back into my college days and a study I did on classical music. However, as I currently type this I'm listening to some "Rage Against the Machine"...Which reminds me to kick my neighbor's cat when I get home.

P

I continue to claim the music was the same. When I say it was different, I mean it in the way that a song sung by two different people is different, or a melody played by two different bands is different. No two performances are ever identical, and what I heard was the same piece of music sung by a different voice and played with different instruments by different people.

I do recognize that it might have been added to the scene for effect, and the chant was not actually sung during the temple visit in the documentary. Still, if it was added for effect, it probably has some significance in the hindu religion - or buddhist.

IncGamers Member

Is there a video of the scene in the documentary in question available?

IncGamers Member

I just had my wife who is from India confirm that the music is in Sanskrit, which is typical of Hindu prayer music, so at least that is probably true. She didn't have the patience or interest in listening to it repeatedly to translate, so I can't add much more.

IncGamers Member

Feysal, you are right. The chant, you're looking for is from the Vishnu Sahasranama - Sri Lakshmi Ashtottara Stotram.

Who's chanting if everyone in the palace is dead?